Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed Gear Selector lights sometimes all on and Auto Gearbox seems to slip  (Read 1419 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile

Hi can anyone help me? Sometimes all the lights on the selector panel light up, it clears by moving selector back and forth.  The last few days, the revs on the car seem to stay high before changing gear. I have seen the Gearbox fluid which was the colour it should be red, as recently changed Main Coolant Radiator.

Does this all point to the selector switch on box?  If so is there anybody near Darlington who could have a look at it for me please, or recommend a garage around here, as I don't feel confident enough to sort it and adjust it after?

Thanks in advance.

Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Certainly selector switch is the culprit with the lights not following the selector position, so that's the first thing to tackle. They often suffer water ingress. Worth taking it off and cleaning / drying it out the reassembling with a little silicone grease.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

Sorry for the delay in replying. I read the maintenance post about cleaning the switch and symptoms, which is intermittent at the moment, but clears when the selector is moved back and forward through the gears.  I have checked for error codes and have got p1600 internal power control final stage watchdog error, which in the error codes in the maintenance section shows P1600 as Reprogram or Replace Electronic Control Unit (ECU), does this mean the gearbox one on the drivers side behind the kick panel?

I read somewhere that the crank sensor can cause problems with the box? The car starts everytime.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Addy
« Last Edit: 09 April 2019, 19:33:28 by addy »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile

I would clean the selector switch before swapping anything else. Related codes may steer you in the wrong direction. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Usually a Desmond issue, but don't dismiss it as the V6 rarely throws a crank sensor code ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

Sorry what is a Desmond issue :).  How do I find out the Part No for the Crank Sensor. I am not going to get one yet just want to price one up with local Dealer.

Thanks
Addy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Desmond Tutu. 2.2... Cam sensor code is usually the 1600 gearbox one, crank sensor throws a crank sensor code.

V6 is the reverse... Cam sensor throws the correct code but the crank sensor throws anything but ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile

Hi can anyone help me? Sometimes all the lights on the selector panel light up, it clears by moving selector back and forth.  The last few days, the revs on the car seem to stay high before changing gear. I have seen the Gearbox fluid which was the colour it should be red, as recently changed Main Coolant Radiator.

Does this all point to the selector switch on box?  If so is there anybody near Darlington who could have a look at it for me please, or recommend a garage around here, as I don't feel confident enough to sort it and adjust it after?

Thanks in advance.

Addy

Did you top up the gearbox fluid after the radiator change because its very likely you lost some  ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile

I lost hardly any, but it drove OK. It has only just started to happen. I have spoken to a Old mechanic in Darlington that knows about the gearboxes. I am booking it in next week for a gearbox oil and filter change. He said he will look at the selector switch also and check the box over in general.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.