Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How heavy  (Read 5378 times)

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
How heavy
« on: 04 June 2009, 13:31:52 »

is the 3.0 Vauxhall V6 engine, anyone know?
Retired

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
Re: How heavy
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2009, 13:41:26 »

I believe its very heavy indeed :y, need more than one person to lift it ::)...think you'd need one of those engine lift thingy's...

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2009, 13:50:05 »

I believe its very heavy indeed :y, need more than one person to lift it ::)...think you'd need one of those engine lift thingy's...
I know its bloody heavy, it took me, Loo Knee and another bloke who bought an engine off us to sort of lift it into the back of his Punto, the Punto aris was onr the floor ;D

I considering the V6 for an engine transplant in my MX5 but I love the sound of the V8 ::)
Retired

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2009, 13:53:11 »

I know its bloody heavy, it took me, Loo Knee and another bloke who bought an engine off us to sort of lift it into the back of his Punto, the Punto aris was onr the floor ;D

I considering the V6 for an engine transplant in my MX5 but I love the sound of the V8 ::)

;D ;D..could'nt resist I'm afraid ;D...

Why you want to put a V6 or 8 in the hair dryer it's fast enough as it is already  ::) ::).........as long as you can find a short enough airstrip of course ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2009, 13:58:10 »

Why you want to put a V6 or 8 in the hair dryer it's fast enough as it is already  ::) ::).........as long as you can find a short enough airstrip of course ;D
There's no such thing :P
Retired

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2009, 14:00:18 »

What short airstrip ::).....anyway the car too slow now, that why you want a bigger engine, not drying your hair quick enough like it used too ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 June 2009, 14:10:30 »

I've heard around 160 Kg from somewhere IIRC. :-/

That seems plausible.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 June 2009, 14:16:52 »

.. which is actually about the same weight as a Rover V8. But the V6 is the better engine for an MX IMHO. You could always keep the heritage correct and fit a Mazda K series V6.. or even a rotary. I've always (sort of) fancied an RX-5. 8-)

One of my mates who was touring with us in Ireland had a Westfield running a X30XE. Very nice it was, too. 8-) Pictures to follow...

I also saw my first Westfield TDi. Not so impressed with that but apparently 0-60 in sub- 6 seconds and 60 MPG.  :o .. with the added bonus that you don't need a gearbox. It pulled like a train from standstill to 105 MPH in 4th gear and I don't mind saying mine was having a "medium workout" keeping up through the gears. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2009, 15:43:08 »

.. which is actually about the same weight as a Rover V8. But the V6 is the better engine for an MX IMHO. You could always keep the heritage correct and fit a Mazda K series V6.. or even a rotary. I've always (sort of) fancied an RX-5. 8-)

One of my mates who was touring with us in Ireland had a Westfield running a X30XE. Very nice it was, too. 8-) Pictures to follow...

I also saw my first Westfield TDi. Not so impressed with that but apparently 0-60 in sub- 6 seconds and 60 MPG.  :o .. with the added bonus that you don't need a gearbox. It pulled like a train from standstill to 105 MPH in 4th gear and I don't mind saying mine was having a "medium workout" keeping up through the gears. ;D

Kevin
This company is just down the raod from me and have done some interesting conversions like a Vauxhall V6 into and RX7 and a Rover V8 into an MX5 :)
http://www.wgtautodevelopments.co.uk/
Retired

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 June 2009, 15:44:16 »

What short airstrip ::).....anyway the car too slow now, that why you want a bigger engine, not drying your hair quick enough like it used too ;D
At least i've got some to dry ;D
Retired

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 June 2009, 15:58:57 »

There's no need to get jealous about it now ;D ;D

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 June 2009, 17:12:05 »

Jealous about what, that my 1.8 hairdresser's car is faster than your tuned V6 or i've got a full head of hair :-* ;D ;D
Retired

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 June 2009, 17:26:13 »

This company is just down the raod from me and have done some interesting conversions like a Vauxhall V6 into and RX7 and a Rover V8 into an MX5 :)

There's lots of heartache down the rotary path but on the occasions when they're running without issues, they're.  8-)

Having seen how compact the X30XE looked in the Westfield I would go for it. Only issue I could imagine in a MX-5 would be getting the exhaust downpipes out underneath. IIRC, the engine bay narrows quite a bit towards the rear thanks to the deep inner wheel arches so maybe that's a good excuse for some custom tubular exhaust manifolds?  8-)

The chap with the Westfield used a Borg Warner T5 gearbox with an adaptor plate originally designed for a C20XE instead of the Omega box due to better choice of gear ratios. (Omega's 1st gear would be way too short for a light car IMHO). That gearbox is a bit chunky though!

IIRC, the MX has a silly final drive ratio as well, so you might need to find a longer ratio diff. :-/

Nice project though.

Kevin

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 June 2009, 17:35:57 »

There's lots of heartache down the rotary path but on the occasions when they're running without issues, they're.  8-)

Having seen how compact the X30XE looked in the Westfield I would go for it. Only issue I could imagine in a MX-5 would be getting the exhaust downpipes out underneath. IIRC, the engine bay narrows quite a bit towards the rear thanks to the deep inner wheel arches so maybe that's a good excuse for some custom tubular exhaust manifolds?  8-)

The chap with the Westfield used a Borg Warner T5 gearbox with an adaptor plate originally designed for a C20XE instead of the Omega box due to better choice of gear ratios. (Omega's 1st gear would be way too short for a light car IMHO). That gearbox is a bit chunky though!

IIRC, the MX has a silly final drive ratio as well, so you might need to find a longer ratio diff. :-/

Nice project though.

Kevin
I've been reading quit a bit about different engine transplants in the MX5 and a common diff to use is a BMW 323 diff.
Retired

MikeDundee

• Omega Lord
  • Costa Del Peckham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2009, 18:58:55 »

Jealous about what, that my 1.8 hairdresser's car is faster than your tuned V6 or i've got a full head of hair :-* ;D ;D
No and Yes :P........anyway stop changing the topic, are you gonna do a transplant ::)...................
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.