Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-polution measures  (Read 1165 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Anti-polution measures
« on: 01 December 2016, 20:10:24 »

They've been on about these on TV.Some of the ideas put forward to reduce vehicle pollution.Stop vehicles sitting idling outside schools,hospitals etc.Re-engineer speed bumps to stop traffic accelerating between them.While on that theme someone else said do away with speed bumps altogether to smooth traffic flow.Introduce more 20mph zones in towns/cities and reduce motorway speed limit to 50mph.Whether any of these will actually get passed into law obviously remains to be seen.But if say the motorway limit were to be dropped to 50 would this mean that trucks would then be travelling at the same speed as all other traffic,or would they then reduce the limit for trucks? So many possibles 8)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Anti-polution measures
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2016, 20:17:11 »

Could reduce face to face meetings. Problem is people love getting out of the office.....

Video conferencing? Has it caught on?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2016, 20:25:37 »

If this is a new debate in the media, then I have missed it, but exactly what pollution is being discussed?
Vehicle engines of all types have never been cleaner and can scarcely merit such draconian measures that you report, Baza. In fact, a few years ago, Volvo produced a concept car that they claimed offered "negative pollution", rendering the air cleaner when it had finished with it than before! ; they said that even whilst inactive in the garage it still cleaned the air, but I'm not sure that I believe that bit! Does anyone else remember that concept car?
I've commented before in this forum about the non-polluting aspect of current cars
a nd even those of a couple of decades ago, and if you are speaking of CO2 specifically, that is a major con: We produce over 98% of global CO2, so even if we banned all vehicles, it would make FA difference in practice to the supposed global warming, etc..

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2016, 20:33:46 »

It is what was being reported on BBC news today.They mentioned CO2,nitrous oxide and even bits of rubber shed from vehicle tyres :o and in all probability some other stuff that I can't recall at present.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2016, 20:42:23 »

This was not being mooted as a legislative solution, no laws will be passed in parliament. It is being suggested that local councils could identify bottlenecks and use the aforementioned suggestions to reduce pollution. No mention was made of reducing the speed limit on motorways.

The likelihood of it ever happening is very slim, because councils don't have the money to do it and central government won't give them any.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2016, 20:59:57 »

GOOD!   :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2016, 21:11:45 »

It has been put into the public domain by NICE (National institute for clinical excellence) after they commissioned a report.
Wtf this has to do with them god only knows. Their main function is to decide which medicines should or shouldn't be available to the NHS, and they don't seem to be very good at it.
Perhaps this is a form of distraction from the bad publicity they have got in recent times, for things such as not allowing relatively cheap drugs to be purchased to treat cancer patients ?
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 01 December 2016, 21:25:56 »

It has been put into the public domain by NICE (National institute for clinical excellence) after they commissioned a report.
Wtf this has to do with them god only knows. Their main function is to decide which medicines should or shouldn't be available to the NHS, and they don't seem to be very good at it.
Perhaps this is a form of distraction from the bad publicity they have got in recent times, for things such as not allowing relatively cheap drugs to be purchased to treat cancer patients ?
They changed their name to 'National institute for health and clinical excellence' for a while but decided that the acronym NICE would be spoiled so changed it back.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2016, 21:43:13 »

I saw some headlines about abolishing speed bumps.

I don't like them, but I am against their removal. Without them the local turbonutter/boy racers would go nuts. No difference to polution as they would simply accelerate like stink till they came to the next slow car, instead of the next speed bump.

And it's not just spotty youngsters, same applies to a lot of others who should know better. I have a 20mph speed limit outside my house, but it seems like its regarded as 20mph Mimimum !

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.