Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car tax difficulty  (Read 1778 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Car tax difficulty
« on: 18 December 2014, 17:32:26 »

Son bought a S/H car on 1st December, it had a tax disc, (no V5), but as we know that is invalid when car sold. He sent off to DVLA for tax on 4th Dec. recorded delivery. He received his cheque back yesterday, on the 17th, with a letter dated 12th Dec, and the message, "we are unable to process the payment until we have issued  the V5".????? So at the moment, having had the car for over two weeks, he is unable to drive it. Any suggestions... apart from sending a cruise missile to Swansea? >:( >:( >:(

05omegav6

Re: Car tax difficulty
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2014, 17:39:49 »

Tax it online ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2014, 18:08:17 »

The problem is he has no new keeper certificate either, and as DVLA is showing the car is taxed until Feb '15, clearly the dealer has not notified DVLA either. As the dealer is also, spookily, in Swansea, I still think a cruise missile is the answer. Clearly son should have been given the new keeper slip by the dealer, however as this is torn off the V5 which, as the car had changed hands a few times very quickly, is lost somewhere, he has no chance. He tells me he has been jumping through all these hoops for the last two weeks.:(
« Last Edit: 18 December 2014, 18:15:06 by Shackeng »

The Sheriff

« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2014, 19:56:57 »

People seem loathe to actually ring DVLA. I've done it quite a few times and always found them helpful.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2014, 20:04:08 »

The problem is he has no new keeper certificate either, and as DVLA is showing the car is taxed until Feb '15, clearly the dealer has not notified DVLA either. As the dealer is also, spookily, in Swansea, I still think a cruise missile is the answer. Clearly son should have been given the new keeper slip by the dealer, however as this is torn off the V5 which, as the car had changed hands a few times very quickly, is lost somewhere, he has no chance. He tells me he has been jumping through all these hoops for the last two weeks.:(
Website will tell him what to do... worst case tax at post office with a V5 application form, rfl application form, MoT and Insurance certs... but do it before end of December to avoid being stung for keeping an un notified vehicle on the road.

Also do DVLA Vehicle check, as if it has a VIC marker, no V5 will be issued until that's done.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2014, 22:55:51 »

Website will tell him what to do... worst case tax at post office with a V5 application form, rfl application form, MoT and Insurance certs... but do it before end of December to avoid being stung for keeping an un notified vehicle on the road.

Also do DVLA Vehicle check, as if it has a VIC marker, no V5 will be issued until that's done.

Apparently you need the previous owners details to do this, and as the car had been through 3 or 4 dealers in the previous week or so these were not avlbl. ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2014, 23:01:05 »

Apparently you need the previous owners details to do this, and as the car had been through 3 or 4 dealers in the previous week or so these were not avlbl. ::)
Tosh...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=v62%20application%20form&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gov.uk%2Fgovernment%2Fuploads%2Fsystem%2Fuploads%2Fattachment_data%2Ffile%2F360103%2FV62_220714.pdf&ei=S1yTVJekNsHOO7L_gMgB&usg=AFQjCNGht2OzCDMYdZ8CCoTts8FFJgzf9g&bvm=bv.82001339,d.ZWU :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2014, 08:25:37 »

If he has a receipt for the sale and its Mot'd and obviously still taxed, he can drive it as long as its insured...

He is the owner of the vehicle, so therefore the registered keeper in theory...

Id take the chance meself and drive it...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2014, 08:28:54 »

If he has a receipt for the sale and its Mot'd and obviously still taxed, he can drive it as long as its insured...

The tax disc expired at the first sale, assuming noone else taxed it since.

The car can be registered and taxed at the Post Office. No need to break the law, and to suggest such action is retarded, unless you're offering to pay the fines.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2014, 09:25:18 »

The tax disc expired at the first sale, assuming noone else taxed it since.

The car can be registered and taxed at the Post Office. No need to break the law, and to suggest such action is retarded, unless you're offering to pay the fines.

.. and also assuming one of the previous keepers bothered to send the slip to the DVLA!

If it's still showing up as taxed, it's taxed, so I'd drive it. It's not as if you haven't gone to significant hassle to try and pay it, after all.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 19 December 2014, 10:36:15 »

Filling in a V62 and a V10 will get it taxed and registered... Two birds one stone and postdate any previous keeper changes... There's trying and there's Trying...

Try harder ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 December 2014, 11:11:13 »

Filling in a V62 and a V10 will get it taxed and registered... Two birds one stone and postdate any previous keeper changes... There's trying and there's Trying...

Try harder ;)

Yeah, it is trying, you're right. How hard can they make it to buy a car? >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 December 2014, 13:56:21 »

People seem loathe to actually ring DVLA. I've done it quite a few times and always found them helpful.
https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Yes I got hold of them this morning. Very helpful, and gave me the full story, they confirmed that despite the fact that son had - correctly - filled out V62 and applied for tax, as far as DVLA is concerned it is still registered to the previous owner, and until they either
1) receive the V5/3 Notification slip (from the bottom of V5)
2) receive a reply to their letter dated 12th Dec. to the registered owner confirming change of ownership.
or 3) two weeks have elapsed from the date of the letter from DVLA requesting confirmation.

It is not possible to tax it. >:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 December 2014, 16:16:31 »

Try harder ;)

Well, I'm afraid that DVLA don't agree with your suggestion Al. ???

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 19 December 2014, 16:37:46 »

At risk of being argumentative, I have taxed and registered a car using that process...

Only two reasons for not being able to are either a VIC being required or no current Mot on file...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.