Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: oh drat  (Read 13333 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
oh drat
« on: 22 December 2014, 19:43:54 »

after 298k 29years of total abuse the last 5 with us,,including towing mobile homes, bumpstarting articulated trucks and hundreds of other tasks it should never have done
 our 1986 mitsubishi 2.5td,engine finally cried enough,after picking up the mother inlaw from the airport and her calling it a heap, the engine expired in a big way at about 50mph tween colmenar and casabemeja,lol
I blame it on the ma in law calling mistsy a nasty name,!!
fact that i have had a short motor in reserve for over six months now has got nothing to do with it
so now oh joy over xmas i have to change the engine and i ant sure what damage it did to the gearbox when it went, as the box literally jumped up in the air inside the car when the motor blew,
followed by a horrendous grinding crunching noise,think the clutch exploded to be honest but will know when i strip the motor out,
merry christmas hurumph!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: oh drat
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2014, 19:46:42 »

Well at least you'll be outside out of the MIL's way when the after affects of the sprouts kick in!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2014, 19:50:50 »

Well at least you'll be outside out of the MIL's way when the after affects of the sprouts kick in!

lol as you say! at least it means as the car is a mile away up a mountain, I wont have to talk to her much, can spend all day working on the car,Hmm she goes back jan 9th, how long can i stretch an engine swap and a few mods out for??

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2014, 19:55:36 »

Until the 9th of Jan?  :y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2014, 20:00:51 »

gonna try!! especially as the new motor is slightly different, i have to make the connections for the ida hose and the wastegate hose an new motor had them in the intercooler pipe which i dont have, mine were in the original now breaked completely turbo housing!

The Sheriff

« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2014, 21:36:52 »

Wish I could do stuff like that  :(

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2014, 07:46:52 »

no at least 10th jan that way you dont have to take her ;D

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2014, 08:58:32 »

no at least 10th jan that way you dont have to take her ;D

What! it has to be done so i can take her to the arport otherwise she may stay longer :o

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2014, 09:01:17 »

Wish I could do stuff like that  :(

its only nuts and bolts and a little common sense dude? pretty sure you c0uld if you were motivated enough, lot of people just want to let someone else do it then moan at the size of the bill,
old saying practice makes perfect, give it a go! :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2014, 13:59:09 »

It's funny how mechanics have that reputation of being greasy, smelly thick-os - yes only the first two are true  ;D

No, seriously, plenty of people who in the same breath would suggest that a mechanic isn't very bright, but then confess they can't actually do the job themselves, well, proves there is a lot to it, but all can be learned. I am clueless about much, and openly say what I'm rubbish at  ;D - can't weld, solder terribly, never replaced or rebuilt an engine, but love playing about. Done gearboxes, every suspension component, gaskets, servicing on every car that's been up the drive, spraying. But there always has to be a first time for anything, so definitely would say to anyone have a go. They're fairly thick, hefty chunks of metal for the most part, fairly open to abuse, so long as you follow the instructions, and there are always people on here ready to help   :)

Though as I say - welding, soldering, engine rebuilds- Don't ask me!!!  :y :y :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2014, 12:06:33 »

Good luck with it. :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 25 December 2014, 17:28:06 »

You are not alone.. 2 bar pressure was awesome ;D

Merry Christmas Omegatoy :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 December 2014, 19:39:12 »

You are not alone.. 2 bar pressure was awesome ;D

Merry Christmas Omegatoy :y

And a very merry Christmas to you and your family Cem :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 December 2014, 17:48:17 »

Is it running yet?

I will have your pint of beer tonight for you at the Downshire Arms. Don't want to affect the work progress.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 December 2014, 21:26:03 »

Is it running yet?

I will have your pint of beer tonight for you at the Downshire Arms. Don't want to affect the work progress.

lol not yet lost 2 days to xmas celebrations,Got the injectors out pretty easily when all was said and done,onlyneeded a breaker bar with a 4 foot pole on it,wiring to pump had been chopped and changed over the years not helped by my wiring to the hidden switch :o and its been a f-----k of a job,29years on the road and when i stripped out most of the ancilliaries i was greeted with what looked  like two solid bars leading to the heat exchanger,,but they were actually the oil cooler pipes, ::)getting the vac pump(back of alternator) connections off with no room to swing a spanner was a tad err challenging?Getting the aftermarket aircon compresor off was erm tight?
starter motor bolts had been replaced with allen bolts and nuts on the end out the other side,impossible to get  to both sides from under the car,without removing the front prop ,
and a multitude of other time consuming bits,having said that only worked on it for 5 hours,and it now just needs 4 bellhousing bolts,downpipes,and engine mounting bolts to remove and its ready to come out, then put the 2 motors side by side and carefully swap all the necessary parts over,do the
cambelt and balance belt timing,somehow get the double crank pulley swapped onto the new single one,so guesssing if i get a full day on it 2moro it may be ready the following day? will keep you posted

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 December 2014, 18:31:19 »

well motor is finally out it fought me all the way,having been in there nearly 30 years,it didnt want to see the light of day! box was rusted onto the dowels,a cleverly hidden earth cable in the greasy morass that resided under the motor,and it popped up free as a bird,

started tranferring parts over to the new motor then noticed the spigot bearing in the new one was damaged, so popped off the flywheel ready to replace it with the original one that was in good nick,
well in donkeys years of playing with engines I have only seen this particular symptom once before on a road engine
 :o
,she had snapped her crank off just in front of the rear main bearing! no wonder the box was jumping up and down,the flywheel was just a lump of floating steel on the end of the first motion shaft,being bashed every revolution by the broken end of the crank!!,

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2014, 00:12:02 »

,she had snapped her crank off just in front of the rear main bearing! no wonder the box was jumping up and down,the flywheel was just a lump of floating steel on the end of the first motion shaft,being bashed every revolution by the broken end of the crank!!,

'kinell! Good job the flywheel didn't make a bid for freedom. :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2014, 15:27:38 »

started tranferring parts over to the new motor then noticed the spigot bearing in the new one was damaged, so popped off the flywheel ready to replace it with the original one that was in good nick,
well in donkeys years of playing with engines I have only seen this particular symptom once before on a road engine

That's a Mitsubishi speciality! It is common on Shoguns and the smaller 4 cylinder engines.
I recovered a nearly new Lancer where the customer had picked up  'a lump of metal', which turned out to be the crank pulleys and the crank snout!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2014, 18:24:15 »

couldnt go backwards cos of the first motion shaft length,still held on by the remains of the rear main bearing, so couldnt make a bid for freedom, just got bashed away till the motor cried enough, whipped head off today and not a mark on it all valves etc still good which surprised me!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2014, 18:27:06 »

That's a Mitsubishi speciality! It is common on Shoguns and the smaller 4 cylinder engines.
I recovered a nearly new Lancer where the customer had picked up  'a lump of metal', which turned out to be the crank pulleys and the crank snout!

Maybe on the newer ones and the smaller 4 pots but not on the early ones, cranks do die with irregular oil changes i agree, but this one had done 3200kilometers since last oil and filter change,Personally i think it was metal fatigue after 29 years of going round in circles! :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2014, 23:55:08 »

couldnt go backwards cos of the first motion shaft length,still held on by the remains of the rear main bearing, so couldnt make a bid for freedom, just got bashed away till the motor cried enough, whipped head off today and not a mark on it all valves etc still good which surprised me!

Yeah,  I suppose they actually have to burst to get any worse. Seen a couple of nasty incidents in kit cars, normally because they've been lightened too enthusiastically. :o

Not fun when you consider where they are in relation to your ankles!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2014, 00:02:24 »

Not fun when you consider where they are in relation to your ankles!

Forget the Ankles.......... About 3' from your happy sack.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 December 2014, 18:55:43 »

lol true enough,ok tried to add apicture but cant get it to load, who can do it for me if i send it to them, alternatively its now on fb but pretty sure a lot of you dont do facebook?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 January 2015, 20:19:27 »

Well is it working yet?

I am sorry to say I had to drink your pint of Ruddles last night. Couldn't wait any longer!

Happy New Year :y :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 January 2015, 21:07:52 »

Well is it working yet?

I am sorry to say I had to drink your pint of Ruddles last night. Couldn't wait any longer!

Happy New Year :y :y

SWINE!! rebuilt bottom end is in and bolted to gearbox etc,clutch control is all bolted up,just got to put cylinderhead, injectors,turbo,inlet and exhaust manifold,injection pump and pipes,turbo oil line,
balance belt,cam belt,covers for the aforementioned ,crank pulley,radiator and hoses,bonnet back on then see if it runs, :o

it was  a broken crankshaft,no damage i can see to gearbox,got pics of the crank that came out, in two pieces but cant get them to post on here, cant access me photobucket account either lol so they are on fb

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 January 2015, 21:31:43 »

Hmm does this link work?

http://imgur.com/TKwgt2x

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 January 2015, 21:33:50 »

Hmm does this link work?

Yes... but a tad big ..  :)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 January 2015, 21:58:10 »

hey thanks Entwood, ok will try to resize it, however it is a bit dramatic being that size! lol

aha think i got it now,its resized to message board?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 January 2015, 22:05:47 »

Hmm, put the two parts in a dish washer then clean up well with something like wire wool and brake cleaner. 

Then mend with something like Araldite Rapid Steel or similar metal glue. Try not to get too much on the join otherwise the crank would need rebalancing.

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 02 January 2015, 22:10:58 »

Hmm, put the two parts in a dish washer then clean up well with something like wire wool and brake cleaner. 

Then mend with something like Araldite Rapid Steel or similar metal glue. Try not to get too much on the join otherwise the crank would need rebalancing.

Typical Spanish back street garage repair, right Varche? ;D  Although you seem to be missing the step involving duct tape and bailing wire..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 January 2015, 22:15:41 »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 January 2015, 22:35:01 »

Typical Spanish back street garage repair, right Varche? ;D  Although you seem to be missing the step involving duct tape and bailing wire..

Cheap to you senor. My 4x4 seems to entirely be held together with duct tape and the Spanish equivalent of Massey Harris band.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 02 January 2015, 23:44:44 »

Hmm does this link work?

Yes... but a tad big ..  :)

I think he's found the broken bit, alright!  :o

The Sheriff

« Reply #33 on: 03 January 2015, 09:54:44 »

Can't say I've ever seen that happen before.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 January 2015, 13:30:20 »

I had a '53 A40 with a 3 bearing crank go like that. Not with those miles though, prolly only about 40k. :o

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 January 2015, 18:29:59 »

three bearing crank are inherently weak through not enough support hence most are minimum 5 bearing now, mgb went from 3 to 5 mainbearings for that very reason to much whip in the crank meant no high compression and stupid quick bottom end wear

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 January 2015, 18:36:05 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,may try them! lol
 however hit a major stumbling block today,new engine ahs been rebuilt in the past,so saw the valves had been shortened,but thought there would be enough on the adjusters to make it,BIG FAIL,
I currently have 13mm vaLve gaps lol,,noW i can get enough adjustment, if i put the locking nuts on the bottom of the adjuster! not to happy with that solution though so can only guess it had caps/shims/ on the top of the valves to take up the slack, but for the life of me i cannot remember what the technical name for them is?
there are shims with a hole in them to about 3mm which sit on top of the valve stems,to take up the slack,course its 3 kings day monday, nowt open tomorrow, and they alwas take the tuesday off to recover from the monday,anyone got access to a,lathe and some hard steel to make them?
or tell me the correct term for them so i can look on ebay! LOL

The Sheriff

« Reply #37 on: 03 January 2015, 18:54:10 »

I'm guessing here but something is telling me they are called collets. Valve collet shims......I'm struggling to remember.... :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 03 January 2015, 18:58:45 »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 January 2015, 19:11:02 »

Summat like theses?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Manley-Wear-Cap-6mm-2360-Set-of-8-p/42264-8.htm ;)
[/quote

thems the kiddies but that the american name need the english!lol

« Last Edit: 03 January 2015, 19:12:58 by Omegatoy »

The Sheriff

« Reply #40 on: 03 January 2015, 19:11:54 »

Summat like theses?

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Manley-Wear-Cap-6mm-2360-Set-of-8-p/42264-8.htm ;)
Don't know if they'd take up the kind of slack omegatoy has. Good find though, Al  :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 03 January 2015, 19:13:37 »

I'm guessing here but something is telling me they are called collets. Valve collet shims......I'm struggling to remember.... :-\

same here dude, collets hold the valve stems in,

The Sheriff

« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2015, 19:19:37 »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 03 January 2015, 19:22:16 »

Top hat shim?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_shim

good call well presented but they are only for ohc engines,where the cam operates directly on the valve head, looks like lash cap it is then!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2015, 19:48:56 »

actually STMO  you were almost right they are called by some people valve stem shims,
although lash cap is the correct term,

and guess what,only 8mm ones availabel are in the damn us and 2 weeks delivery!

unless anyone know the size of 200 and 300 tdi landrover valve stems? if they are 8mm then they will do!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 03 January 2015, 20:01:35 »

ok l,rover 300 tdi uses 7.96 diameter valves,now need to find a set of lash caps for one !! proving diffiicult out here!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04 January 2015, 10:46:14 »

I smell tractor blood on Omegatoy's hands. I always said he was a bloody hooligan ;D

Still, you loose the MIL in a few days :P
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05 January 2015, 20:34:52 »

I smell tractor blood on Omegatoy's hands. I always said he was a bloody hooligan ;D

Still, you loose the MIL in a few days :P

lol tractor blood :yep it is true, however still stuck for the damn lash caps so cant do anything mpre in case i have to remove the cyl head to change the valves,so today finaly sorted the non opening door on the t4,got the non functioning central locking working,then diagnosed the suspension problem on the mercedes e300,(spheres f..cked) ordered the delivery port injection seals for the same car,and im going to sort the other few jobs that have been piling up for a while tomorrow!!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 18 January 2015, 11:42:14 »

Phew,it just gets better and better,
on wondering why i had nothing would lone up with the new engine and the old ancilliares did some research,a dn lo and behold year 85/86 they used the 4d55 engine which is a 2.3td, there after used the 4d56 motor which is 2.5tdi,
you would not believe the parts i have had to make to make it fit, after clocking the turbo, intake manifold to turbo different length, ok make new aluminium spacer then, ida connection is in the turbo on old, in intercooler pipework on new, so make new fitting there,aircon compressor braket ,make new one,even to removing my original cylinder head and getting the other one machined so i could use it,so its mostly back together now,just waiting for the new steel headgasket to arrive tomorrow, and fingers crossed it will be ready to start!

05omegav6

« Reply #50 on: 19 January 2015, 16:03:07 »

The simplest of tasks... fingers crossed :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 January 2015, 21:21:37 »

hah! had to use the 4d55 cambelt cogs and balance belt cogs,and guess what the markings are in a different place to the 4d56 cogs,

so had loads of fun working out tdc then cambelt postion using the ramps on the cam,then the spill angles on the injection pump,finally got it to what i thought was almost correct,tentatively barred it over twice,seemed ok,sooo then attempted to get fuel up through the pump into the injectors etc etc,

anyway after sorting various fuel leaks out and stopping it drawing in air,

It runs!!!!

albeit it,
with the following not fitted or missing :-\
no balance belt, removed so i could see the crank postion easier
no down pipem
not electrics just jury rigged the solenoid as i appear to have a wiring fault somewhere,
no cooling system
turbo pipes not connected still :o
no ancilliares at all,
no belt covers
no rocker cover fitted oops oil everywhere,
tappets not set just guestimated to around 15thou
and a whole lot of other stuff still to be done!

ran it for 15seconds the first time, the started it agin for 10 seconds to check oil pressure as i forgot the 1st time, 4 bar on tickover!
soo few more hours and it may even move under its own power

05omegav6

« Reply #52 on: 22 January 2015, 21:29:14 »

So apart from that, sounds like you're almost done :y has the mil been helpful :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 22 January 2015, 22:08:08 »

on wondering why i had nothing would lone up with the new engine and the old ancilliares did some research,a dn lo and behold year 85/86 they used the 4d55 engine which is a 2.3td, there after used the 4d56 motor which is 2.5tdi,
you would not believe the parts i have had to make to make it fit, after clocking the turbo, intake manifold to turbo different length, ok make new aluminium spacer then, ida connection is in the turbo on old, in intercooler pipework on new, so make new fitting there,aircon compressor braket ,make new one,even to removing my original cylinder head and getting the other one machined so i could use it,so its mostly back together now,just waiting for the new steel headgasket to arrive tomorrow, and fingers crossed it will be ready to start!

Getting the other one machined all impressive stuff, more so if you did it in Spain :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 23 January 2015, 21:08:46 »

Getting the other one machined all impressive stuff, more so if you did it in Spain :y

lol luckily i know  an english guy who works in a spanish machine shop,he does all their rebores and other stuff has 3 or 4 lathes at his house,and is rather clever with engines,  :y

still not finshed bit getting there  ::) now found the exhaust manifold on the new engine is a different length! ye gods, currently making some spacers for that!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 January 2015, 20:46:22 »

well it runs, was a little incontinent to start with but mnor leak on the thermostat housing,
exhaust was to short :( adjustment on the mountings helped with that,different turbo length to blame,
holds all fluids properly gets up to temp and stays there no excess pressure in the system,absolutly brilliant oil pressure compared to the old engine,runs on tickover lovely,
Does not like to rev over 2k, :P not getting enough fuel,so tomorrow will run it direct from a can of diesel and bypass the tank and filter, if it runs good then its either a blockage in the fuel line or a blocked fuel filter, or its drawing air in somewhere, if it dont run properly off the can it could just be the difference in injectors,from 2.3 to 2.5, hope not! :'(

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 January 2015, 21:24:32 »

Crikey. Did I see you on a programme about keeping cars running in Cuba on recycled bits??

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 January 2015, 08:37:53 »

Crikey. Did I see you on a programme about keeping cars running in Cuba on recycled bits??

lol nicknamed by one of my mates as pancho, does that count?

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26 January 2015, 21:14:24 »

FINALLY!!

It now runs sweet as a nut!
could not work out why it wouldnt rev properly,
clean fuel made a little difference but not much
new filter made a little difference but not much,
ok ida adjustment made a little better but not much,
it stil would not pull up the steep hill,
ok smoke control adjustment meant
it went a little better but not much and loads of black smoke
could hear the turbo trying to boost properly buit it would not,

ok sit down and think about this,

cuppa tea,few swear words and nothing came to mind,
go over everything that has goine wrong with this engine swap,anything unanswered?
no
BUT
the turbo was mounted a little higher whcih caused the exhaust to be a fair bit(about 2.5cm)short
could it be that?

Crap, it was only the blasted wastegate arm was to long form the 2,3 engine!!
shorten rod go up hill at horrendous speed and shout from the top of it!! whoratherray!
back down to barn, now put smoke screw back where it should be,put bonnet on take it home, and fix the blowing exhaust in the morning! ::) :y

05omegav6

« Reply #59 on: 26 January 2015, 21:34:05 »

Job jobbed 8)

05omegav6

« Reply #61 on: 27 January 2015, 16:44:03 »

That's the tidiest one of those I have seen for a long time :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 27 January 2015, 17:24:33 »

Omegatitis

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 27 January 2015, 17:33:47 »

Nice looking Truck you have there.......... :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 27 January 2015, 17:46:06 »

Congratulations Graham, nice job. :y :y :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 27 January 2015, 19:41:37 »

and apart from the engine its all as it left the factory all those years ago, as siad it had a hard life with me,towing artics and moving mobile homes about, however it should be good for an other few years now,

glad you like it,only reason Ive kept it is swmbo loves it to bits! lol
mind you she always had shoguns l200,s etc as when i got her an omega td i chipped it and burnt the autobox out lol she wssnt best pleased then!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 27 January 2015, 19:52:13 »

Sorted at last :y.
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 27 January 2015, 20:00:30 »

Sorted at last :y.

yep runs strong and smooth, big roadtest tomorrow got 60 miles to do to change a cambelt and balance belt on a .
Hyundai galloper! which is a 2.5 mitsubishi engine in all but name, wonder if i know how to do it? :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 27 January 2015, 20:05:02 »

Resultados :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 29 January 2015, 21:21:35 »

cheers Varche!

well road test of 60miles to do a camblet was good,except it was down on power going up hill,can only put this down to using the 2.3injectors in the 2.5 lump really as everything else seems to be spot on,
sooo
I just tweked the fuel screw on pump a little richer got some smoke now when going up hill but it flies
up them

and today mrs omegatoy drove it for the first time, :-X

and she pronounced it more powerful but a little noisier, ::)

may have something to do with the engine coming down on the metal airbox when removing it, as the mini digger didnt much like the weight of the cast iron engine!
straightened it all out when it happened but it acts like a drum now and resonates as the air goes in,
so another job to sort!
or maybe just get a later airbox which are plastic i believe lol

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 01 February 2015, 21:05:48 »

ok now done 487 since built and all good :o had to pull some fuel out of the pump settings as she started smoking heavily, :o
best guess is as the pump sat for almost a year with no use it got kind of dirty/dusty maybe a little corrosion in there, and is now getting clean again, :y

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 March 2015, 13:05:40 »

Well got back from uk armed with a set of new injectors and seals,installed them yesterday,found one of the old ones had been leaking slightly past the seal,reset valve clearances,,
Fired ir up and test drove it,
Much quieter,much smoother,but it now hesitates slightly when cold,so guessing will have to have a play with the isda setting,being as i "adjusted" it when trying to get it right on the 2.3 injectors!
And i cant remember what i did to it! Doh!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.