Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airbag Light  (Read 7025 times)

rikki_essex

• essex
    • 2L gls estate with lpg 20
    • View Profile
Airbag Light
« on: 20 December 2014, 23:14:15 »

Evening All, I need to reset the airbag light on the car and i was thinking of buying something off ebay to reset it but my car is a w reg facelift and all of the adverts are saying it will only work with post 2001 car does anyone know what i need to get instead? 
regards Rik

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Airbag Light
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2014, 23:41:52 »

I stand to be corrected, but having been there iirc it can't be reset, certainly not by anything you buy of ebay, I have a code reader myself, works well enough but could not reset the air bag. I needed to buy a part, but for the life of me I cant remember what the part is called, though I can picture it....... :-[ ::) ::)

I am sure someone will be along who can give a better answer, me I sold the car, never fixed the problem...... :D :D

4x4

« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2014, 23:43:24 »

Airbag ecu

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 December 2014, 00:04:07 »

Airbag ecu

That's the one.......... :y :y

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 December 2014, 00:06:42 »

Ok no problem can vauxhall not reset it with a tech 2. Ive only just bought the car and the only reason the light is on is because they changed the seats but forgot to wait 15 minutes before doing the job.
regards Rik

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 December 2014, 00:22:13 »

Ok no problem can vauxhall not reset it with a tech 2. Ive only just bought the car and the only reason the light is on is because they changed the seats but forgot to wait 15 minutes before doing the job.

Worth a try, you need to get it sorted one way or another as it won't pass an MOT with the light on.............. ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2014, 00:41:55 »

I bought a 'cheapo Tech II' with the Hungarian software to talk to my car .......... it reset a couple of airbags, Omega & Astra.  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2014, 00:43:44 »

If it was that simple, Vauxhall would be able to reset the SRS light. If the seats have been changed, it's likely the wrong seats have been fitted iie early seats into a late car that don't have airbags

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2014, 05:20:41 »

is there any way to clear the light then if that is the case
regards Rik

powerslinky

« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2014, 08:12:42 »

is there any way to clear the light then if that is the case

Pretty sure it's Tech 2 only to get light off. :-\     The other option ?    clocks out & remove the bulb. 10 min job ;) ;)

Apparently not an MOT failure if light does not work at all I was told :-\ :-\

My previous 2.6 MV6 had this problem after a seat change & I removed the bulb .

saw new owner just yesterday & it has since passed a new MOT with no advisories with bulb still out ;)
« Last Edit: 21 December 2014, 08:21:08 by Essex Big Al »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2014, 09:24:22 »

rikki_essex - you should have popped in on your way back down from collecting it ;)

Bulb removal is highly discouraged - if the light is on (or would be if it had a bulb), the entire SRS system is disabled.

No generic OBDII reader will clear airbags on *any* Omega.  Egay sellers universally talk shite.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2014, 09:26:48 »

Most Vauxhall specific readers should be able to either turn it off, or tell you why it can't be.
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2014, 09:55:23 »

rikki_essex - you should have popped in on your way back down from collecting it ;)

Bulb removal is highly discouraged - if the light is on (or would be if it had a bulb), the entire SRS system is disabled.

No generic OBDII reader will clear airbags on *any* Omega.  Egay sellers universally talk shite.

Bloody hell ! . . .  I didn't realise that TB   :o :o :o :o        Need mine sorting then  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2014, 10:54:22 »

Unless it's a 'cheapo Tech II'  ::)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2014, 12:16:17 »

Your just baiting him now,  lol
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

05omegav6

« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2014, 13:26:21 »

If you can give details of the seats, then might be able to help resolve the problem before you reset it... Perfectly possible to unplug the seats, ignition off and key out, without disconnecting the battery or putting the light on... which suggests a problem :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2014, 18:31:24 »

S'not a generic reader Mr B, is Vauxhall specific...  ...and if you can find an old enough laptop, not a bad bit of kit for the money :y.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2014, 18:34:54 »

If you can give details of the seats, then might be able to help resolve the problem before you reset it... Perfectly possible to unplug the seats, ignition off and key out, without disconnecting the battery or putting the light on... which suggests a problem :-\
It may be as simple as somebody had the ignition on with the seat out/unplugged. Some variants of the SAB6 ECU will keep the light on.

Assuming nobody has messed around swapping seats, the usual suspects are contacter unit in steering, drivers main airbag, or side airbags (MFL/FL).

If someone has swapped seats, hopefully its a case they turned ignition on with them unplugged. Worse case is wrong seats.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2014, 18:45:02 »

It may be as simple as somebody had the ignition on with the seat out/unplugged.

Easily done, too.. I set mine off by unplugging the door loom (trying to get the speaker working) and then forgetting it was out and switching the ignition on..  ::) Which is why I own one of those code readers we can't talk about, as well as the MaxiScan ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 December 2014, 18:50:50 »

It may be as simple as somebody had the ignition on with the seat out/unplugged.

Easily done, too.. I set mine off by unplugging the door loom (trying to get the speaker working) and then forgetting it was out and switching the ignition on..  ::) Which is why I own one of those code readers we can't talk about, as well as the MaxiScan ;D
If the price for (a genuine) one wasn't so unbelievably outrageous, I'd recommend them in a flash (but still recommend its not used for programming).

Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 21 December 2014, 18:57:13 »

Knew I had read it somewhere :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 December 2014, 19:31:19 »

The cheapo pc software that isnt allowed to be mentioned will reset the light... The ignition more than likely was switched on with the seats out or the wrong seats have been installed without airbags...

The only other way round it is to install an airbag ECU that id from a car that doesnt have the side airbags... but then it may not be compatible with the wiring loom in your Omega... IIRC there are 4 types of airbag ECU...

Depending on the MoT station and how well you know them or how lenient they are.... the airbag HAS to light then extinguish itself and not come back on within 10 seconds... if it doesn't light at all, then it is an instant failure - or should be...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 December 2014, 19:38:33 »

The cheapo pc software that isnt allowed to be mentioned will reset the light... The ignition more than likely was switched on with the seats out or the wrong seats have been installed without airbags...

The only other way round it is to install an airbag ECU that id from a car that doesnt have the side airbags... but then it may not be compatible with the wiring loom in your Omega... IIRC there are 4 types of airbag ECU...

Depending on the MoT station and how well you know them or how lenient they are.... the airbag HAS to light then extinguish itself and not come back on within 10 seconds... if it doesn't light at all, then it is an instant failure - or should be...

Not since March 2013.  ;)
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 December 2014, 19:45:06 »

But also said that Vauxhall were unable to reset the light  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 21 December 2014, 19:49:45 »

Which suggests an actual issue, hence the question regarding old and new seats... Rocket science 101 it isn't  :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 December 2014, 20:17:04 »

Where does it say that?   :-\
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 December 2014, 20:18:24 »

The only other way round it is to install an airbag ECU that id from a car that doesnt have the side airbags...
How will that help?
Grumpy old man

powerslinky

« Reply #27 on: 21 December 2014, 20:22:20 »

Think someone has read the earlier post wrong  . . . OP is asking  "Can Vauxhall  not reset the airbag light?"   

NOT . . . Vauxhall were unable to reset the airbag light . . .  . Thats how I thought I read it anyway :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: 21 December 2014, 20:32:40 by Essex Big Al »

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 21 December 2014, 20:22:29 »

Sentence before the one I highlighted ;)

Looking at Maries previous posts, the seats came from her other/preceeding Omega, but not sure of the spec of that car. This one is an early facelift GLS, and I vaguely remembered summat being said wrt issues wiring them in at the time... :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 21 December 2014, 20:25:10 »

The only other way round it is to install an airbag ECU that id from a car that doesnt have the side airbags...
How will that help?
Clearly it won't ::)

It is possible to swap the pretensioners to suit, but only if the seats have side airbags, ie mid to post facelift and vice versa...

Wrote an essay in Omega Help last week about it :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 December 2014, 20:27:19 »

Yep,it was dropped at that time but is now back on again, airbag on =fail,airbag light no lighty= fail :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 December 2014, 20:46:08 »

Do we know if this car has the right seats?
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 21 December 2014, 20:56:27 »

Do we know if this car has the right seats?
Might have come from this car...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=121178.15

But they clearly weren't original to it... mismatch of front/rear headrests...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 December 2014, 20:56:56 »

Oops! misread reply #4 ...............  ::)

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 December 2014, 23:38:36 »

Yep,it was dropped at that time but is now back on again, airbag on =fail,airbag light no lighty= fail :y

Bin watching too much of that "take me out" Good show, just get bored once they have jiggled down the steps..

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 22 December 2014, 10:35:52 »

Found it...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=106367.msg1352467#msg1352467

Guinney fitted the Elite plumbing and Marie simply swapped from cloth to leather.

If the leather front seats came from the black Mid facelift estate, then they likely have the wrong pretensioners fitted... hence the light not being able to be reset ;)

The Sheriff

« Reply #36 on: 22 December 2014, 11:41:07 »

Found it...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=106367.msg1352467#msg1352467

Guinney fitted the Elite plumbing and Marie simply swapped from cloth to leather.

If the leather front seats came from the black Mid facelift estate, then they likely have the wrong pretensioners fitted... hence the light not being able to be reset ;)
Nice one, Sherlock.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 22 December 2014, 16:55:44 »

Nah, pretensioners are the same (pyro)
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 22 December 2014, 17:10:57 »

Thought early ones were mechanical  :-\

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 22 December 2014, 17:12:28 »

They were, up to the crossover point mid 1997
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 December 2014, 17:20:52 »

Thought early ones were mechanical  :-\
I knew there was a reason I wrote that long guide :P ;D

As Robg says, mechanical for PFL, pyro for MFL/FL
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #41 on: 22 December 2014, 17:39:23 »

Gotcha ;) There might well be detail differences between mfl and fl...

My other plod came with early MV6 seats bolted in and the factory fitted late GLS seats in the boot minus the pretensioners. A box containing various odds and ends also had two pretensioners loose in it, which had been replaced on the MV6 seats by those from the original seats. So I took these spare pretensioners to be different  :-\

P/N to follow...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 22 December 2014, 18:07:35 »

There might well be detail differences between mfl and fl...
There are cosmetic differences as well, as you say - the rather naff FL Elite leather is less naff looking than the MFL naff leather (equally as naff as PFL) ;D

Obviously, in this discussion, I doubt cosmetics are a factor....
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #43 on: 22 December 2014, 18:22:28 »

Right hand...

Left hand...

And the seats they came from...

Plugs are green with one blue and one brown wire.

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 05 January 2015, 23:40:35 »

sorry ive only just seen all the comments i havnt really found the time to look into it any more as both the kids have been ill over Christmas. I will have to sort it soon as the mot is on the 16th but also been having a bit of trouble with the battery light coming on and wouldn't start the other morning so ive got a few things to sort out.
regards Rik

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 January 2015, 14:40:52 »

ive just had a chance to read the codes for the airbag light and its saying the following codes

Total number of fault codes: 2

00035 - Driver Pretensioner Circuit High Resistance
Present

00037 - Passenger Pretensioner Circuit High Resistance
Present
Any idea what my next steps need to be to get it all working again? Thanks in advance Rikki
regards Rik

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 18 January 2015, 14:42:27 »

ive just had a chance to read the codes for the airbag light and its saying the following codes

Total number of fault codes: 2

00035 - Driver Pretensioner Circuit High Resistance
Present

00037 - Passenger Pretensioner Circuit High Resistance
Present
Any idea what my next steps need to be to get it all working again? Thanks in advance Rikki
That's suspicious.  Have you changed the seats?
Grumpy old man

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 18 January 2015, 14:43:20 »

i havnt but i think Marie did who i bought it off
regards Rik

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 18 January 2015, 14:44:56 »

i havnt but i think Marie did who i bought it off
Ah 'dangle berries'.

Can you check if seats have side airbags (will be about halfway up rear bit).
Grumpy old man

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 January 2015, 14:59:46 »

Yes they do have airbags in them
regards Rik

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 18 January 2015, 15:29:06 »

Did you attempt to reset ecu?
Grumpy old man

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 18 January 2015, 15:31:17 »

Yes but they came straight up again
regards Rik

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 18 January 2015, 15:34:04 »

Check the pretensioners are plugged in, and that they haven't been activated
Grumpy old man

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 18 January 2015, 15:36:56 »

Sorry for sounding blond but how will I know if they have been set off
regards Rik

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 18 January 2015, 15:49:38 »

I've just had a quick look the only thing that is not connected is a pink connector
regards Rik

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
regards Rik

powerslinky

« Reply #56 on: 18 January 2015, 16:20:48 »

Riki  . . . I have changed a couple of sets of MV6 seats for Elite ones  & there is a problem that occurs   with the yellow connector on passenger side . This is only used on Elites for the "child seat " facility & should not be plugged in when putting Elite seats into other models  AFAIK.

On both the MV6's I have  put Elite seats into this yellow connctor block was just taped up below the seat . The first one I changed I connected this yellow block connector & the  airbag light came on  . . . second one I did I left it unconnected & all is ok  Presume it will be the same on the GLS or any other model bar the Elite.
But in my cases I was swapping FL  into FL  not sure that is the case with yours or the yellow connector will even be laying below the seat on the GLS .Hope this makes sense  & may help :-\

EDIT:  I think RobG did post up a picture of this yellow connector  . . . but had a quick look & could not find it  :( :(
« Last Edit: 18 January 2015, 16:31:15 by Essex Big Al »

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 18 January 2015, 16:33:54 »

:y

powerslinky

« Reply #58 on: 18 January 2015, 16:37:20 »

:y

Yellow block connector for child seat senor will not be in that picture  . .  .  as it is only on the passenger side

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 18 January 2015, 16:51:40 »

Ok thankyou very much for that I'll check it in the morning. Should that pink connector be plugged in anywhere. Also Al I forgot I asked you for the cruise control stalk have you still got it?
regards Rik

05omegav6

« Reply #61 on: 18 January 2015, 16:55:37 »

Sorry for sounding blond but how will I know if they have been set off
Look at the buckle. On the side facing the seat you'll notice a slot about 1.5" long across the face of the buckle...
When the pretensioners have been triggered a yellowy orange tab appears in this slot. Can't miss it :y

Should add, if you're wearing the belt when they fire you'll probably have a cracked rib and a really impressive bruise...
« Last Edit: 18 January 2015, 17:01:48 by Taxi Al »

powerslinky

« Reply #62 on: 18 January 2015, 16:56:31 »

Ok thankyou very much for that I'll check it in the morning. Should that pink connector be plugged in anywhere. Also Al I forgot I asked you for the cruise control stalk have you still got it?

Yep ! ;)

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 18 January 2015, 17:01:52 »

Would it be possible to pick it up in the next week or so my best mate lives in Eastwood and I should be popping over to see him this week
regards Rik

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 18 January 2015, 17:23:22 »

I've just had a quick look the only thing that is not connected is a pink connector
Normally for the pre-tensioners ;)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 18 January 2015, 17:26:19 »

Thanks Rob but the pink conector seems to be coming from the front of the car rather than the pretensioners and I couldn't really see where it shouled be plugged in
regards Rik

powerslinky

« Reply #66 on: 18 January 2015, 18:03:21 »

Thanks Rob but the pink conector seems to be coming from the front of the car rather than the pretensioners and I couldn't really see where it shouled be plugged in

Rikki, if you want to ,when you come over in mid week we can compare whats plugged in where to my my MV6 with elite seats fitted  ;)

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 18 January 2015, 18:06:00 »

Ok the would be great thanks Al
regards Rik

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 19 January 2015, 17:22:59 »

The pink plug should be plugged in, so looks like you've found your problem :)
Grumpy old man

rikki_essex

• essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 19 January 2015, 17:27:04 »

Ok good stuff now I just have to find where's it's meant to be plugged in
regards Rik

05omegav6

« Reply #70 on: 19 January 2015, 17:29:29 »

Shouldn't it be clipped to the main connected block? :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 19 January 2015, 17:37:17 »

Shouldn't it be clipped to the main connected block? :-\
The one from the seat should be, and the one from the cabin loom near the sill :y
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #72 on: 19 January 2015, 18:02:14 »

Gotcha :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.