Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gearbox issue HELP | i10 sticks in 3rd gear . .  (Read 4023 times)

STEMO

Re: Gearbox issue HELP | i10 sticks in 3rd gear . .
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2020, 11:10:14 »

I would never buy a new car, and pay 20% VAT. There are usually pre reg deals to be had.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2020, 12:12:22 »

I would never buy a new car, and pay 20% VAT. There are usually pre reg deals to be had.

true, but it's still a car that's only got delivery miles and one owner that never used it.

As I get many years use from cheap, well-used and old cars(the Omega was 13 years, 130k miles and at £1500 the most money I've ever spent on a car) I would expect a new, zero mile car to last as long as my licence - I will be 50 this summer. I've a friend my parent's age who is still driving the '86 Orion he bought new - it looks a heap, but keeps going at less than a couple of monthly payments per year. Mike says he'll stop driving when the car does, or weigh it in if he gives up first.

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2020, 12:32:32 »

true, but it's still a car that's only got delivery miles and one owner that never used it.

As I get many years use from cheap, well-used and old cars(the Omega was 13 years, 130k miles and at £1500 the most money I've ever spent on a car) I would expect a new, zero mile car to last as long as my licence - I will be 50 this summer. I've a friend my parent's age who is still driving the '86 Orion he bought new - it looks a heap, but keeps going at less than a couple of monthly payments per year. Mike says he'll stop driving when the car does, or weigh it in if he gives up first.
I think that's probably the story with my diesel astra. It's got a couple of battle scars and is muddy from my exploits with pooch. Only 60,000 miles yet, but I intend to get the cambelt done soon and I can't see why it shouldn't do at least another 60,000. Then I'll get the cambelt done again, and so on.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2020, 15:34:09 »

I want to move it on  . . .but SWMBO loves it now

Next time there is a failure, price the part so it makes the car beyond economic repair.

....but anyone who has priced Mitsubishi or Honda parts will laugh at you if describe them as expensive.

Tell me about it. Honda Civic, not an uncommon car, a shim, as in a single shim to sit on the caliper carrier, the metal shaped one that the pads sit on. Dealer only part, £27+vat each, the front needed 4  :o I ordered 8 from Honda in Japan, £47 delivered.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 January 2020, 17:46:54 »

There is a lot more than the gearbox falls off a cliff after the 7 year warranty sadly.
Gearbox issues aside, the 4 that are close to me have proven stupidly reliable, with little more than the most basic annual service.

Certainly not a car for me, but as a local around town car, cant really fault it.  Cheap to run, easy to service, little to dislike if you never need to use back seats, reliable.  Dull and dreary, yes.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 January 2020, 21:24:21 »

I want to move it on  . . .but SWMBO loves it now

Next time there is a failure, price the part so it makes the car beyond economic repair.

....but anyone who has priced Mitsubishi or Honda parts will laugh at you if describe them as expensive.

Tell me about it. Honda Civic, not an uncommon car, a shim, as in a single shim to sit on the caliper carrier, the metal shaped one that the pads sit on. Dealer only part, £27+vat each, the front needed 4  :o I ordered 8 from Honda in Japan, £47 delivered.

Another friend runs an NSX as his daily, and bought the first few parts he needed from the local dealer 8 miles away. They are special order, and usually took 2 or 3 days to arrive. Now, he orders them from the US, which even with shipping and custom charges rarely costs more than half of what G&M charge and are delivered to his door in a similar amount of time. Normal service items like oil, plugs, filters and belts are, of course, bought from the trade factor opposite where he works, and if the car is immobilised he just uses his special car instead.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 08 January 2020, 21:45:05 »

His special car?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 January 2020, 21:54:26 »

His special car?

1937 Ford Model Y hotrod.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 09 January 2020, 08:28:06 »

Another friend runs an NSX as his daily,

A truly rare car - I base that only on the fact that I've seen maybe 2 on the public road moving under their own power in 20+ years of driving.. fair play for running one as a daily! It'll probably be in much better nick than all the ones that are sat, slowly rotting, in 'climate controlled storage' as part of an investment scheme.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 January 2020, 20:43:04 »

Another friend runs an NSX as his daily,

A truly rare car - I base that only on the fact that I've seen maybe 2 on the public road moving under their own power in 20+ years of driving.. fair play for running one as a daily! It'll probably be in much better nick than all the ones that are sat, slowly rotting, in 'climate controlled storage' as part of an investment scheme.

A mate of mine had one, then replaced it and had a string of pretty tasty cars since. He still wishes he'd kept it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.