Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Leather seat refurb ?  (Read 2897 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Leather seat refurb ?
« on: 21 June 2018, 10:06:18 »

Hi all    . .  The black leather seats in the CDX although fairly good condition, now have a "shine" to them , where as originally they were a matt finish I believe, as I can see from unworn areas .  The drivers seat is by far the worst for this "shine"  As car is on 195K  they had a bit of use  ::) ::)

So just wondering if  any Oofers have been able to remedy this  & is there is a product/cleaner/ treatment they have used  that will return the seats to there original matt finish & remove the glaze?

TIA for any advice  forwarded . . .rather than me  buying & trialing lots of different products  :y
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 10:12:17 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Leather seat refurb ?
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2018, 10:16:17 »

That annoying git from Wheeler Dealers showcased a couple of products to clean leather firstly, then to feed and polish it. The results were very good, but unfortunately he didn't name the products and the containers were unmarked!
However, there was a good tip (yes, from Brewer - he actually did some work!) which involved covering the seats in black bin bags and putting them out in the hot sun for a few hours to sweat the dirt out before rubbing the cleaning goo off.

Ron.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 10:18:47 by Bigron »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2018, 15:20:44 »

That annoying git from Wheeler Dealers showcased a couple of products to clean leather firstly, then to feed and polish it. The results were very good, but unfortunately he didn't name the products and the containers were unmarked!
However, there was a good tip (yes, from Brewer - he actually did some work!) which involved covering the seats in black bin bags and putting them out in the hot sun for a few hours to sweat the dirt out before rubbing the cleaning goo off.

Ron.

:o  Polishing  is the exact opposite of what I am looking for Ron .   But on the subject of Mr. Brewer . . . I think I watched that episode  . .so must have it recorded in the V6 box somewhere . . .will try &  find it   :y
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2018, 15:24:02 »

Gliptone  has come up on Google  . .a 2 product process it seems  . .gonna look a bit deeper in to this  :-\

Have also come up with "rubbing alcohol"   & even diluted washing up liquid  :o
« Last Edit: 21 June 2018, 15:36:13 by Alnico Blue »

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 June 2018, 17:33:11 »

Gliptone is good, and smells lovely

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 June 2018, 17:48:35 »

I used a mild solution of star drops and a used(to take the main roughness off) dish scrubber.this works fine on leather and vynil .there are proper solutions available to do this and everyone will have their favourite .proper leather rejuvenation kits and hide food etc.this took the shine off mine and restored them to an even Matt finish .

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 June 2018, 17:50:30 »

Or upgrade them to Elite cloth, the best of all Omega seats ;)
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 June 2018, 18:07:57 »

Ron.

:o  Polishing  is the exact opposite of what I am looking for Ron .   But on the subject of Mr. Brewer . . . I think I watched that episode  . .so must have it recorded in the V6 box somewhere . . .will try &  find it   :y

Sorry Mr. Blue, I used the wrong word. He did not polish it, but I'm not sure what he called what he did; the result looked good despite the usual huge amount of self-congratulation he gave himself!  ::)

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 June 2018, 19:16:51 »

Omega seats were only matt post 2002 :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 June 2018, 19:50:31 »

Gliptone do a full leather treatment set and even offer a colour matching to restore areas that have faded or worn quite badly.

I have used it on several leather interiors and also on our leather lounge corner settee...it is brilliant and smells just like seats were when new,

It gets my vote  :y

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2018, 20:06:06 »

Omega seats were only matt post 2002 :y

:-\   Ok will take that on board  . . but this is a 2001 car , the drivers seat base  is really shiny compared to all the others & parts of all the seats, including this drivers seat , where there has never been any wear are matt in comparison .

Put it this way  . .

What I am after is all the seats looking the same whether its "matt"  "flat"  or maybe "satin" but def not "gloss", which is what the drivers seat base is now  :)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 June 2018, 12:02:42 »

Ok  update on cleaning. . . managed to to get some "medical alcohol wipes"  ( I have close contact with a young (ish) lady who works as a nurse  ::) ::)

Tried an area about 6" square on the shiny drivers seat base , seemed like oil/grease /dirt was being lifted off straight away. Let it evaporate & the seat was almost  instantly less shiny.
So repeated on that patch several times until no more dirt etc was showing lifting  onto the wipe. Used 3 wipes in all on that area.  Patch is now back to & very close to the "matt" finish  unworn areas . 
Will now do all the drivers seat  & see how it comes up  . . .but looks like it will be a good job .

So won't invest in the Gliptone just yet,  :y :y

mark34bn

• plymouth
    • Omega 2.6 estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 June 2018, 12:23:40 »

I used to retail Gliptone and I've recoloured lots of leather seats / panels. If you're just cleaning then any interior cleaner or apc / tfr will do the job. Best method is to get a weak solution of warm water and cleaner, spray on then agitate for a minute or so with a nail / shoe brush. Don't let it dry. Then remove with a hot damp cloth. This should get rid of all the dirt and leave the leather much less shiny. This also works well on steering wheels.
 I wouldn't use alcohol wipes too much as they're quite strong and can take off the top coat of colour.
Current cars... Focus Tdci (hers) Omega 2.6 cdx estate (comfort), Megane R26 (speed)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 June 2018, 12:32:26 »

I used to retail Gliptone and I've recoloured lots of leather seats / panels. If you're just cleaning then any interior cleaner or apc / tfr will do the job. Best method is to get a weak solution of warm water and cleaner, spray on then agitate for a minute or so with a nail / shoe brush. Don't let it dry. Then remove with a hot damp cloth. This should get rid of all the dirt and leave the leather much less shiny. This also works well on steering wheels.
 I wouldn't use alcohol wipes too much as they're quite strong and can take off the top coat of colour.

Noted  . .. Thanks for that  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2018, 12:49:15 »

( I have close contact with a young (ish) lady who works as a nurse  ::) ::)

Aye aye...  ;) :D

[edit] In other unrelated news, I read your username as "Al Pacino Blue" ..
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 19 queries.