Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blasted speed ramps!  (Read 1554 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Blasted speed ramps!
« on: 30 July 2009, 23:25:34 »

Not been having too good a time recently. I was pressing on on some empty country roads and drove into a hamlet with some big trees. Bright sun into shade and No notice whatsover of a speed hump the size of a blue whale. It had just been installed and tarmacced prior to possibly being painted and a sign installed.

Collected my teeth from the headlining and continued with the mother in law mildly concerned.

Since then the front tyres have started shrieking at the least amount of steering wheel turning. Didn't think too much about it as everyone elses are doing the same and I just put it down to the heat (38 C tonight)

I have had it up in the air and checked for wheel bearings, track rod ends, wishbones but can't see out. This might be another nail in the cars coffin. It is looking pretty big now......
Any thing I can check out apart from my speed?

El rapido Varche
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

albitz

Re: Blasted speed ramps!
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2009, 23:30:32 »

springs ?

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2009, 09:41:58 »

Legal coverage of your insurance?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2009, 15:24:28 »

No I don't think it is springs. Have jacked each wheel up and had a good look as best you can. Each front wheel arch is 66 cm from ground and look about right.

Martin- not a chance of claiming anything on insurance here but good idea!

On the plus side did 53 miles yesterday including motorway driving and it strangely used NO water. can't understand it but not complaining.
« Last Edit: 31 July 2009, 15:46:55 by olive »
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2009, 11:17:53 »

Could have knocked the tracking out.
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2009, 12:07:15 »

I was going to say it must have knocked something out of line, a simple cheapo tracking check at a local tyre fitters will tell you.  I am not hopeful, but I would be checking for guidelines on road humps, I seem the remember reading somewhere they HAVE to be clearly marked.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2009, 12:08:46 »

I was going to say it must have knocked something out of line, a simple cheapo tracking check at a local tyre fitters will tell you.  I am not hopeful, but I would be checking for guidelines on road humps, I seem the remember reading somewhere they HAVE to be clearly marked.

But in Spain?? ::) ::) ;) ;)

biggsy

• Rosyth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2009, 13:42:29 »

If it goes and stops in a straight line then what the hey ;D
however it could be the camber knocked out as appose to tracking that may explain the squeeling around corners
that is presuming you hit the ramp dead on other than that you may want to check the bolts on the top of the struts
anyway just some ideas hey and maybe you dislodged a radiator blockage hence the cooool running 8-) maybe nows the time for a flush ;)
Take care
Ron

ARCHIE

• central scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2009, 19:31:02 »

Definately knocked tracking out!
Quick way to check is (on level ground) set steering wheel to the straight ahead then from the front of the car, sight the front tyre walls (at hub level) through to the rear tyre walls.  They should all be in line.  My guess is that you will probably see a portion of tyre tread which would indicate   that the tracking is toeing out.  Another method is get a plank of wood longer than the wheelbase of the car and again at hub level, rest the plank against the front tyre walls.  Slide the plank back till it reaches the back tyre.  The tracking is ok if the plank lines up with the back tyrewall.  If the plank touches the tread, the tracking is toeing out, if the plank misses the back tyre completely, the tracking is toeing in.
Make sure you have a straight bit of wood!

Best of luck [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 August 2009, 23:35:13 »

I'll have a go at that Archie. I have a 6 metre long piece of metal box section and somewhere perfectly level that will do the job nicely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.