Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Dewalt cordless drill  (Read 1712 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
New Dewalt cordless drill
« on: 12 April 2019, 04:13:48 »

A chippie friend emigrated to Australia about 12 years a go & i bought off him his power tools at a good price. The outstanding purchase was a high end cordless Dewalt drill, with it's all metal precision chuck, added to it's small profile mega power. but the Ni-Cad batteries have now expired, so I decided it has time to upgrade to a better Dewalt cordless. Now bought off ebay at a good price their 3-speed all metal DCD996 with case, fast charger (which is fan cooled noisy) & 2 5AH batteries for £260.

I will let you know how I get on over the next few weeks where Ive got many masonry drilling jobs on the house to do.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: New Dewalt cordless drill
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2019, 07:29:15 »

I have the same drill, its excellent (all be it a bit powerful sometimes!)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2019, 23:17:02 »

I hope it serves you well  :y

Father bought a DeWalt about 3yrs ago (last of the NiCad stuff basically) and it lasted about 12m before developing some significant play in the front bearing (just behind the twist chuck).

In contrast my pair of Ryobi drills - mocked by every tradesman and keyboard warrior on the internet lasted 4yrs and renovated an entire house with me. I've since gifted them to a friend who's just bought his first doer upper and afaik they're still in use.

I've recently bought into Makita, mainly due to their rather good collated screw gun - I have a shed load of plasterboarding to do in the new place! I've also bought a big power impact wrench for doing the timing belt on the terracan, and anything else in the future obviously.  8)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2019, 01:22:04 »

Which impact wrench did you get Jimmy?  ???

Machine Mart are doing VAT free on Sunday and I might treat myself!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2019, 11:15:36 »

I have the older (NiCd) XRP drill, that my little bro retrieved from a skip and gave to me (along with a couple of other DeWalt tools from same skip) when he heard I'd lost all my tools in the garage incident.  So its previous life was on a site, hence it looks (visually) like its had a hard life.

But its been great.  I've had to buy extra batteries, as the skip ones became tired. About £20 from Amazon, and they do appear to be genuine :o.

I've supplemented it with impact screwdrivers, impact wrenches, torches and so on.  Also picked up a (lower quality, screwfix type DeWalt) drill set for £25 from the local pawn shop, because it had 2 batteries and another charger.  The drill itself is not a patch on the XRP, but good enough for light work if I need a second drill.

If it all blew up tomorrow, I would look to replace with modern DeWalt moderns.
Grumpy old man

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2019, 17:14:29 »

tbh I've always struggled with dewalt - fee like black and decker to me...  on the cordless front, I cannot beat my titan cordless (yes titan) not managed to break it.  I have a hitachi cordless hammer and the first one expired but the second for £35 quid - bare works fine.  they survived the first house renovation and most of  bungalow build from scratch. 

parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2019, 18:18:41 »

tbh I've always struggled with dewalt - fee like black and decker to me...  on the cordless front, I cannot beat my titan cordless (yes titan) not managed to break it.  I have a hitachi cordless hammer and the first one expired but the second for £35 quid - bare works fine.  they survived the first house renovation and most of  bungalow build from scratch.
The thing with DeWalt is not to buy the shite aimed at Screwfix customers, where they can have drill and 2 batts for £150.  TBH, on those, the B&D label would fit better, as aimed at light consumer use.

The higher end stuff, though, is excellent, aimed well and truly at the hard life a tradesman would put it to.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 April 2019, 18:38:55 »

This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AVXACYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_h62SCbJ31B5C4

1000nm tightening torque should be plenty for my needs  8). Also, because we had some in for testing at work, I managed to get it for £120, unused, still in a (non-retail) box.

People who've tested & reviewed them online all seem to agree that the 1000nm claim is about right. In any event, it's pretty feisty!

I don't see the point in a lower powered one tbh, if it's not very tight, my 18" breaker bar and over 20st to bring to bear is sufficient.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 April 2019, 23:25:01 »

Thanks Jimmy.  :y

I'd have that one as well.... if I could get it for £120!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 15 April 2019, 07:45:39 »

This one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AVXACYO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_h62SCbJ31B5C4

Had that one in my wish list on Amazon for ages  :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 April 2019, 12:43:31 »

I have this, its quite effective!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-DCF899HN-XJ-Cordless-Brushless-Torque/dp/B00VXN7SH6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=30AO3SLY6G8RC&keywords=dewalt+impact+driver+18v&qid=1555328491&s=diy&sprefix=dewalt+impact%2Cdiy%2C166&sr=1-6

And a TB said, the cheap DeWalt sets you see in Screwfix and the like are exactly that, the top end kit is very difficult to beat.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2019, 14:02:13 »

I got a Dewalt for light general use, eats Batteries, Chuck Spindle on them bends easerly, for heavier work and hammer action Ive still got my trusty Blue Bosch, 24V which Ive had for some 20+ years now, original Battery, its taken some abuse but still works flawlessly, never though I would say that about Bosch, Ive had my share of Metabo, Hilti, Makita, etc, none of them lasted the course.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2019, 17:24:47 »

I have this, its quite effective!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dewalt-DCF899HN-XJ-Cordless-Brushless-Torque/dp/B00VXN7SH6/ref=sr_1_6?crid=30AO3SLY6G8RC&keywords=dewalt+impact+driver+18v&qid=1555328491&s=diy&sprefix=dewalt+impact%2Cdiy%2C166&sr=1-6

And a TB said, the cheap DeWalt sets you see in Screwfix and the like are exactly that, the top end kit is very difficult to beat.
(mine are the older type that uses different batts)

but I went for a small bodied one, as the larger bodied ones can get in the way.  Its "only" 190Nm, but that's accurate (unlike my Clarke/Sealey 450Nm one that is hopeless at anything).  The smaller body means it fits in awkward spaces.

That said, I don't use it just for tight bolts, it gets used for anything that would otherwise take more than 5s to undo, including wheelbolts (and doing them back up, rear shock mounts and so on.

A variable trigger is also essential IMHO. Both my Clarke cum Sealey junk and Gixer's Hitachi are on/off, and one day I will strip a thread when putting bolts back in :D
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.