Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Road rage incident  (Read 6915 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Road rage incident
« Reply #45 on: 01 December 2016, 18:47:19 »

The Police have good and bad, like any organisation.

However, I don't think all these reality police car chase programmes help, as invariable the police individuals come across as arrogant tosspots, playing to the camera, and the voiceover narration adds to this.

I've been pulled far more times than I care to remember, some deserved, some not, but apart from the odd sarcastic attempt at humour, which often backfired (esp if it was an undeserved tug), I have mostly been treated with dignity and respect, and generally have no issues whatsoever with frontline officers...  ...quite the opposite, I wouldn't fancy their job.

But during the last armed robbery at bro's shop, a little old lady, the wrong side of 60, had to stand up to armed robbers, because the police refused to attend until the danger had passed - literally "call back when they have left".  And my mum's last burglary, caught on CCTV, the police admitted they knew who it was, but not further investigation. Then the fact that the (seemingly) entire Towcester police station use liveried company cars to drive 4 miles down to the Super Sausage on a Friday morning really doesn't help with public perception - nobody begrudges then a break, but to do some so publically, and misusing company property that we all pay for, doesn't help with images.  I've even seen them use B&Ts to get there.

Jasonm - sorry to see you leave  :'(
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 December 2016, 19:09:29 »

I find it extremely difficult to keep within the speed limits.

For example .......I can be following an old lady doing 35 MPH in a 40 MPH limit. I need to get past.

A one inch stab of throttle can mean I'm doing 70+ by the time I have finished the overtake.

If I encounter the same situation with two of more elderly drivers  then the final speed will be significantly higher. If I crawl past at 36 MPH I'm likely to be hit by oncoming traffic. :-\

I suppose I could just sit there forever and die of extreme old age. :-\

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 01 December 2016, 19:25:13 »

Doctor Opti, you have underlined my points nicely: your rapid overtake is the safest for everyone concerned, yet the official view is that it's unsafe and should be punished.
The most dangerous overtaking action is a slow one, exposing all parties to danger for too long a time.
Example? One oversized lorry overtaking another on a dual carriageway with a 1 or 2 mph speed differential and taking a mile or two to complete the action and about 10 minutes too - even a BMW driver would be safer!

Ron.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 December 2016, 19:28:14 »

I find it extremely difficult to keep within the speed limits.

For example .......I can be following an old lady doing 35 MPH in a 40 MPH limit. I need to get past.

A one inch stab of throttle can mean I'm doing 70+ by the time I have finished the overtake.

If I encounter the same situation with two of more elderly drivers  then the final speed will be significantly higher. If I crawl past at 36 MPH I'm likely to be hit by oncoming traffic. :-\

I suppose I could just sit there forever and die of extreme old age. :-\

I've always felt that using the full performance of your vehicle to get past and out of danger is more important than dogged observance of the speed limit..  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #49 on: 01 December 2016, 19:30:38 »

When I decide to overtake on the road I mentioned earlier, even I'm doing 65-70 in no time, and that's in a puny astra. I would imagine 70 would come up in a nanosecond in Opti's car.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #50 on: 01 December 2016, 19:58:39 »

Doctor Opti, you have underlined my points nicely: your rapid overtake is the safest for everyone concerned, yet the official view is that it's unsafe and should be punished.
The most dangerous overtaking action is a slow one, exposing all parties to danger for too long a time.
Example? One oversized lorry overtaking another on a dual carriageway with a 1 or 2 mph speed differential and taking a mile or two to complete the action and about 10 minutes too - even a BMW driver would be safer!

Ron.

This is quite true I used to always overtake lorries on the A16 when safe to do so the Merc is plenty quick enough to do so easily, but now the average speed cameras are operative the traffic flows around 50-55 mph safer yes but oh so boring. Also very sad to see Jason M go.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2016, 20:01:34 by Tilbo »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 01 December 2016, 20:13:43 »

Jason, please read this: with so much good feeling towards you on here, can you really be so hurt as to stay away forever?
You have made valuable and worthwhile contributions to the Forum and we hope that you feel able to continue doing so - it was NEVER personal, as is evidenced by all the sadness expressed at your leaving.

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 December 2016, 20:24:23 »

When I decide to overtake on the road I mentioned earlier, even I'm doing 65-70 in no time, and that's in a puny astra. I would imagine 70 would come up in a nanosecond in Opti's car.

In isolation it feels extremely rapid.

I suppose the latest 600 BHP projectiles from Ze Fatherland,  the Audi RS6, the Mercedes E63, and BMW M5, may make it seem like 'the fat boy with asthma'..........but it's all relative. :y

STEMO

« Reply #53 on: 01 December 2016, 20:37:26 »

I suppose the latest 600 BHP projectiles from Ze Fatherland,  the Audi RS6, the Mercedes E63, and BMW M5, may make it seem like 'the fat boy with asthma'..........but it's all relative. :y
Well....not to harp on, you understand, but this why I'm happy with my astra. It is more than capable of doing a safe overtake quickly enough on a clear(ish) road. Driving around in a town on a day-to-day basis with room for the dog, shopping and a wardrobe if need be, is exactly the job I bought it for.
A lot of people get speed mixed up with acceleration, my car does not accelerate very quickly, but will travel at well over the NSL if required.
So, where does that leave me? When coming off a roundabout I am often tailgated by a golf or beemer, because they accelerate much quicker than me. But within, say, five seconds, I am at the limit and, if they want to come past me, they're very welcome.
Another reason not to take bends fast or accelerate quickly is that I would make chips out of my dog in it's cage.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 December 2016, 20:54:25 »

Well....not to harp on, you understand, but this why I'm happy with my astra. It is more than capable of doing a safe overtake quickly enough on a clear(ish) road. Driving around in a town on a day-to-day basis with room for the dog, shopping and a wardrobe if need be, is exactly the job I bought it for.
A lot of people get speed mixed up with acceleration, my car does not accelerate very quickly, but will travel at well over the NSL if required.
So, where does that leave me? When coming off a roundabout I am often tailgated by a golf or beemer, because they accelerate much quicker than me. But within, say, five seconds, I am at the limit and, if they want to come past me, they're very welcome.
Another reason not to take bends fast or accelerate quickly is that I would make chips out of my dog in it's cage;D

I can almost visualise this in cartoon form. ;D ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.