Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wheel bolts  (Read 4001 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: wheel bolts
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2018, 17:22:41 »

They were available on the SPORT model in the mid 70,s. I know this because I drove one that was 3 days old, and found out that the sporty alloys with slightly wider tyres meant that it tipped up and tried to roll onto its roof easier than the one with really skinny tyres.
The owner was a mate of mine, until he gave me a drive in it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2018, 17:39:30 »

Soaked the remaining three locking bolts in plus gas and penetrating oil (the best i could) tried to undo but tool kept rolling off. Went to local national tyres explaining problem , initially told couldn't help but had a go when i produced special adapter. He tried but no go,he then tried with nut gun in an attempt to thump it off and managed to shock all three off : I was so chuffed i gave the bloke £20 not bad for 10minutes but worth every penny to me, as could have been very expensive
Pleased you got it sorted. Much too late to help you now, it has dawned on me exactly what you said; you had the correct removal tool, but it was rolling off the nut and not undoing it This is what would happen if you put the tool on the nut and heaved on one end of a long breaker bar. With a high torque nut gun applying an even torque there is no tendency for the tool to roll off the nut, so off it came.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2018, 19:10:57 »

You can actually buy Wheel Nut Caps that look like the Locking Wheel Bolts to the passing eye now, i assume there a lot easier to remove.  ;)

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2018, 20:04:42 »

Thanks Albs for offer but luckily i'd kept original bolts. Yep Terry the even pressure impact seemed to do the trick
Omegod i managed to get one off by myself,which was a result on the day  :) seriously thanks to all for help and concern ,my omega now has fresh oil and filter
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2018, 07:39:52 »

Still fairly common round here.We must obviously have a lower class of pikey ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2018, 10:49:50 »

Thanks Albs for offer but luckily i'd kept original bolts. Yep Terry the even pressure impact seemed to do the trick
Omegod i managed to get one off by myself,which was a result on the day  :) seriously thanks to all for help and concern ,my omega now has fresh oil and filter
Of course. with a puncture at the roadside you would have no chance of getting off that self locking nut and changing the wheel. As said earler in this thread, self locking nuts are horrible things, best discarded and replaced with normal nuts on purchase of a used car.

Toledodude1973

• Omega Knight
  • IPSWICH U.K.
  • 2002 2.6 elite,1973 ,Gas van,1974 victor fe
    • 2.6 OMEGA ELITE 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2018, 19:21:36 »

yes Terry, a simple puncture would have been a nightmare  ;)
2002 omega slowly morphing into 2003 omega with increasing doner parts fitted

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 March 2018, 12:03:36 »

Soaked the remaining three locking bolts in plus gas and penetrating oil (the best i could) tried to undo but tool kept rolling off. Went to local national tyres explaining problem , initially told couldn't help but had a go when i produced special adapter. He tried but no go,he then tried with nut gun in an attempt to thump it off and managed to shock all three off : I was so chuffed i gave the bloke £20 not bad for 10minutes but worth every penny to me, as could have been very expensive
Pleased you got it sorted. Much too late to help you now, it has dawned on me exactly what you said; you had the correct removal tool, but it was rolling off the nut and not undoing it This is what would happen if you put the tool on the nut and heaved on one end of a long breaker bar. With a high torque nut gun applying an even torque there is no tendency for the tool to roll off the nut, so off it came.

The issue being that it can shear the “key” out of the nut :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 March 2018, 15:07:36 »

One trick with locking wheel nuts is to OVERtighten the other 4 bolts meaning that the other one is slightly less tight.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 March 2018, 22:31:59 »

The issue being that it can shear the “key” out of the nut :-X ::)

Does this not depend on what type of locking bolt is used? Halfwits at a high street tyre bay managed to shear the 3 peg design of lock nut originally fitted to my Omega, but that was due to using a windy gun. I then fitted the later type cake cutter bolts , similar to those fitted to my Merc. Problem (more or less) solved.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 March 2018, 23:15:22 »

Locking wheel nuts are like Phillips screws, there's only so much torque you can apply before the tool cams out/breaks/rounds off/damages the nut. NONE of them are any good unless they are installed in the bin.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.