Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding Blog  (Read 23038 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Blog
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2014, 19:33:13 »

// TB thinks about a late night run to Northampton to nick the remains of a door from Bear Towers, as he's desperate to try his plasma cutter and welder ;D
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2014, 20:11:14 »

getting a proper bottle is a pita as i recall you can only rent them and they are v expensive.  i think maybe now you can buy them, certainly you can get pub co2 gas.  i gave up and just use the double disposables.  you will get thru a lot of gas while learning, better to put out too much than too little until you get the hang of it and recognise an oxidised weld.

Quite a lot of places do "rent free" bottles now - usually with a deposit, bit like a BBQ cylinder I suppose: http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/products/

davieboy0312

• wishaw
    • 3l V6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2014, 21:37:19 »

I use the hobby weld. I pay £65 for the bottle (refundable) then £28 quid to refill. Lasts ages

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2014, 09:07:21 »

Thanks for the replies boys.  :y

I think I've absorbed what you've all said. I think it may be a case of just going for it..... come on Postman  >:( >:( >:( ;D

And thanks for all the links to stuff. I checked out that MIG welding forum before. But I do prefer to chat to you gays guys.  ;D

The warping explanation makes total sense Aaron. Thinking ahead slightly, i'll be putting together a table. So presumably when welding the legs to the table top frame I would use as many tack welds as poss. Then short stitches til its all joined.... cos obviously I don't want the leg to be at an angle  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2014, 09:49:47 »

Joining something as short as the sides of square tube to a long tube, warping won't really be a problem unless you do something very daft indeed :)

But yes - one tack, make sure it's still 90º, another tack, check again, third tack, check again, fourth tack.. and now just complete the welds on each side and you're done.

Easy. He says. ;D

Might take some practice but if you've got plenty of tube, knock up a tiny version or two first as a practice run  :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2014, 09:56:12 »

Joining something as short as the sides of square tube to a long tube, warping won't really be a problem unless you do something very daft indeed :)

But yes - one tack, make sure it's still 90º, another tack, check again, third tack, check again, fourth tack.. and now just complete the welds on each side and you're done.

Easy. He says. ;D

Might take some practice but if you've got plenty of tube, knock up a tiny version or two first as a practice run  :y

This is me mate so yes, daft things can happen very easy!  ;D

Thanks mate.

Hypothetical example.

I do a couple of tack welds and find its now out of kilter from 90 degrees........ do I restart all over or manipulate it back by hammer hand? presumably a couple of tack welds wouldn't be able to stop 18 stone of prime bear from moving it back by hand?
« Last Edit: 21 November 2014, 09:58:17 by Webby the Bear »
RIP Paul Lovejoy

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2014, 09:57:24 »

Easy. He says. ;D

Thanks mate.

Hypothetical example.

I do a couple of tack welds and find its now out of kilter from 90 degrees........ do I restart all over or manipulate it back by hammer hand? presumably a couple of tack welds wouldn't be able to stop 18 stone of prime bear from moving it back by hand?

If its out of kilter grind off the tacks and go again :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2014, 09:58:56 »

Easy. He says. ;D

Thanks mate.

Hypothetical example.

If its out of kilter grind off the tacks and go again :y

Will do, thanks mate  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2014, 10:00:31 »

Yup, what Henry said ;) If the tacks are decent you'd be hard pressed to do anything to adjust it by hand.

Although I remember the first tack I did .. I touched it and it dropped off again ;D Second attempt was a bit better - even the lump hammer wasn't shifting it :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2014, 10:04:17 »

;D ;D ;D

The first attempt I had was at Symes' and I burned straight through  ::) I cant remember but I think I did a bead. and it looked ok  :-\

To be fair though I literally didn't know anything. . . . . so not much has changed  ;D
RIP Paul Lovejoy

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2014, 10:11:08 »

You should be able to buy a spot weld nozzle for it as well,,,which makes it an even better tool,,,,And can I suggest that when you are not using your welder that you keep it very dry and not in a damp place because if the wire gets a bit damp then it tends to get a coating of mildew on it and then when you come to use it again as the wire passes through the liner on its way out of the nozzle it will deposit all of that crap on the inside of the liner and make it stick/jerk and ruin the liner.. :y :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2014, 10:12:43 »

Practice  makes perfect matey  :y :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2014, 12:59:27 »

Thanks Flyer  :y :y :y

Still awaiting delivery...although magnets have turned up  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2014, 14:50:23 »

Santa's just been  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Prob going to take me several days a few minutes to set this up  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2014, 15:19:15 »

Haven't you unpacked it yet... ::)

No prizes for guessing what you'll be doing ALL weekend :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.