Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSE Amp !  (Read 3967 times)

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
BOSE Amp !
« on: 17 November 2009, 01:42:58 »

Some bugger has removed the BOSE Amp at some point during my cars previous life BUT my Sony Xplod unit seems plenty loud enough for me.

My question is this.  What does it do that the XPLOD can't and with all the wiring still in tact where can a find a compatible "plug and play" amp to put back in ?

I_want_an_Omega

Re: BOSE Amp !
« Reply #1 on: 17 November 2009, 07:04:43 »

Its a special plug - but get a Haynes manual as the wiring colours are there and splice away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2009, 08:37:12 »

Your biggest challenge is that the Bose speakers are 2ohm and many audio amps (particularly integrated) dont like driving 2 ohm loads.

Years ago they would 'motor boat' when wound up but these days, they dont....they just die!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 17 November 2009, 08:44:13 »

Some bugger has removed the BOSE Amp at some point during my cars previous life BUT my Sony Xplod unit seems plenty loud enough for me.

My question is this.  What does it do that the XPLOD can't and with all the wiring still in tact where can a find a compatible "plug and play" amp to put back in ?

Be more specific - Xplod head unit or Amplifier ?

It is entirely possible to replace a BOSE amplifier with an aftermarket amplifier PROVIDING that you can find a low power one that will run at 2 Ohms per channel. Many will advertise running at 2 Ohms bridged, but this is NOT the same.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
  • previously from leicestershire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 November 2009, 11:21:44 »

there is a BOSE amp on the bay of E see it last night whilst looking through lol

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2009, 13:49:40 »

I have NO idea what I've just purchased BUT I've bought it anyway.  Many, many thanks for lookin' after me.

I'm assuming that I can just slide this "thing I've just bought" in to the box hanging from the rear parcel shelf, plug it in using the plug and wires hanging within and away I go. I'll let you know...

Rgds,
Chris

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2009, 14:15:02 »

OOOOOO didn't know there were different sorts...sorry!

Its a Sony Xplod head unit with Blue tooth.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2009, 14:23:37 »

Unfortunately, it's not that straightforward to drive the Bose amp from an aftermarket head unit. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2009, 14:25:06 »

I have NO idea what I've just purchased BUT I've bought it anyway.  Many, many thanks for lookin' after me.

I'm assuming that I can just slide this "thing I've just bought" in to the box hanging from the rear parcel shelf, plug it in using the plug and wires hanging within and away I go. I'll let you know...

Rgds,
Chris
Hi Chris, hope thats what you were looking for, and that it goes well, i knew i had seen one some were on ebay last night jsut took some finding, IMHO i think from reading other posts the bose amps on the miggy saloon are all the same

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2009, 14:27:03 »

Unfortunately, it's not that straightforward to drive the Bose amp from an aftermarket head unit. :-/

Kevin
I  pressume that it was the right bose amp i found though Kevin, did do a thorough search for it

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 17 November 2009, 14:34:03 »

OOOOOO didn't know there were different sorts...sorry!

Its a Sony Xplod head unit with Blue tooth.

Sony Xplod was the name given to a whole range - a bit like just saying you have an Omega - Doesn`t tell you which one or what the variant is.

model number is on the front   ;)

Howver, be carefull if plugging in the BOSE amp, you may be opening up a tin of worms - as the vehicle may have been converted to Non-BOSE and by putting back a BOSE amp, you may also need to replace the BOSE speakers - then, you will find that your Sony stereo is not compatable with it, as you also require a BOSE head unit to make it work.

Had you correctly identified your head unit earlier, I could probably have saved you the purchase of that non compatable amp

:'(

www.dndservices.co.uk

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 November 2009, 15:04:13 »

Unfortunately the car is not with me today.

She's having her MOT and re-newing the non-existant breaks, pads and discs.

I'm puzzled though but please bare with me..I know NOTHING about steroes and such. ...I have got the original console, crappy old philips tape player included. The plug that was in the car fitted straight in to my Xpod headunit, granted the previous owners had a Kenwood fitted. The cables for the original amp are all in situ, as built...they've merely swiped the amp.

Are you saying that the Bose AMP won't pick up anything from the Xplod despite nothing changing regarding the wiring ?

That said, I'm currently doing some work for a Car Audio Fit Out Company and I suspect the Boss will be up for a deal somewhere along the line ???
« Last Edit: 17 November 2009, 15:09:42 by duggs »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 17 November 2009, 15:26:14 »

Unfortunately the car is not with me today.

She's having her MOT and re-newing the non-existant breaks, pads and discs.

I'm puzzled though but please bare with me..I know NOTHING about steroes and such. ...I have got the original console, crappy old philips tape player included. The plug that was in the car fitted straight in to my Xpod headunit, granted the previous owners had a Kenwood fitted. The cables for the original amp are all in situ, as built...they've merely swiped the amp.

Are you saying that the Bose AMP won't pick up anything from the Xplod despite nothing changing regarding the wiring ?

That said, I'm currently doing some work for a Car Audio Fit Out Company and I suspect the Boss will be up for a deal somewhere along the line ???

The voltage levels used by the BOSE amp are incompatable with anything other than BOSE - do not try it, your stereo will go bang. you cannot mix and match BOSE and non-BOSE bits, from the speakers right up the the head unit, its all or nothing.

Howver, you are not going to lose out with the amp you have bought - someone here will undoubtedly have it, and you may even see a profit on it.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 November 2009, 16:03:00 »

Thank you Dave.

I wonder if BOSE do a MP3/Bluetooth head unit and would it be compatible with the AMP.

That being so...I wonder what sort of money they would be.  Any idea ?

Failing that...expect to see a nice looking AMP on Ebay any day soon now !

It doesn't bother me...tis only money. The joys of motoring as my 83 year old Father keeps telling me...LOL

ENFIELD_MV6

• Intermediate Member
  • Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 November 2009, 16:06:36 »

Thank you Dave.

I wonder if BOSE do a MP3/Bluetooth head unit and would it be compatible with the AMP.

That being so...I wonder what sort of money they would be.  Any idea ?

Failing that...expect to see a nice looking AMP on Ebay any day soon now !

It doesn't bother me...tis only money. The joys of motoring as my 83 year old Father keeps telling me...LOL

TBH if i had the choice and had the original BOSE head unit and all the speakers in the car were still BOSE i would put it back to standard thats just my humble opinion though
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.