Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mobile phone charger fuse  (Read 6597 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Mobile phone charger fuse
« Reply #15 on: 07 November 2007, 20:43:07 »

daft question ... has the retro fitted ciggy lighter been put in the "wrong" way round ?? For a light it won't matter s +ve/-ve matter not  ... but your charger will have a solid state step down transformer in it, so may well short out if connected "wrongly"

I would do a bit if checking with a meter to check polarity   :(
« Last Edit: 07 November 2007, 20:45:06 by entwood »

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 November 2007, 20:59:57 »

Thanks entwood.

I think you may have solved my problem ???the lead with the retro ciggy lighter had a plug on the end which i decided to cut of revealing a red and black wire.....if my memeory is correct i connected the red wire to the brown wire on the courtesy light plug...then connected the black lead on ciggy wire to the black lead on the light wire....will have a closer look again in the morning but your theory does sound logical.....would it be possible for vauxhall to have the brown lead as earth and the black lead as live as from earlier advise it appears that the glove box loght has a permenant live and a switched earth so if that is the case should i connect the red ciggy wire to the live feed from the light and pick up a body work earth?

Andrew

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 November 2007, 21:10:08 »

Check the polarity of the socket, if it's reverse polarity and the chargers got a diode fitted to prevent reverse connection it will blow the fuse every time.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2007, 21:10:23 by CaptainZok »
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 November 2007, 21:18:01 »

But the proper ciggy lighters should be wired correctly ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 November 2007, 21:18:37 »

Or just charge your phone at home :P
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 November 2007, 21:49:44 »

Thinking for all the trouble might be worth buying a spare phone battery,just does seem strange though why it works in one car and not another...will have a look at the polarity issue in morning and see where that goes...still unsure why it won,t even light charger tell tale light in standard ciggy socket.
Just for info how would i check which feed from the retro socket has the live assuming it isn,t as simple as red/live..black /earth?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 November 2007, 23:03:30 »

.....would it be possible for vauxhall to have the brown lead as earth and the black lead as live as from earlier advise it appears that the glove box loght has a permenant live and a switched earth so if that is the case should i connect the red ciggy wire to the live feed from the light and pick up a body work earth?

Andrew

That's it. Vauxhall's earth/ground/zero volts/whatever you want to call it is normally brown, lives can be red or can be black for ignition live - look at your courtesy lamp.
« Last Edit: 07 November 2007, 23:15:17 by Andy_B »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 November 2007, 13:56:24 »

Could be that someone has had the main lighter socket out at some point and connected it up wrongly too. Or that once the charger had been plugged into a reversed socket it had blown the internal electronics and it's now shorted internally anyway, so it'll blow the fuse regardless.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 November 2007, 14:27:53 »

Could be that someone has had the main lighter socket out at some point and connected it up wrongly too. Or that once the charger had been plugged into a reversed socket it had blown the internal electronics and it's now shorted internally anyway, so it'll blow the fuse regardless.

Kevin

Hence the test I requested including the polarity check......

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 November 2007, 17:11:15 »

Kevin

Hence the test I requested including the polarity check......

Yes, which didn't show a problem, oddly, and the problem existed before the socket was fitted to the glovebox light  :-/

Worth double checking the polarity of the main lighter socket in the car?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 November 2007, 21:13:19 »

Thanks for advise guys..how do i check the polarity??I have not had time today to check if the glove box wiring is brown/eart   black /live..as was suggested,so will have a look in morning..will put a test light on both wires on the VX plug from glove box light and try and work out current,as am suspecting the advise of earlier.
Strange thing is also neither fag lighter will stay in when pushed so expect fault with those..just as well i dont smoke???but am now thinking that is why the VX ciggy lighter was also blowing fuse,but as light not polarity sensitive would not stop that from working..so how do i check their polarity  ??

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 November 2007, 21:41:33 »

Thanks for advise guys..how do i check the polarity??I have not had time today to check if the glove box wiring is brown/eart   black /live..as was suggested,so will have a look in morning..will put a test light on both wires on the VX plug from glove box light and try and work out current,as am suspecting the advise of earlier.
Strange thing is also neither fag lighter will stay in when pushed so expect fault with those..just as well i dont smoke???but am now thinking that is why the VX ciggy lighter was also blowing fuse,but as light not polarity sensitive would not stop that from working..so how do i check their polarity  ??

With a test lamp go from centre of cig lighter to a known body earth, if polarity is correct it will light.
If it doesn't try edge connection of cig lighter to body earth, if it lights polarity of cig lighter is reversed.
TuBy's new whipping boy.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 November 2007, 22:35:29 »

Thanks CaptainZok..have got a test lamp probe so will have a good look in morning and post results for info.assuking the original VX ciggy lighter at back and front are incorrectly wired which could be the case as neither lighter works and phone charger blows fuse..it is only hand held light which works..but think Entwood has pointed me straight on why that is..how do i correctly rewire the VX ciggy sockets as thought they had factory plug in them?

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 November 2007, 23:03:51 »

I think its possible to connect the cig lighter plug the wrong way round and reverse polarity.
TuBy's new whipping boy.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 November 2007, 23:23:42 »

amba ... a small, cheap multi-meter is invaluable for checking polarity and/or circuit continuity, as well as many other things .. they are now so cheap no-one should be without one ...

eg ..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=37279&doy=8m11

less than £6 !!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.