Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: omega models  (Read 2279 times)

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
omega models
« on: 16 December 2014, 23:54:15 »

I have had around 9....2.2 omegas (desmonds as you call them  :y )  and the only real problems I had was three with head gasket failure,apart from that realy reliable....I have been looking at a 2003...2.6 omega and wondering if I should have it....I have had a 2.5 and had nothing but bother...so what are the opinions of a 2.6../ 3.2..as the thought of.....cam cover gaskets..oil coolers...self levelling suspension..extra .exhaust sensors.... and other common issues all going wrong coupled with dearer insurance....why do most of you prefer the larger engine motors......apart from the extra power ...what is there to gain  :-\ :-\

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: omega models
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2014, 00:54:26 »

I have had around 9....2.2 omegas (desmonds as you call them  :y )  and the only real problems I had was three with head gasket failure,apart from that realy reliable....I have been looking at a 2003...2.6 omega and wondering if I should have it....I have had a 2.5 and had nothing but bother...so what are the opinions of a 2.6../ 3.2..as the thought of.....cam cover gaskets..oil coolers...self levelling suspension..extra .exhaust sensors.... and other common issues all going wrong coupled with dearer insurance....why do most of you prefer the larger engine motors......apart from the extra power ...what is there to gain  :-\ :-\

Nothing unless you want to drive particularly fast, the 2.2 has the same comfort of the bigger engines, just not quite as fast but a bit more economical on fuel, and a lot cheaper for engine repairs than the V6.......... :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2014, 10:39:20 »

It's always been the tradition, the straight six Vauxhall, literally since the 1900s... with the passing of the Carlton and Senny, the new generation of all-singing-all-dancing V6 engines carried on that tradition. Nothing more advanced that 'big car, big engine', really.

But you're right - what is the difference? Having all the comfort, space, etc.. but with a smaller engine, bit more economy, and as mentioned a lot less oily bits to go wrong, a third less spark plugs and HT leads, for starters!  ;D

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2014, 12:43:09 »

Insurance for me is more expensive for a 2.2 . I think when you
weigh things up the 2.2 has other related niggles that the v6
does not ... mpg not much in it  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2014, 15:59:16 »

It's always been the tradition, the straight six Vauxhall, literally since the 1900s... with the passing of the Carlton and Senny, the new generation of all-singing-all-dancing V6 engines carried on that tradition. Nothing more advanced that 'big car, big engine', really.

But you're right - what is the difference? Having all the comfort, space, etc.. but with a smaller engine, bit more economy, and as mentioned a lot less oily bits to go wrong, a third less spark plugs and HT leads, for starters!  ;D

The superior V6 facelift does not have HT leads.... ;D ;D

The 2.2 is not an Omega. :-X All Omega come with a V6. :-X :-X

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2014, 16:32:52 »

No , it has an extortionately priced coil pack x2  :P

2.2 easier to work on though  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2014, 16:41:58 »

But of course...

Only exception is if it's a prefacelift in black - with three steel wheels and a flat tyre, no HT leads currently fitted, a yellowed header tank and no MoT.. in which case that is definitely the fastestest!!  :y :y :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2014, 17:04:50 »

I almost bought a 2.2 sport , immaculate body and interior . Did an insurance quote and was £80 more to insure than the 3.0 elite  ::) Not knocking the 2.2 but from what i hear on here is that the head gaskets are a weak point  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2014, 17:16:26 »

Not knocking the 2.2 but from what i hear on here is that the head gaskets are a weak point  :-\
Hmmm. 1998 3.0l V6's seem to suffer HG problems as well.

At least on the K series Rover I had, it only ate one HG.  The bloody bullet has chomped its way through it's 2nd now  >:(
Grumpy old man

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2014, 17:24:46 »

Not knocking the 2.2 but from what i hear on here is that the head gaskets are a weak point  :-\

At least on the K series Rover I had, it only ate one HG.  The bloody bullet has chomped its way through it's 2nd now  >:(

I should imagine all those still running water tight have been sorted  :-X HG not a biggie job on either really  :)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2014, 17:29:35 »

MMM Emd sounds like your on borrowed time too  ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2014, 17:32:53 »

MMM Emd sounds like your on borrowed time too  ;D ;D ;D

;D

A lot suspected head gasket on my old 3.0 elite of the same era , i cooked the engine when the rad got blocked but it never affected the HG  :)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2014, 17:43:02 »

lets face it.The 2.6 is only a wannabe too. :y

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2014, 17:43:11 »

Oh well..appears that because I am a tight old git that i may well stay with the desmond,,,which mr opti.....has an omega badge on it...ha.ha.ha...cheers people. :y :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2014, 11:37:33 »

Reposting a pic I've used on another thread, as it is relevant to this, ie: a smaller engine in a 'big' Vauxhall isn't a bad thing - (unless it's the old man's useless 1.8 in a lardy Insignia-ficant 'SRi'  ::)) - which does about the same mpg as my Turbo Weasel. He sold me the TD because he wanted a smaller car and more fuel economy  :y ... I digress... below is another example of alll the 'show' but not much of the 'go'

Love the look of the 50s-70s Vauxhalls. Now thinking of stuff like the Jag XJ with the entry level 2 litre(I think it's a 2l?) etc...

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.