Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine noise, terminal?  (Read 61142 times)

lee4206

• southampton
  • Mot Tester
    • 2000 3.0l manual MV6
    • View Profile
Re: Engine noise, terminal?
« Reply #60 on: 01 March 2010, 21:54:36 »

If needed/wanted i have  boroscope/inspection camera you can borrow. Im only in southampton so not to far.  let me no if needed.
Lee
VAUXHALL TRADE CLUB AND HALFORDS TRADE CARD  AND V6 LOCKING KIT HOLDER  always happy to help if poss

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 01 March 2010, 22:05:25 »

On the plus side, if a foreign object had got into the inlet and caused valve damage, I would expect close to a 0 compression reading.....

Agreed. It isn't going to raise 6 bar during cranking with any damage to speak of.

I'm also sure we would have seen witness marks on the spark plug and piston crown if that were the case.

I will try the fluid on the intake valve check and the light behind the valve check as it's stripped down, then eliminate all the LPG electrical stuff and put it back together. I can even put on a spare manifold without any nozzles, thinking about it.

Kevin

And a goosed big end is not going to affect compression ratio.....only weak or poorly sealing rings or valve seats can do that.....

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 01 March 2010, 22:10:38 »

Kevin, as per my PM, I'd almost put money on it being with the wiring loom :y :y

I checked mine thoroughly in the living room before fitting and found that the injector wiring was crossed over... Was only the markers that were wrong, not the actual loom. :y :y

I'm sure it's nothing more serious than this. And we all know it's easy enough to swap injector wiring by accident when connecting up ::) ::)

It's easy to check the loom for an obvious cross... The 6 injector "Sets" are in individual branches  :y :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 01 March 2010, 22:53:23 »

Many thanks for the offers of bore scopes, etc.. :y I am optimistic that it won't be needed but I will bear in mind.

Checked the piston crowns tonight and whilst they were previously all looking wet after the initial start only number one was today. The others are dry as a bone. Put a little oil down the plug hole and cranked it without plugs to throw a little oil up the bore and disperse any remaining fuel and No. 1 is back to 14 bar.

LPG injector wiring was correct but it's been removed now. I'll put it all back together with the original loom tomorrow but I'm just knocking myself up a noid light to check the signals from the main ECU first just in case.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 01 March 2010, 22:58:50 »

Many thanks for the offers of bore scopes, etc.. :y I am optimistic that it won't be needed but I will bear in mind.

Checked the piston crowns tonight and whilst they were previously all looking wet after the initial start only number one was today. The others are dry as a bone. Put a little oil down the plug hole and cranked it without plugs to throw a little oil up the bore and disperse any remaining fuel and No. 1 is back to 14 bar.

LPG injector wiring was correct but it's been removed now. I'll put it all back together with the original loom tomorrow but I'm just knocking myself up a noid light to check the signals from the main ECU first just in case.

Kevin

Is that number to number on the loom or actually correct ;)

I had the crossed markers ;)

Oh... And go to bed!!! You must be knackered!

I may be able to pop down next week if another pair of eyes is needed
« Last Edit: 01 March 2010, 23:00:04 by Lazydocker »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 01 March 2010, 23:06:52 »

Is that number to number on the loom or actually correct ;)

I had the crossed markers ;)

Numbers and colour codes all match and go to the correct pins on the injectors as far as I can see. Whether they go to the correct pins on the LPG ECU is another matter, of course. .. and I will just check the output from the main ECU. I have been in the main ECU connector making connections. You never know.

Tomorrow's job.

Oh... And go to bed!!! You must be knackered!

I may be able to pop down next week if another pair of eyes is needed

I wish I was as knackered now as I was mid afternoon. ;D

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 01 March 2010, 23:16:22 »

At least it looks like there's no FOD  :y :y

Assuming it all runs OK with normal loom plugged in I'd be testing continuity between the injector plugs on the LPG Loom... Should highlight the problem without digging around at the plug end ;) ;)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 02 March 2010, 08:14:37 »

Think how nice and clean those rings will be on no 1 cylinder now.....

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 02 March 2010, 08:26:09 »

Has your MV6 got EGR?

Is the nut on the flexible pipe done up properly?

Your initial comment about the noise being more rapid than a sticky lifter makes me wonder if it isn't caused by exhaust pulses making giving something a hammering :-/
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 02 March 2010, 18:17:50 »

Has your MV6 got EGR?

Is the nut on the flexible pipe done up properly?

Your initial comment about the noise being more rapid than a sticky lifter makes me wonder if it isn't caused by exhaust pulses making giving something a hammering :-/
It was - we went around checking for vibration noises. Obviously, the plenum is currently off at the mo...
Grumpy old man

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 02 March 2010, 18:40:50 »

Just a thought guys, I remember when we had the mini cambelt party at Chez Massive the other year, after doing the cam covers and cambelt on a motor Daz fired it up and was greeted with a horrible knocking/banging noise.
Naturally after a cambelt change the timing was suspected so the pink one set about stripping it down again to check the timing, which was found to be spot on (Yes he has got one right at last ;D).
After a bit of head scratching he phoned Mr. DTM and was told to change the plug leads.
So with a set of new leads the engine was reassembled and voila purred like a good un.
Just a bit more food for thought as they say, as I assume the leads have been off/ disturbed during the LPG work.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 02 March 2010, 18:55:14 »

Just a thought guys, I remember when we had the mini cambelt party at Chez Massive the other year, after doing the cam covers and cambelt on a motor Daz fired it up and was greeted with a horrible knocking/banging noise.
Naturally after a cambelt change the timing was suspected so the pink one set about stripping it down again to check the timing, which was found to be spot on (Yes he has got one right at last ;D).
After a bit of head scratching he phoned Mr. DTM and was told to change the plug leads.
So with a set of new leads the engine was reassembled and voila purred like a good un.
Just a bit more food for thought as they say, as I assume the leads have been off/ disturbed during the LPG work.

Not a bad thought but I don't see why the leads will have been disturbed. :-/ :-/

Actually... Didn't TB replace plugs too?

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 02 March 2010, 19:22:43 »

I hadn't seen it mentioned Paul so I was just chucking another possibility into the pot.
Would be easy to disturb a lead whilst routing pipe/ cable around the inlet mani I would have thought especially if the lead had become a bit brittle with age.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 02 March 2010, 20:44:55 »

Plugs were changed.
Grumpy old man

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 02 March 2010, 21:03:33 »

I'm assuming that we're still on for Thursday.

I'm leaving in the morning - driving down to Bristol in the afternoon, staying over tomorrow night for work on thursday. Then to you Thursday night.

won't bring tools as it looks like we'll not be removing heads after all. Added to that, the Holden hasn't got tie-down loops in the boot, so I couldn't keep the toolbox from crashing about properly.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 42   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.