Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to chiptune a omega 2.5 V6  (Read 3992 times)

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Want to chiptune a omega 2.5 V6
« Reply #30 on: 12 October 2010, 20:14:25 »

bit off tangent, but I had a dastek unichip fitted to my old prelude (which was an autobox vtec) which was remapped on a rolling road. Autoboxes are always  more difficult to map as accurately as manuals but I got improved power (nigh on extra 10%) with slightly better mpg. Of course the whole thing was retuned so that the vtec actuation point was lowered a bit and the fact that the mpg didnt decrease was probably down to the fact that Honda tend to run a bit rich in the first place. Overall, it was money well spent in terms of the amount of extra power I got per £spent-compared with what you get for the money you might spend on exhaust systems or induction kits for example. When I went to the same place to ask them about a dastek chip for my 2.5v6 auto omega however, I was told that 1)I wouldnt get the same sort of return that I got with the prelude (presumably because the mig isnt a vtec ) and that,2, as an autobox, it would be very hard to do(despite the prelude also being an autobox!). I phoned dastek and they said much the same-though stating that theyd done several very succesfull 2.5 manual Vectras. Seems like changing the cams is the way to go. :y

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 October 2010, 10:11:34 »

Many people talk about changing the cam but talked to my brother regarding that and (hes a the new kind of mechanic. Plug in the computer, change the part) and he told me to really look up that the motors had the same technical specs. if I wanted to change cams, or it could go bad.

Lets compare 2.5 V6 and 3.0 24V, they both have 24V but does anything but the cam differ between them?
« Last Edit: 13 October 2010, 10:15:01 by Java »
From Java

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 October 2010, 10:33:03 »

the 3.0 cams are a straight swap and reported to give 15 or so bhp extra due to the different profile used on the 3.0
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 October 2010, 11:38:29 »

Many people talk about changing the cam but talked to my brother regarding that and (hes a the new kind of mechanic. Plug in the computer, change the part) and he told me to really look up that the motors had the same technical specs. if I wanted to change cams, or it could go bad.

Lets compare 2.5 V6 and 3.0 24V, they both have 24V but does anything but the cam differ between them?

Sounds advice but, to put your mind at ease:

a) Many people have put 3.0 cams in a 2.5 without any problems
b) GM actually sold a 2.5 V6 with these cams (in the Vectra SuperTouring 200 IIRC)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 October 2010, 12:36:19 »

Hmm sounds to good to be true. So no need to change sensors or anything like that?
From Java

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 October 2010, 18:45:31 »

Java - no need to change anything else, just pop the 3.0l cams in. But use a torque wrench!!!

You get a better boost that the (mor expensive, normally) chip route :y

Or do both...
Grumpy old man

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 October 2010, 20:16:06 »

Like I said, bought a chip and looking for camshafts now so lets see if I'll manage to put in a new camshaft. I presume its hard as hell for someone with no talents, right?
« Last Edit: 13 October 2010, 22:53:22 by Java »
From Java

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 October 2010, 14:41:08 »

No, easily within the scope of a d.i.y orientated person.

If you are unsure or not confident enough, Darth Loo-Knee, or many others on here will happily do it for you for folding beer vouchers!!

*edit* dunno where "Lund" is, and seeing you call an estate a caravan, assume not in UK. This job is relatively easy, you must get the torque settings for the parts you need to remove, but the last ones I personally did took me about a whole day to do, from drive in to drive off. The Haynes or other manuals have a good section on pictorial assembly, so would buy one of those publications. Essentially you should have a good torque wrench, and a socket set including "torx" male and female types of sockets.
Take a deep breath, its really not that difficult.
« Last Edit: 14 October 2010, 14:45:27 by Sixstring »
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 14 October 2010, 14:49:32 »

You spotted it but yeah, I'm not sure DLK would be up for a trip to Sweden just to fit some cams ;)

(Or he might, you never know! ;D )

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 October 2010, 15:07:41 »

No, easily within the scope of a d.i.y orientated person.

If you are unsure or not confident enough, Darth Loo-Knee, or many others on here will happily do it for you for folding beer vouchers!!

*edit* dunno where "Lund" is, and seeing you call an estate a caravan, assume not in UK. This job is relatively easy, you must get the torque settings for the parts you need to remove, but the last ones I personally did took me about a whole day to do, from drive in to drive off. The Haynes or other manuals have a good section on pictorial assembly, so would buy one of those publications. Essentially you should have a good torque wrench, and a socket set including "torx" male and female types of sockets.
Take a deep breath, its really not that difficult.

Lund my friend is a city in Sweden, very close to Malmoe if that rings a bell. Well I will have to give it a try all though I won't do it myself. Hopefully will my father-in-law help me out. Thanks everyone for your great responses. I will come back when I've both chipped and fitted the new cams into the car!  :y
From Java

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 October 2010, 15:23:30 »

HaHa! yep, I know where Malmo is..........

just take your time, and I'll look forward to your posts when it is done.

Good Luck!!
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #41 on: 15 October 2010, 21:41:55 »

Nice heliport in Malmo - used to fly in there from Copenhagen and pick up a rental car :y
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 October 2010, 11:28:18 »

I'm back, right now I've taken out the box and located the chop which I want to replace. There is one small problem, it has a yellow plastic shell around itself. Should I break it of or should I be careful so I can reuse the shell?

Edit: Got it of and put the new chip on. Cant really say yet that I can notice any "lower" fuel consumption. I my world, it seems like the car goes faster and consumes more but I don't know...

Will that chip be "confused" when I've inserted the new camshaft from X30XE motor? Since the chip is designed for X25XE so to say, or?
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 13:59:40 by Java »
From Java

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 28 October 2010, 15:54:06 »

Might I add, if you want economy and not performance.

Try J cams not G cams.

I believe J are the mildest cams available for the v6 engine and are part of the standard 3.2 sri vectra C setup.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Java

• Lund
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 28 October 2010, 18:12:31 »

The point of the cams were performance but the chip said to be economic which is why i presumed that it should be cheaper, if I get more power thats fine by me :)
From Java
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.