Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breather query.  (Read 959 times)

2boxerdogs

Breather query.
« on: 16 January 2011, 19:37:20 »

8-)Hi everyone, had the 2.6 about 6 weeks now and really enjoying it, no problems touch wood ! Have noticed a lot of posts commenting on breather pipes is there a way of knowing if they need cleaning, mine came with a full main dealer history is it likely they would have done this job when services were carried out, i have no invoices just a fully stamped service book.

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Breather query.
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2011, 19:41:16 »

If you're not sure then clean them. It's a fairly simple job and there is an excellent guide in the maintenance section.   :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2011, 19:56:11 »

Full dealer servicing? Yes. Uhm. Errr.  I have a car like that, I would suggest it does need doing then ;D
Grumpy old man

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2011, 20:49:58 »

Yes follow the guide and you will find the end results a real bonus as you will foreseeable save the cam-cover gaskets.

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2011, 00:02:21 »

From what I've read and learnt, main dealers don't even know that the breathers need cleaning out.

My mechanaic is pretty good at everything but when I first mentioned cleaning out the breathers he looked at me as if I were mad.

On the back of advice provided by this forum I also checked my wifes Vectra...15 years old...never been done. Cleaned them out and she's like a different car now.

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2011, 01:50:19 »

As said, dealers will not clean the breathers as part of any service history. If they even know the breather system exists at all....

Follow the guide every two years I think the master said.

Personally I have the plenum on and off far more often than that for one reason or another, and check/clean them then.

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2011, 13:23:56 »

IMO cleaning the breather properly isn't the work of a moment.

Don't get me wrong, it's an easy job, but labour intensive to do a really good job of it.

I'd be VERY suprised if a main dealer had done the job anything close to properly.

Follow the excellent guides in here, whip the plenumn, throttle body and intake trumpet off and do the job yourself. It isn't difficult so long as you amke notes of where stuff goes and bag & label all the nuts and bolts up.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2011, 15:39:22 »

:-/Thanks for your replies guys, but no mention of signs or symptoms as to breather problems , car has covered 2,500 miles in the last 6 weeks average mpg 31.4 power delivery is smooth & very responsive am i wrong in thinking if it ain"t broke why fix it ?

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2011, 16:23:02 »

With the breathers....NO !

They'll go for ages, driving well RIGHT up to the point where the gaskets start leaking, the oil seaps out and yer car stinks like mad. You won't really know until it's too late basically.

As a brief check, slide the 4 pipes off from the back of the plenum and take a look inside them. Are they COMPLETELY clear and grime free ?  Chances are that they won't be.  Wouldn't be surprised if you found a bit of "mayo" hidden in there.

Remove the small pipe from the breather box, situated on drivers side, slightly behind the engine. (The small pipe is a lot easier to get at than the large adjacent pipe.)

With the small pipe off you SHOULD spot a very small hole in the metal pipe remaining. Yes !  That should be completely clear. You'll be lucky if it is though. Needs to be clean and clear.

Two good initial checks to see if you may need to go the whole hog.

Personally, rightly or wrongly, and I'm sorry to admit this, but I blow an air line through the pipes and plenum on occasion to ensure that they're not clogged.

IF you tend to do a lot of short journeys/town driving and perhaps your car hasn't had regular oil changes every 3000 miles or so...the breathers WILL need doing.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2011, 16:25:02 by duggs »

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2011, 16:30:03 »

My pal works for vx at a main dealer and cleaning of the breather system is not part of the service program at all, he cleans them out for me when he does any top end work for me, yes you can leave it on the basis of if it aint broke dont fix it, but if you dont clean it , it soon will be broke, ie your cam covers will soon be leaking. :(   
HEED THE WARNING MATEY :y
« Last Edit: 19 January 2011, 16:31:54 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

2boxerdogs

« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2011, 22:06:27 »

;DThanks , at last the info i needed ,now i know where to look will check asap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.