Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding Blog  (Read 23035 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Welding Blog
« Reply #90 on: 25 November 2014, 10:04:01 »

Cyanide is only an issue on galvanised steel, prep the surface with a grinder and its not an issue.

aaronjb

« Reply #91 on: 25 November 2014, 10:14:46 »

A little cyanide never hurt anyone, right?

omega3000

« Reply #92 on: 25 November 2014, 10:54:18 »

A little cyanide never hurt anyone, right?

That does look like Webby when his cam belt snapped and he had a fag to calm his nerves  ;D ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 25 November 2014, 11:59:16 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Silly boys  ::)

Re, welding am i right in thinking that if i get a load of spatter (balls of weld flying everywhere, covering the work piece etc) that i have the settings too low?

If i hear an internittent cracking then my wire speed is too high and i need to bring it down til i get a continuous buzz or ''sizzle''?

and finally.... with the clarke machine can i go between two wire speeds i.e. have it on 3.5?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 25 November 2014, 12:13:19 »

I was taught that if you are getting just a very clean hum with little crackling or sizzle you are probably welding in spray transfer mode which is probably not what you want. You need just a little more speed on the wire feed until it starts to crackle. Then again, I'm no expert. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 25 November 2014, 12:24:23 »

Thanks Kev,

My ma went to the local metal fab shop and they gave her a bucket full of 2 - 3mm steel for £10 for me to practise on (not scrap...they actually ct out squares for her :))

So, going to see if i can improve using the thicker metal.

Even though i consider my first effort a disaster, i got it right two or three times so i know exactly what to look for to say ''yep, thats diong well''.

if i still cant get it right theres a guy in notrhampton on the welding forum who has offered to spend a couple of hours with newbies to teach them.... ill PM him and see if he'd take pity on me with offers of beer and beef jerkie (god that stuffs good)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 25 November 2014, 13:17:48 »

By the way - I have that same welder and I cannot get enough shielding gas out of the torch unless the regulator is up flat out. Turn OFF(!) the welder, and see if you can hear gas hissing from the nozzle when you pull the trigger with it near your ear.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 25 November 2014, 13:25:34 »

Thanks Kev,

I'm definitely getting some gas cos when i pull the trigger approx. half way i can hear it hissing out. Thats with it set on 4.

If the gas doesnt come out and/or it's blown away will it cause those rusty looking welds i had in my pic? Any other issues lack of gas creates (just so i know what i will run in to)

people say it causes porous welds but ive no idea what that means visually  :-[
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #98 on: 25 November 2014, 13:55:46 »

Ill PM him and see if he'd take pity on me with offers of beer and beef jerkie (god that stuffs good)

Offer him Biltong instead.. makes beef jerky look like the dried up boot leather that it is.. ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 25 November 2014, 14:28:51 »

If there is no wind then you need hardly any gas, 'a witches breath' was what I was always taught.

Get outside and the shield gas will soon disperse at which point you will need it flat out.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 25 November 2014, 14:42:23 »

Thanks Kev,

I'm definitely getting some gas cos when i pull the trigger approx. half way i can hear it hissing out. Thats with it set on 4.

If the gas doesnt come out and/or it's blown away will it cause those rusty looking welds i had in my pic? Any other issues lack of gas creates (just so i know what i will run in to)

people say it causes porous welds but ive no idea what that means visually  :-[

OK. I can't hear anything with mine until it's up to 6, so there must be some variation between the regulators. Sounds like you're OK. :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 25 November 2014, 15:07:18 »

As mentioned sadly being indoors / garage isnt an option unless i spend many hours clearing my dads stuff lol to which he'll be very upset.

ill defo go with the windbreak.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

aaronjb

« Reply #102 on: 25 November 2014, 15:17:38 »

OK. I can't hear anything with mine until it's up to 6, so there must be some variation between the regulators. Sounds like you're OK. :y

"Made in China"? ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 25 November 2014, 17:04:10 »

"Made in China"? ;D

The very same. :y Probably down to the canister, even, as I think it just has a pin that acts down on the valve in the tip of the cylinder.

Really must get myself a pub cylinder. ::)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 26 November 2014, 13:19:14 »

I've gone with the double capacity tanks. but if they too run out as quickly as the first did (i suspect) then ill have to invest.

are there any other offers to consider on big tanks? and you rent the tank and just pay for refills. (or rent free as someone elluded to earlier)
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.