Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical System Fault Light...  (Read 1301 times)

master-sambo

• Near Brands Hatch
    • View Profile
Electrical System Fault Light...
« on: 31 January 2008, 19:21:30 »

..on the dashboard of my 2002 Omega 2.2l CD auto has come on a couple of times over the last couple of days.  I noticed no difference in the car at all, but I did notice that it doesn't turn on again when I restart the engine.

Any ideas??

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical System Fault Light...
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2008, 19:37:08 »

..on the dashboard of my 2002 Omega 2.2l CD auto has come on a couple of times over the last couple of days.  I noticed no difference in the car at all, but I did notice that it doesn't turn on again when I restart the engine.

Any ideas??
Read the codes stored in ECU.  Try to do this sooner rather than later, as the ECU is unhappy about something.  And if its emmissions related, the ecu may be trying to compensate, which may not be doing the cat a whole heap of good.

Thats playing devils advocate, but still worth finding out why sooner than later :)
Grumpy old man

master-sambo

• Near Brands Hatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2008, 19:45:56 »

Any ideas??
Read the codes stored in ECU.  Try to do this sooner rather than later, as the ECU is unhappy about something.  And if its emmissions related, the ecu may be trying to compensate, which may not be doing the cat a whole heap of good.

Thats playing devils advocate, but still worth finding out why sooner than later :)

Forgive a n00b in the world of electrics, but how would I do this??

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2008, 20:22:39 »

Any ideas??

Forgive a n00b in the world of electrics, but how would I do this??

you will need to find a garage who can read the codes on your car by using some sort of diagnostic device, there will normally be a charge (a big one if you go to vauxhall) but it will tell you what it wrong with the car as the ECU stores these codes

ou will hear people talk about something called a paperclip test, because of the age of your car it cannot be done  >:(
« Last Edit: 31 January 2008, 20:23:14 by jay_w »

master-sambo

• Near Brands Hatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2008, 23:40:14 »

OK I took the car to my dads garage today and they hooked it up to some Bosch device, which read a code that mentioned Throttle Valve Control.

Apparently it is that which is causing the light to come on.  But Lee (teh mech boy) took a look at the paperwork I had with the motor and it has been replaced, but it appears the code memory hadn't been cleared down??

Who knows, I am no grease monkey.  At least it cost me nothing to get diagnosed :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2008, 00:22:43 »

OK I took the car to my dads garage today and they hooked it up to some Bosch device, which read a code that mentioned Throttle Valve Control.

Apparently it is that which is causing the light to come on.  But Lee (teh mech boy) took a look at the paperwork I had with the motor and it has been replaced, but it appears the code memory hadn't been cleared down??

Who knows, I am no grease monkey.  At least it cost me nothing to get diagnosed :y
Do you remember the code number?
Grumpy old man

master-sambo

• Near Brands Hatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2008, 11:05:05 »

Can't say I can remember the codes, but I am not a happy chappy.  The light came on again this morning, indicating a problem :(  I am taking it to the garage I bought it from this morning to get them to look at it. :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2008, 12:03:59 »

generally, if light on, problem still exists. clearing the codes will do jack.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.