Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Camshafts  (Read 6694 times)

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
Camshafts
« on: 30 March 2018, 21:52:18 »

3.2 as standard has G and J cams
3.0 runs as standard has G and A  as fad as I know..

Now I know everyone goes for 4xG as a common power mod but sacrafices a little low end torque...

I've noticed that later GSI vectras had the 3.0 can setup G and A..

Is there any advantage to A cams over J

?
« Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 11:10:42 by Fuse 19 »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Cmashafts
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2018, 00:27:36 »

It’s all pointless. The gm v6 is not quick. At all.

It’s a cruiser. With reasonable. overtaking ability. It will never win any races.

The end :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2018, 09:31:55 »

If you want to improve 3.2 performance with minimal costs, replace the engine with a 3.0, including cats, but keep the 3.2 electrics and exhaust manifolds.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2018, 10:29:39 »

It’s a cruiser. With reasonable. overtaking ability. It will never win any races.

Agreed. It’s an effortless cruiser and just makes everything so easy.  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2018, 10:54:22 »

If you want to improve 3.2 performance with minimal costs, replace the engine with a 3.0, including cats, but keep the 3.2 electrics and exhaust manifolds.

Coil packs!  Need to hope it's got holes for coil pack bolts on the 3.0L heads.
Hoof'land storeman.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2018, 11:26:37 »

Most late 3.0's will have

Failing that, pop the 3.2 heads on it

Or, just live with the ample power of a 3.2 as it is, and save yourself the bother :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2018, 11:26:57 »

True. Most from about 98/99 do IIRC.  The early ones certainly didn't  :'(
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2018, 11:35:51 »

You can put the later heads on an earlier engine - just need to check the T vents, as they may need swapping :y

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 April 2018, 09:17:39 »

Love the way on this forum no one ever answer a question...  And go of on tangents...

Never mentioned anything about engine swap or 3.0.. I have a 3.2 at moment not gonna fit a 3.0 with less power and less scope for improvement...

I am however fitting 3.0 heads ported...  Upgrading cams...  Ported intake manifolds... Tubular header.. And a piggyback ecu system... All of which will improve power torque and engine..

Don't see why people struggle so much to tune these v6...  Same as any other engine...  Get more air in. More air out...  Simple..

Guys abroad and America tune these a fair bit.. Wether n/a  or forced induction...

All I wanted to know was are J cams milder than A...  On the 3.2

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 April 2018, 09:21:37 »

Do me a favour if comments are not helpful don't comment... This forum is getting really worse for crap like this...

The omega can be turned into a fast saloon...  It not slow anyways pulling a 7.4 0-60....   And good motorway speeds..

You do not know what I am doing or what I know... I asked one small question what is better J or A cams that's all...   As I do not know what order the cams run from mild to aggressive on std GM profiles

Quote from: JamesV6CDX l
ink=topic=142240.msg1852223#msg1852223 date=1522452456

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 April 2018, 09:25:50 »

The 3.0 is regarded as more tuneable, more power & better torque curve than 3.2. Sadly emissions rules hit 3.2  :(

Hence 3.0 was suggested as a replacement, otherwise more effort fit a V8.

No point tuning 3.2, already at power/cooling limits.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 April 2018, 09:30:52 »

Do me a favour if comments are not helpful don't comment... This forum is getting really worse for crap like this...

The omega can be turned into a fast saloon...  It not slow anyways pulling a 7.4 0-60....   And good motorway speeds..

You do not know what I am doing or what I know... I asked one small question what is better J or A cams that's all...   As I do not know what order the cams run from mild to aggressive on std GM profiles

Quote from: JamesV6CDX l
ink=topic=142240.msg1852223#msg1852223 date=1522452456

This forum has been going since 2006, it’s gathered significant knowlage over the years. I can’t recall anyone replacing cams in 3.2 for more power.

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 April 2018, 10:01:18 »

So because someone hasn't done it..  You don't do it.. That very small minded...

We know 3.0 easier to tune already on single cats higher compression and none flash based ecu... So easier to tune..

Potential... 3.2 greater more cc and same engine...
I've fitted single cats of 3.0 to mine..  Made good difference... Raise compression to 3.0 10.8 or slightly higher... And either standalone or piggyback ecu to get around mapping issues...

Camshafts are graded G A J N F...  G being wildest... I have since now had luck on vectra forum..  Finding out J cams in 3.2 are milder than 3.0 A cams...   Go I'm going to get a set of a cams..  And sent 2xa 2xg of to newman cams to be reprofiled ..

The 3.0 is regarded as more tuneable, more power & better torque curve than 3.2. Sadly emissions rules hit 3.2  :(

Hence 3.0 was suggested as a replacement, otherwise more effort fit a V8.

No point tuning 3.2, already at power/cooling limits.

Emmisions rules... Remove pre cats don't need to pass UK Mot...  I did it made good difference... Now just need compression hike to 3.0 level or higher

Power/ cooling limits..  Oh god seriously... Engines are good for 300bhp forced induction as std correct supercharger kits.... People have done it. Or even N/A with ITBS . Seen a vectra z32se with standalone ecu reworked heads tubular manifolds ported intake.. And 280 degree cams pulling 297bhp

There are guys in Poland pulling good figures 260/270 bhp... Bigger problem with these engine is exhaust manifold is super restrictive...

Vectra lads tune them well some are seeing 200bhp on a 2.5..

Catera forum in America has a good guide cor gaining 30-40bhp by building a 3.2 block 2.5 heads cams and was wrote by a guy of this forum...

So 3.2 at limits...  No where near.. And if worried about cooling do what I did..  Lower running stat... And better coolant...  Easy done never even has a sniff of high tenps
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 10:03:43 by laney101 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 April 2018, 11:27:36 »

To start to develop additional power from the 3.2 starts costing proper money, and you'll still end up with a short block that's suitable up to around the 250-275bhp - yes you may get more, but its fragility will increase...  ...depends if the purpose is a proper fast effortless saloon or Friday night pub boasting.  Hence the lack of tuning options.  The compression ratio of the 3.2 makes it suitable for light blowing.

But as soon as you start to have to have lots of bits fabricated, financially v power, engine swaps make a lot of sense, particularly the yank v8 options, as these will need same fabrications and remapping, yet will end up with a far quicker, gruntier car.

Sounds like you are determined to stick with the 3.2 though, and if you have the money to throw at it and enjoy that, why not.

Good luck, and would be interesting to read a blog on your ongoing progress :y
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Camshafts
« Reply #14 on: 01 April 2018, 12:34:48 »

To start to develop additional power from the 3.2 starts costing proper money, and you'll still end up with a short block that's suitable up to around the 250-275bhp - yes you may get more, but its fragility will increase...  ...depends if the purpose is a proper fast effortless saloon or Friday night pub boasting.  Hence the lack of tuning options.  The compression ratio of the 3.2 makes it suitable for light blowing.

But as soon as you start to have to have lots of bits fabricated, financially v power, engine swaps make a lot of sense, particularly the yank v8 options, as these will need same fabrications and remapping, yet will end up with a far quicker, gruntier car.

Sounds like you are determined to stick with the 3.2 though, and if you have the money to throw at it and enjoy that, why not.

Good luck, and would be interesting to read a blog on your ongoing progress :y

with some real numbers, not the usual pub wishful thinking stack-up(which is what the American 30-40hp seems to be)of an air filter gives 5hp, the exhaust ought to give 10, increasing the fuel pressure makes it smell richer so that's got to be worth something etc, etc. It's a modern small-capacity engine designed to specific requirements, so any real gains are likely to be small, and guaranteed to be expensive. Which is why you're finding it hard to find any conclusive data.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 11:10:55 by Fuse 19 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.