Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Conservatory roof.  (Read 6052 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Conservatory roof.
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2018, 10:40:17 »

Firstly, you cant fit a 'proper' roof as the structure is not able to take the associated loads.

Generally what appears to be done is that Celotex (or equivalent) is fitted to the under side using wooden battens and then plaster boarded over, some also then add a light weight roof covering (shingles or similar, I Have seen concrete tiles used but these would be way to heavy, even with Marley lights).

I do have some concerns with this as the upper side of the insulation will attract condensation and there is no ventilation in this part.

Either way, no matter what you do its going to be a compromise.

(I to hate conservatories, a plastic shed with lots of glass which still has to have an external door between it and the house its to big a compromise)
Presumably you mean on security grounds. I have to say that the doors into and out of ours are as equally as secure as our patio doors on the other end of the house, with all the current standard  triple locking etc.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #31 on: 18 October 2018, 10:51:57 »

https://www.ultraframe-conservatories.co.uk/news/do-i-need-an-external-door-between-my-home-and-my-conservatory-

Basically, if there are no doors then the conservatory forms part of the house and (can) mean that, when built, the whole house has to be remodelled in order to comply with building regs.

STEMO

« Reply #32 on: 18 October 2018, 11:25:00 »

This is the first conservatory we've had , only been in the house for 7 weeks but at the moment we love it got cane type table & chairs & cane sofa & chairs eat meals out there listen to music etc. Guy at work was quoted £6000 to have a "proper" roof put on his declined the offer.

Cheers for that. I might get a quote just for a laugh. We do use it in the winter, particularly with dinner guests, but I'm just so mean I hate turning the heating on. Mind you, I get free electricity from my solar panels, so the underfloor costs very little, and a fan heater warms it very quickly. 8)

Get a radiator fitted that’s on main house feed, that’s what I did. Helps a lot.  :y
In the link Aaron posted, it says the heating system should be independent and separately controlled.  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2018, 11:44:37 »

This is the first conservatory we've had , only been in the house for 7 weeks but at the moment we love it got cane type table & chairs & cane sofa & chairs eat meals out there listen to music etc. Guy at work was quoted £6000 to have a "proper" roof put on his declined the offer.

Cheers for that. I might get a quote just for a laugh. We do use it in the winter, particularly with dinner guests, but I'm just so mean I hate turning the heating on. Mind you, I get free electricity from my solar panels, so the underfloor costs very little, and a fan heater warms it very quickly. 8)

Get a radiator fitted that’s on main house feed, that’s what I did. Helps a lot.  :y

See #7. Two built in from main CH.

Sounds like it's all there, if you want an insulated roof it really does sound like making it a brick extension is best. You could re-use the double glazing windows in some parts, brick elsewhere so it supports a standard, insulated and tiled roof. I did strongly look at what Fuse19 mentioned, baton structure with insulation pushed in, then boarded and plastered. It's a hack, it's not right and only way to do it internally.

Other way is what I've seen top section is replaced or added to, but I doubt the conservatory itself could take the weight. Then there is the cost, given size of yours, it would be £10k easily to do that.

My conservatory does not have decent foundations, hence I'm starting from scratch.

How far does the conservatory go out? You could get it done under permitted development, as current footprint of existing extension.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 October 2018, 11:58:53 »

I think like everything else in life there are conservatories and there are conservatories.  ;)

A couple of friends have had them done by a local firm round here who are definitely not the cheapest by any means, but the end product is very good!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2018, 12:19:09 »

In the link Aaron posted, it says the heating system should be independent and separately controlled.  :-\
Correct

A conservatory is not covered under building control as its classed as an external 'temporary' space isolated from the house.

Hence any heating system must be independent from the main house setup (you may get away with thermostatic valves), an external door must be fitted (which meats required insulation and security requirements etc.) and that's just the tip of the iceburg

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2018, 14:21:45 »

removable flow and return links on heating ,under floor or rad would sneak past that reg .
conservatory is also a "special location" if intending to have that newfangled electricity  stuff to provide light ,so if retro-fitting ,requires certification under building control regs.
If the lighting or other power circuit is plugged into the house via 3 pin plug (no direct connection) it becomes effectively a portable appliance  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2018, 15:28:13 »

Yes, that is the main issue with mine as the -although very large - rads are at the end of a system which had already been extended, and which is why I put in the very efficient underfloor heating as well. It is quite easyfor me to keep it warm in winter, I just object to losing so much heat through the roof. However, I expect we will put up with it, as it is on the East end of the house, it only needs a little sun AM/early PM to be very comfortable. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2018, 16:51:54 »

It is... It's called the Solar/Door Temperature Regulation System...

Utterly useless, but completely independent of any actual control :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 October 2018, 17:25:37 »

Bless...

The whippersnapper thinks that builders tidy up... :D

They certainly won't if the mess is a smashed conservatory ???

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 October 2018, 17:54:57 »

Oh yes they will.

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 18 October 2018, 18:01:24 »

Builders will do whatever you pay them to do. Site clearance is not an uncommon job.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 October 2018, 18:15:49 »

Oh yes they will.

You're right.
My post should have included this:

....that some oppswit smashed unnecessarily

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 18 October 2018, 18:20:17 »

Oh yes they will.
Sucks through teeth, shakes head ,side to side , drag of fine hand rolled  fag ,
"It'll cost ya "  :D ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.