Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rosberg retires.  (Read 4339 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Rosberg retires.
« on: 02 December 2016, 13:27:45 »

Nico Rosberg has just announced his retirement from F1. Wasn't expecting that !
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

Re: Rosberg retires.
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2016, 13:30:37 »

Got to admire the lad, now is the time he could start demanding mega bucks.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2016, 13:33:40 »

He knew he got lucky, Hamilton had too many engine failures. Hamilton lost the Championship on his engine reliability, Rosberg was the backup really.

Rosberg has a family now, so understandable, sure he won't need the money.

Guessing as it's a German company they won't want two British drivers, but they should get Jenson in! Feel sorry for him retiring after being given shit car after shit car.  :'(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2016, 13:35:57 »

Get Jenson in ??? !!! Surely they want someone who can give Hamilton a run for his money. So that would be either of the Red Bull Drivers, or possibly Alonso.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 December 2016, 13:38:52 »

I am quietly pleased, never was really that taken to him and as Tunnie says, he won the title more by default than his outright ability this season.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 December 2016, 13:43:43 »

I don't disagree that he was lucky to win the title, only an idiot would. He is simply not in Hamiltons league, but then who is ?
However, I also think he has been a bit under rated, as he is a seriously quick driver. Particularily if he has a clear track in front of him, which, seems to be a German trait for some reason. He did after all make his former team mate look a bit ordinary, and people who claim to be F1 fans, but actually know nothing about it, think he was the greatest driver of all time.
Vettels lawyers are probably examining his Ferrari contract with a fine tooth comb, as we speak.  ::)
« Last Edit: 02 December 2016, 13:45:40 by Migv6 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 December 2016, 13:46:15 »

Get Jenson in ??? !!! Surely they want someone who can give Hamilton a run for his money. So that would be either of the Red Bull Drivers, or possibly Alonso.  :)

Err no they won't! They would want a solid person who can ensure they win the Constructors Trophy. They don't want two super top drivers, a backup one who puts in solid performances is what is needed.

I think Alonso could be a good bet, more mature now. Wonder if they would favour Vettel, but his rants at Ferrari have not put him in a good light.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 02 December 2016, 13:56:58 »

Max please  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 December 2016, 14:55:03 »

That would be interesting, but maybe Mercedes would consider him not quite ready yet, and Red Bull would fight tooth and nail to keep him.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 December 2016, 14:58:41 »

I think Alonso would be chomping at the bit for a seat there, be interesting to see how those two get on few years later.

Still think Jenson could get in, not driving next year. So ready to go, good solid driver, team player and would not cause issues with Hamilton as been team mates before.

Somehow think easier driver management would be on Merc's wish list.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 December 2016, 15:04:30 »

Err no they won't! They would want a solid person who can ensure they win the Constructors Trophy. They don't want two super top drivers, a backup one who puts in solid performances is what is needed.

I think Alonso could be a good bet, more mature now. Wonder if they would favour Vettel, but his rants at Ferrari have not put him in a good light.

In which case, why did they have Rosberg and Hamilton racing each other for pole / race wins/ world championships for the last three years ? When Rosbergs contract expired they could have replaced him with the type of driver you describe.  ;)
I would imagine they will want another German, so Vettel could actually be a possibility. Difficult to imagine any team being big enough for the ego,s of both Hamilton and Vettel though. They could of course bring in a young up and coming German ?
That would certainly suit Hamilton, assuming Merc have a competitive car next season.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 December 2016, 15:05:41 »

I would bet all the money I have, that Button wont get the drive.  :)

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 02 December 2016, 15:15:18 »

That would be interesting, but maybe Mercedes would consider him not quite ready yet, and Red Bull would fight tooth and nail to keep him.
.....and Hamilton would shit himself fight tooth and nail to resist that suggestion.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 December 2016, 15:25:00 »

Not sure I agree.He has a lot of faith in his own abilities and loves to be challenged. That might be a challenge too far though ?
If anyone can challenge Hamilton in the near future, then its going to be Verstappen - assuming he doesn't have a huge accident, which IMO, is a distinct possibility, unfortunately.
It seems Rosbergs reasoning was partly due to the fact that winning the Championship took so much out of him, that he didn't fancy doing it all again a year later. No doubt with the knowledge that he wasn't likely to be that lucky two years in a row.
That, I suppose is the difference between him and Hamilton. It drained Rosberg, but Hamilton really thrives on it as it comes so naturally to him. It seems he was born to drive racing cars at the limit, and its no big effort for him to do it.
From memory the only other driver to do what Rosberg has done was Alan Jones. He won his and Williams first Championship and then turned down a  huge amount sum of money to carry on. He had promised himself and his wife, if hew became world champion he would stop.
He changed his mind a couple of years later and came back, but it was a big mistake. Things had moved on while he was away.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 December 2016, 16:21:46 »

He knew he got lucky, Hamilton had too many engine failures. Hamilton lost the Championship on his engine reliability, Rosberg was the backup really.

Rosberg has a family now, so understandable, sure he won't need the money.

Guessing as it's a German company they won't want two British drivers, but they should get Jenson in! Feel sorry for him retiring after being given shit car after shit car.  :'(

My great Aunt Mabel would be cheaper and faster. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2016, 16:36:59 »

Rosberg  is a worthy champion. He won nine races and at times outclassed Hamilton.

How many races did his old man Keke win in 1982?

How many races did Kimi win when he became champion?   

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2016, 16:42:05 »

Wehrlein is my bet.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2016, 16:48:30 »

As they stated on the t.v ...over the three years both drivers had 3 major engine problems that cost them the championship title...so on that basis its evens...still think Hamilton is the far better all round driver,,makes you wonder had Hamilton won the title.would rosberg still have retired....,,doubt it very much....he just hasent the luck and skill he needs to carry on against a far better driver,,bye bye rosberg... ;D ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2016, 16:58:13 »

And he's towards the end of his top flank driving career anyway.

So go out on a high.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2016, 17:11:10 »

Rosberg has never outclassed Hamilton in a single race since Hamilton joined the team. ;)
Keke Rosberg won only one race to become champion in 1982, but it was a very strange and terribly tragic year.
Whatever stats someone wants to spin to say things have been even, Hamilton would have still won the title this year if he had only suffered one less engine failure.
I would have to check, but Im pretty sure Hamilton had four failures this year alone, and Rosbergs failures in previous seasons wouldn't have made the difference between him winning the title and not winning it.
Sounds like the TV were talking shite tbh. Hard to believe I know, but it does happen on rare occasions.  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 December 2016, 17:13:06 »

When in the right frame of mind, Hamilton is a class leading driver.

But he's easily demoralised, and historically suffered childish tantrums
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 December 2016, 17:23:20 »

Even when he gats emotional, he is usually still faster than the others. He is a bit emotionally immature, due imo to the fact his father was his Svengali figure from a young kid to his mid twenties, so in certain respects he is growing up a long time after most people normally would.
He also has a bit of a siege mentality, and doesn't trust many people, so gets suspicious when things go against him.
It was understandable though when eight cars on the grid use Mercedes engines and all had total reliability, yet he had four (?) engine failures this season.I think anyone would have started getting a bit paranoid.
Despite all that, Im convinced he is one of the best of all time (I rate him at number three personally) and definitely the best since Senna.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 December 2016, 18:52:09 »

Wehrlein is my bet.

You may well be right. He came up through the Mercedes junior team ranks.  :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 December 2016, 19:01:03 »

Bottas who is managed by Toto Wolf ;)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 December 2016, 19:02:51 »

As they say, if you want to win, employ a Fin.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 December 2016, 19:03:32 »

As they say, if you want to win, employ a Fin.

I rate him given the right car :y
other rides 

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 December 2016, 19:43:58 »

Clarkson and evans 500/1 odds.  ;D ;D

Seen Vettel at 2/1.

Wehrlein now evens.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 December 2016, 04:28:44 »

Rosberg is a worthy champion as you can only race what is put in front of you. Hamilton had his 1) off days, 2) bad starts and 3) reliability problems. With better 1) and 2) Hamilton would have won his 4th WC, 3) is racing leading edge fragile machines, which are designed to last just over the minimum requirements. Rosberg had the rub of the silver green this year, but that is racing. ::) ::) ::)

In many sports 1% or less is all the difference. In F1 it is typically worth 0.9secs a lap! :o :o :o

There is no doubt that Hamilton is the better more round racer, where Rosberg, like Vettel are much more, the 'plain cook' solid performers. Whereas Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen (and Button on a balanced setup good day) are the 'a la carte'  Michelin 3* racers. Hamilton IMO is a bit lazy and will aim to do 'just enough' except when his back is against the wall, when he shows how exceptionally good he is. Hamilton's equal or better IMO are Alonso and Verstappen so bring them on in the team or with competitive drives, so there is a real scrap!  :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 December 2016, 21:14:49 »

I'm bemused how you would think Alonso is Hamiltons equal or better.
Hamilton entered F1 as Alonsos team mate at McClaren. Alonso was a double world champion, and generally recognised as the best driver in F1. Hamilton blerw him away and made him look pretty average.
Alonso,s ego was so bruised that he tried to blackmail Ron Dennis into making him the the teams official number one driver, and give Hamilton orders not to beat him.
Dennis refused, and then the Ferrarigate saga unfolded.
Verstappen may well be the man to challenge or beat Hamilton in the not too distant future, but is he ready to do that every race throughout the season yet ? I'm not sure ,but we will find out next year.

Ona slightly different note - I thought the Mercedes tea management at the last race was a disgrace. Trying to order your most successful driver to sacrifice his final chance of a fourth world title shows either clear bias against him, or totally amateurish managers who aren't fit to do their jobs.
Imo, it was probably a bit of both.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 December 2016, 21:21:17 »

Agree with your last para iin particular.

Latest grapevine rumour. Wehrlein to Williams, Bottas to Mercedes.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 December 2016, 21:36:07 »

Hamilton entered F1 as Alonsos team mate at McClaren. Alonso was a double world champion, and generally recognised as the best driver in F1. Hamilton blerw him away and made him look pretty average.
Alonso,s ego was so bruised that he tried to blackmail Ron Dennis into making him the the teams official number one driver, and give Hamilton orders not to beat him.
Verstappen may well be the man to challenge or beat Hamilton in the not too distant future, but is he ready to do that every race throughout the season yet ? I'm not sure ,but we will find out next year.

Ona slightly different note - I thought the Mercedes tea management at the last race was a disgrace. Trying to order your most successful driver to sacrifice his final chance of a fourth world title shows either clear bias against him, or totally amateurish managers who aren't fit to do their jobs.

I still think Alonso is a more complete package  than Hamilton,don't get me wrong as Hamilton is undeniably quick but I'm afraid his childish spoilt Brat behaviour  at times gets on my nerves.
other rides 

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 03 December 2016, 21:45:29 »

I still think Alonso is a more complete package  than Hamilton,don't get me wrong as Hamilton is undeniably quick but I'm afraid his childish spoilt Brat behaviour  at times gets on my nerves.
£88,000,000 a year can do strange things to a person. Opti will explain when he's about.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 December 2016, 21:56:14 »

He started out in a council house in Stevenage and worked hard for it, so good luck to him.  ;)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 December 2016, 22:46:03 »

He started out in a council house in Stevenage and worked hard for it, so good luck to him.  ;)

I thought Lord Opti is an 'old money' landed gentry type gent!  :o
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 04 December 2016, 06:46:03 »

That's what I said. £88 million a year to some council estate fella......like winning the lottery every day.....gonna turn him into a prima donna......and it has.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 December 2016, 14:03:58 »

£88,000,000 a year can do strange things to a person. Opti will explain when he's about.

Small change to M'lud I'm sure. It would even cover his annual laptop costs. ::) ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 December 2016, 11:36:31 »

Apparently the latest on Rosbergs replacement is - Alonso and Vettel are definitely staying where they are. Mercedes want Bottas and have offered Williams a very good engine deal as a sweetener.
Williams say they wont let Bottas go unless Massa comes out of retirement to replace him.
I wonder how embarrassed Massa would be walking back into the pit lane after his tear filled farewell at the Brazilian Grand Prix.  ::) ;D
Anyhoo, Bottas is a pretty handy driver, and was very impressive a couple of years ago until the team started to slip backwards in comparison to Mercedes / Red Bull/ Ferrari.
I'm not sure he is capable of giving Hamilton as much competition that Rosberg did though.  :-\
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.