Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Rover Streetwise (25) engine solid - help!  (Read 19306 times)

The Sheriff

Re: Rover Streetwise (25) engine solid - help!
« Reply #15 on: 07 January 2015, 15:32:28 »

If this is the head gasket on a K series I'll be very surprised.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 January 2015, 15:51:58 »

Can you turn it over by pushing it in gear with the plugs out, or is it still siezed?

But yes, a cylinder full of coolant sounds like the head gasket, or that coolant passage that goes into the intake manifold on the K.

Oh, and no dimming of the lights suggests that the starter isn't even trying, so something wrong there too.
Engaged 4th gear, pushed car, it moves easily and RH cylinder gurgles. So engine is not seized, and presumably water in cylinder was what prevented it turning before.
Reading Haynes changing the HG sounds horrific, bit too much for me. You mention a coolant passage into the inlet manifold on the K. I am not aware of that, and do not understand it, but it gives me hope! Meanwhile I am tempted to change the starter, as I have bought a spare.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 January 2015, 15:57:27 »

Can you turn it over by pushing it in gear with the plugs out, or is it still siezed?

But yes, a cylinder full of coolant sounds like the head gasket, or that coolant passage that goes into the intake manifold on the K.

Oh, and no dimming of the lights suggests that the starter isn't even trying, so something wrong there too.
Engaged 4th gear, pushed car, it moves easily and RH cylinder gurgles. So engine is not seized, and presumably water in cylinder was what prevented it turning before.
Reading Haynes changing the HG sounds horrific, bit too much for me. You mention a coolant passage into the inlet manifold on the K. I am not aware of that, and do not understand it, but it gives me hope! Meanwhile I am tempted to change the starter, as I have bought a spare.

Head gasket job is quite easy on a K series lump,its more important to check liner heights when the head is off to determine what time of gasket is needed,lots of folk fit the multi layer steel gasket thinking its a miracle cure but if liner heights are low it won't work and the latest elastomer type is required
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

4x4

« Reply #18 on: 07 January 2015, 15:59:19 »

Head gasket is easy,will need a cam locking kit tho,and change waterpump aswell.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 January 2015, 16:03:46 »

Even i have changed a HG on a k series. so if i can, anyone can lol :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 January 2015, 17:12:52 »

Head gasket job is quite easy on a K series lump,its more important to check liner heights when the head is off to determine what time of gasket is needed,lots of folk fit the multi layer steel gasket thinking its a miracle cure but if liner heights are low it won't work and the latest elastomer type is required

Yes, all the more so given that it's had a (relatively) recent HG change.

Memories are vague, but I believe there's a water jacket around the intake manifold that pre-heats it, and there's a connection through the intake manifold gasket that connects up with a water gallery in the head. This can leak and give similar symptoms. If that cylinder stopped with the intake valves open, and the water connection was leaking into the intake manifold...
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 January 2015, 18:26:54 »

Yes, all the more so given that it's had a (relatively) recent HG change.

Memories are vague, but I believe there's a water jacket around the intake manifold that pre-heats it, and there's a connection through the intake manifold gasket that connects up with a water gallery in the head. This can leak and give similar symptoms. If that cylinder stopped with the intake valves open, and the water connection was leaking into the intake manifold...
IME when the inlet manifold gasket leaks, its usually nearer No1, not No4. And it leaks externally.

Been a long time since I've had one apart, so I may be talking 'dangle berries' of course
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 January 2015, 18:29:05 »

Were liners a real issue on this engine?

I remember a story our teacher told us about going round in circles with coolant in the oil. Did HG job and still doing it lol ended up with the sump off to view coolant dripping from liner.

RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 January 2015, 18:29:34 »

Ps, that was on a Rover but unsure if K series.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 January 2015, 18:30:52 »

The switching wire on Rover starters often makes a very poor electrical and mechanical connection.Having been standing in wintry weather will not have helped. Replace the large spade connector and clean the terminal with some emery cloth(or similar).

This also affects the smaller Renault engines, especially in clits.

Coolant in the cylinders isn't a good sign, and your rather brutal treatment is unlikely to have helped.

4x4

« Reply #25 on: 07 January 2015, 18:42:24 »

I remember a story our teacher told us about going round in circles with coolant in the oil. Did HG job and still doing it lol ended up with the sump off to view coolant dripping from liner.
Iirc if you turn crank when head is off your meant to use a locking device to stop liners moving up.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 January 2015, 18:45:48 »

Iirc if you turn crank when head is off your meant to use a locking device to stop liners moving up.

Got ya!

Either he negated to use the tool or that was the original problem all along but didn't present itself to the naked eye.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 January 2015, 18:49:09 »

with car standing still ,,if you put clutch down will it select all  gears if it does not then possibly clutch plate stuck to flywheel due to dampness although normaly by towing it and dropping the clutch pedal  normaly  un-jams it...however  if it does select all gears then may be problem with engine....water in bores which will cause hydraulic compression....thus will not turn over,,,take out plugs and inspect the bores for water. :-\ :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 January 2015, 18:49:38 »

Got ya!

Either he negated to use the tool or that was the original problem all along but didn't present itself to the naked eye.
From your comments when you were on the course, I'm not sure I'd trust your tutor with my car ;)
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07 January 2015, 18:59:03 »

Got ya!

From your comments when you were on the course, I'm not sure I'd trust your tutor with my car ;)

Haha! Me neither!  ;D

Not wanting to hijack the thread but if I had to hand on heart sum up the tutors....

One was a classic flat rate tech. One was a bloody good mechanic but a bit mad. And the last...always questioned what he said.  :-X
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.