Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2l timing marks  (Read 1198 times)

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
2l timing marks
« on: 16 September 2006, 08:44:32 »

ive tried to make sense of the pictures in the haynes book of lies but i cant work out how to see if all my timing marks line up, do i have to take off the belt? i thought it might have slipped a tooth and wanted to check it, also when turning the engine with a ratchet it seems to turn over free most of the way then hit a stiff spot is this normal, i had removed the plugs first.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: 2l timing marks
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2006, 22:38:22 »

The engine will need more effort to turn it when all 4 pots are around mid bore, you are trying to move all 4 pistons and their rings at max speed at this point. When nearing tdc or bdc the pistons only move slightly for a much larger rotation of the crank so it feels easier to turn.

Can you explain the problem a bit more....there are two notches in the camcover back plate which you line up by eye with the marks on the pulleys. The crank pulley notch is supposed to line up with a pin protruding from the block but i think this got deleted at some point so remove the crank pulley (6 bolts) and look for a groove in the pulley face... this should line up with a mark on the oil pump casting...you need a mirror to see this properly.

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2006, 09:57:51 »

hi m8 i think my problem was that i had the rocker cover off at the time, but the two arrows on the cams didnt both point straight up together the exhaust one seems to be a few teeth ahead of the other one. thanks for the reply
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2006, 14:16:38 »

If the camcover is off then you can align with a rib on top of the front bearing caps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.