Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance time again  (Read 6252 times)

STEMO

Insurance time again
« on: 08 March 2018, 21:31:31 »

Last year we insured with LV. I had my 1.4 astra and she had her Renault captur then. We have both changed our cars, so I guess a small increase would be in order. Last year mine was ~£250 and hers ~£350....£600ish.
I thought I would preempt the renewal notices by getting a multi car quote from the same company. £961  :o
I don't like using the meerkats cause the cheapo deals you get are usually with companies I've never heard of, but I might just give it a go this year.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance time again
« Reply #1 on: 09 March 2018, 01:05:09 »

Do it! You know it makes sense!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 08:37:07 »

I'm using the links from Martin Lewis' 'Money saving expert' site at the moment to get individual quotes for three vehicles which have previously been on an Aviva Multi car policy. It's time consuming, and I haven't finished the full suggested procedure yet, but the latest figures suggest a saving overall of C£320. It will be interesting to see if Aviva can get anywhere near this when I try to haggle with them.
If you can spare the time, it's well worth the effort.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 11:09:07 »

Last year we insured with LV. I had my 1.4 astra and she had her Renault captur then. We have both changed our cars, so I guess a small increase would be in order. Last year mine was ~£250 and hers ~£350....£600ish.
I thought I would preempt the renewal notices by getting a multi car quote from the same company. £961  :o
I don't like using the meerkats cause the cheapo deals you get are usually with companies I've never heard of, but I might just give it a go this year.

Will almost certainly cost more than insuring the cars individually........about £260 when more I checked it out.

Less work for 'lazy bastards' though. ::)....and with you being a scouser..... ::)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 11:12:37 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2018, 11:56:00 »

Got it down to a paltry £850 with aviva.  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2018, 12:02:35 »

That sounds a lot. I pay £306 for the Jag and £169 for the all conquering Signum.

You'll get a lower figure with a little more 'ferreting'

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2018, 12:27:55 »

That sounds a lot. I pay £306 for the Jag and £169 for the all conquering Signum.

Ours are kept on a street in Barnsley, that will make quite a difference to where you keep yours. How many miles a year do you put down for the jag? I put 15000 for my astra and that's being conservative.

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2018, 12:31:26 »

Also, Mo's car is insured for personal business use, in case she has to ferry a couple of kids back and forth.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2018, 12:31:53 »

Ours are kept on a street in Barnsley, that will make quite a difference to where you keep yours. How many miles a year do you put down for the jag? I put 15000 for my astra and that's being conservative.

You may have a point. The Jag is used as a 'toy' and insured for only 5000 miles. Not sure how they would know if I did more miles though.

I didn't have to give them a mileage figure.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2018, 12:32:49 »

I guess they'd go through your MOTs if they thought they could use it as a way to wangle their way out of paying up following a claim.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 March 2018, 12:38:23 »

Also, Mo's car is insured for personal business use, in case she has to ferry a couple of kids back and forth.

There was a chap on the Jaguar forum who 'very responsibly' changed to winter tyres in November. Another forum member suggested he should contact his insurance company for a 'possible' reduction in his premium.

The result.

No reduction and a charge of an additional £30 because the change to winter tyres was seen as a modification.  ;D

I tend to keep my gob shut when it comes to insurance companies. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 March 2018, 12:43:42 »

I guess they'd go through your MOTs if they thought they could use it as a way to wangle their way out of paying up following a claim.

.....possibly. But if an accident took place soon after the new MOT the mileage could be well below 5000.

When I had my Signum remapped I was supposed to declare it. .......but my memory is very poor these days. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 March 2018, 12:45:29 »

Asked that question when i renewed in January. Guy at brokers said that they didn,t. :o Also if it,s under three years old they cant, Can they? :)

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2018, 12:48:41 »

Just been on the meerkat site and tried my car only. The quote I got from aviva was around £480. I disregarded the first couple of around £360 because they sounded like Mickey Mouse outfits, with the extras I wanted costing more. The average quotes from the usual suspects were all around the same as aviva. One company, called achoice, wanted £1011  ;D
I'm gonna bite the bullet, I think. Cest la vie.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2018, 12:48:54 »

Asked that question when i renewed in January. Guy at brokers said that they didn,t. :o Also if it,s under three years old they cant, Can they? :)

Good point.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 March 2018, 12:52:12 »

Just been on the meerkat site and tried my car only. The quote I got from aviva was around £480. I disregarded the first couple of around £360 because they sounded like Mickey Mouse outfits, with the extras I wanted costing more. The average quotes from the usual suspects were all around the same as aviva. One company, called achoice, wanted £1011  ;D

You could save £1011 by using Scouserinsure.com.

I believe many scousers use this and are very satisfied. :)

To keep costs down you can print your own policy.
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 12:54:04 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2018, 12:55:09 »

Guy is a very common name these days.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2018, 13:00:39 »

Guy is a very common name these days.
Young whipper snapper then. :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 March 2018, 13:37:18 »

It is fortunate that your good lady has a job that means you are all 'dripping with wealth'. I hear rumours that even your whippet wears a solid gold collar.

Spare a thought for those  impoverished souls living in rural poverty in Lincolnshire. :'(
« Last Edit: 09 March 2018, 13:40:20 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

STEMO

« Reply #19 on: 09 March 2018, 13:50:40 »

It is fortunate that your good lady has a job that means you are all 'dripping with wealth'. I hear rumours that even your whippet wears a solid gold collar.

Spare a thought for those  impoverished souls living in rural poverty in Lincolnshire. :'(
.....who buy jaguar motor cars to use as 'toys'. You poor sod.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 March 2018, 14:30:28 »

Yes....but Barnsley is the London of the north with it's bright lights and sexy women. I live in the tundra so I need the Jag to stop me from hanging myself. :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 March 2018, 19:43:33 »

It's only in the last few years that I've bothered with comparison sites.Now I use them every time the renewal dates roll round.This year the V70 is with Saga and the Elite is with Tesco bank.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 March 2018, 21:18:44 »

Got to Aviva  via quidco or Topcashback and you will save another £50.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 March 2018, 08:21:07 »

For me, multicar works out cheapest. But it does seem to vary depending on circumstances.

For my 3, I paid £700 and something. That's 20,000 miles pa for the 2 saloons, 10k for the bus, business use for me on all 3, business use for her on the 2 saloons.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #24 on: 10 March 2018, 09:37:18 »

For me, multicar works out cheapest. But it does seem to vary depending on circumstances.

For my 3, I paid £700 and something. That's 20,000 miles pa for the 2 saloons, 10k for the bus, business use for me on all 3, business use for her on the 2 saloons.
Yeah. I reckon it's the postcode and the street parking that's bumping it up. I'm not going to stress too much, people have worse things to worry about.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 March 2018, 10:32:48 »

Don't forget to get your cashback! :y
Oops sorry Albs :-[

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 March 2018, 11:06:16 »

Yes....but Barnsley is the London of the north with it's bright lights and sexy women. I live in the tundra so I need the Jag to stop me from hanging myself. :)

The permafrost must be deep in your patch of the tundra M'lud as you always seem to park your cars on the lawn.  ::)

Mine would sink up to the axles if I tried that!  :P

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 10 March 2018, 12:06:36 »

The permafrost must be deep in your patch of the tundra M'lud as you always seem to park your cars on the lawn.  ::)

I actually got my Jag 'beached' on the lawn and no amount of pushing, pulling, or tugging would free it.

I called Jaguar assist. To save embarrassment  I told him Mrs Opti had done it and I would never let her near the car again.

I'm very gentlemanly like that. I gave the fella a 1 litre bottle of Bells for his trouble. He seemed happy with that.  :) 

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 March 2018, 12:30:15 »

I actually got my Jag 'beached' on the lawn and no amount of pushing, pulling, or tugging would free it.

I called Jaguar assist. To save embarrassment  I told him Mrs Opti had done it and I would never let her near the car again.

I'm very gentlemanly like that. I gave the fella a 1 litre bottle of Bells for his trouble. He seemed happy with that.  :)

I can imagine the phone call....

" Hello, Jaguar Assist?  Oh good, eerrrrm right it's like this........"
  :-[     ;D ;D ;D

2boxerdogs

« Reply #29 on: 12 March 2018, 16:17:47 »

Just had the renewal for wifes Subaru from LV, last year £243 this year £217 happy with that.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 14 March 2018, 17:08:53 »

You`ve clearly never been to Barnsley  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #31 on: 14 March 2018, 17:23:58 »

We went to Leeds to get Mo's car. I know where I'd rather live.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2018, 19:23:30 »

Down Sarfe I presume. ::)

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2018, 19:35:26 »

Certain parts of down sarfe, Chris, maybe.  :y
Your particular neck of the woods would suit me fine. Swapsies?

STEMO

« Reply #34 on: 14 March 2018, 20:20:59 »

Still no further on with finding what I consider to be a reasonable quote. I'll wait for my renewal quote from LV. IIRC, they let you pay monthly without charging interest, that might soften the blow.

STEMO

« Reply #35 on: 15 March 2018, 10:30:13 »

Just realised that I have a 0% purchases card until Feb 2020, so I'll kick it down the road.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 March 2018, 12:31:23 »

Certain parts of down sarfe, Chris, maybe.  :y
Your particular neck of the woods would suit me fine. Swapsies?

I'll think about it......errr no. ::)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 March 2018, 20:44:51 »

Leeds is a big place  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #38 on: 15 March 2018, 21:26:57 »

Leeds is a big place  ;)
I know, but, like most big cities, about three quarters of it is a shithole.  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #39 on: 15 March 2018, 21:29:05 »

And here's one for you.......Barnsley covers an area three times the size of Liverpool  :o

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 March 2018, 22:49:49 »

Leeds is a big place  ;)
I know, but, like most big cities, about three quarters of it is a shithole.  ;D

I agree with that one  :y

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 17 March 2018, 13:32:46 »

I should have waited for the renewal letters before trying to be clever. Mine is £384, £10 less than last year and Mo's is £314, £10 less than last year.
All done for another year  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 17 March 2018, 16:16:14 »

I always wait for the renewal letter, though Admiral have been far cheaper than any other company for Zed.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 17 March 2018, 17:22:03 »

I should have waited for the renewal letters before trying to be clever. Mine is £384, £10 less than last year and Mo's is £314, £10 less than last year.

£384 for an old man driving an Astra derv. :D

Does Barnsley suffer with car theft? ;)

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 17 March 2018, 17:45:27 »

£384 for an old man driving an Astra derv. :D

Does Barnsley suffer with car theft? ;)
Oh dear God  :-[
You're right......a silly old man......£284.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 18 March 2018, 15:24:24 »

Just got my renewal through for my 3.2 MV6 from Aviva -

L37 Post code parked on road (Cul de sac)
Business use (13K a year  :y)
3 points :-[
51 years old
wife as named driver
18K miles  >:(
Chartered Engineer.

£390 fully comp

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 March 2018, 07:23:38 »

Just got my renewal for the Datsun and it`s gone down £20 so I`m not even bothering shopping round this year  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.