Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strut Top Mounts  (Read 793 times)

TheSoulDoctor_123

• Tavistock, Devon, U.K.
    • Omega 2.6 V6, Mercedes 19
    • View Profile
Strut Top Mounts
« on: 02 April 2020, 10:26:40 »

OK,

So with cabin fever setting in, I'm planning to fit the new wishbones I bought. I was advised by an ex cabbie, who had a couple of omegas back in the day, that its worth doing the top mounts at the same time, especially as mine were creaking and groaning a few months ago.

I've had a bit of a look through the forum posts, but I'm not that good with forums at the best of times.  Is there a guide on here anywhere for replacing the mounts, or does anyone know the procedure?

Many thanks in advance,

John.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Strut Top Mounts
« Reply #1 on: 02 April 2020, 11:11:29 »

Remove the top nut and plate. Pull the strut and dismantle it noting the following point.

Not using decent spring compressors will see you in A+E before you can sneeze.

Pay close attention to the orientation of the all the parts as you disassemble it. Getting them wrong causes unnecessary geometry headaches... In particular the upper spring cup rotation relative to the hub position and the cup washer under the top mount.

Take lots of pictures before you start and as you go.

Unless you have the correct alignment kit, or somewhere guaranteed to be open to get it done, don't use the car until you've had it set up.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 April 2020, 11:41:07 »

The creaking is the bearings, which  might just need greasing. But doing it, and the alignment after, strongly suggests the £20 per side replacement.

The actual top mounts, which appear to be rubber blocks, will look OK but will have compressed compared to new ones.

It isn't really worth messing with the struts piecemeal; replace everything - struts, springs, top mounts and bearings, and the bump stops - in one go. Careful shopping will do this for under £200 per side.

Large, robust spring compressors are essential,and the traditional hooked ones aren't really up to the job

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 April 2020, 18:32:19 »

Additional thoughts...

These compress over time obviously and will do from new progressively until they settle, along with the rest of the suspension. As I'm sure you know. I'd strongly suggest waiting for it to settle before alignment. Or especially before fitting new tyres. Or set it up, then double check again in a month or maybe two. But it will settle. And that WILL bring on inner edge wear. The amount of settling ass partly visible by the gap between the top mount washer and the turret. If you can get fingers in it's had a good settle iirc ...?

Easily overlooked if 'just getting the job done'  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.