Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD70 Headunit & CID from 08 Vectra  (Read 8958 times)

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
CD70 Headunit & CID from 08 Vectra
« on: 18 March 2011, 13:23:17 »

Is it possible to install CD70 Sat nav & colour info display from a 08 Vectra into 01 facelift Omega. Units will be put into delivery mode before removal from Vectra but is there a way of interfacing non can bus car to can bus head unit?

James.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: CD70 Headunit & CID from 08 Vectra
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2011, 13:31:04 »

none thats yet been found unfortunately.

few people have tried and initially failed  :'(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2011, 14:53:04 »

Its not been tried, it may be possible.

The drive by wire Omega petrols have a small CAN bus section around the ABS ECU/Autobox and engine ECU.

Clearly check control wont work but, speed etc should be accessable.

I know the coding and chassis number thing is not an issue (as I have ran a CD70 with CID and non matching chassis number and PIN in the mum bus for some months)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2011, 15:09:13 »

No, it won`t work. The CAN signals for the ignition supply are not present in the Omega, meaning that even if you can power the stereo up, it may shut down every 60 minutes or so, and I think the correct CAN speed pulse signal is also missing, which would make a Navigation system completely pointless.

:'(
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2011, 15:49:11 »

Thanks for the info lads. That has rained on my parade a bit but saves a lot of trial & error. Was hoping some mad electrial genius had invented an adapter from wiring of omega which included an interface pretending to be a CAN system. ::)

Will the CID work with older original Omega Sat Nav unit by any chance?

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2011, 18:22:26 »

Waiting for TheBoy to comment on his similar experiment. Time permitting. I gather even he only expects partial success. Which is a real shame.  :'(

So what needs to be on place for can bus to communicate?  Can functionality programmed into other relevant ecu's I guess?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2011, 18:38:54 »

Struggling to get it to run on the bench, not really got time to play, but now I have a double din car.....
Grumpy old man

Clarkey

• Ireland
    • 01 3.2 Auto Executive
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2011, 21:08:54 »

No, it won`t work. The CAN signals for the ignition supply are not present in the Omega, meaning that even if you can power the stereo up, it may shut down every 60 minutes or so, and I think the correct CAN speed pulse signal is also missing, which would make a Navigation system completely pointless.

Just remembered the ignition logic can be switched off in the head unit so it will not need the ignition on CAN signal. Wondering where MID gets information for trip computer. The stereo would get all its info through the CIM on a Vectra from steering wheel control to speed. As Omega's don't have one it's probably not possible as you say.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2011, 21:25:30 »

I think you need the BCM from a Vectra to get the illumination to work, and you'll possibly have to forego the fuel computer (signals aren't available in right format anywhere).

Personally, for very little gain over NCDC, I know which is the easier option ;)
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2011, 19:30:44 »

TMC on cd70?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2011, 21:42:26 »

TMC on cd70?
Is it worth the effort/cost/loss of other functionality just for that ;)
Grumpy old man

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2011, 21:55:35 »

Will the CID work with older original Omega Sat Nav unit by any chance?

The CD70 CID DOESNOT work with the NCDC units.

Also its a wide screen unit so the Omaga dash would need to be chopped

As for putting a CD70 in a car that isn't full CAN, it has been done on a MK3 Cavalier, with the addition of some Vectra C modules to make it work.

A CD70 with CID/ GID can be fitted in to a half CAN Vectra C but takes a bit of fiddling so i'm sure it would be possible in an Omega, but at the end of the day its prob easier to go aftermarket!!
« Last Edit: 21 March 2011, 21:56:02 by Phil »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2011, 21:59:46 »

Early vec-c displays are quite different to omega ones, hence my lack of success so far...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2011, 23:09:17 »

TMC on cd70?
Yes!    .....well, maybe....  no probably not.  :'(

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 March 2011, 23:13:05 »

TMC on cd70?
Yes!    .....well, maybe....  no probably not.  :'(
;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #15 on: 21 March 2011, 23:44:49 »

I don`t really see what all the fuss is about - the CD30/40/70 are all fairly standard units that are never going to set the world alight.

The Astra and Vectra forums are full of people taking them out and replacing with something better.

If you want MP3, DVD or a decent Nav, then go aftermarket - no real compatability issues and you will certainly get a better spec unit without all the grief

:-?
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 22 March 2011, 03:44:17 »

I don`t really see what all the fuss is about - the CD30/40/70 are all fairly standard units that are never going to set the world alight.

The Astra and Vectra forums are full of people taking them out and replacing with something better.

If you want MP3, DVD or a decent Nav, then go aftermarket - no real compatability issues and you will certainly get a better spec unit without all the grief

Ok Dave, which aftermarket HU, or any HU for that matter, will retain full use of the colour display sited high up in the dash in the drivers view instead of too low down by the gear knob where you can't see it nearly so well while driving?    :-?

Been down this road before, there was nothing available to retain that feature then either.  :'(

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 22 March 2011, 09:33:32 »

Ok Dave, which aftermarket HU, or any HU for that matter, will retain full use of the colour display sited high up in the dash in the drivers view instead of too low down by the gear knob where you can't see it nearly so well while driving?    :-?

Been down this road before, there was nothing available to retain that feature then either.  :'(

I`ll confess that I hadn`t taken that into account -

However, seem to recall a good few years ago when we were promoting the second generation of sat navs that we had something in one of our demo cars that did exactly that - Possibly a Blaupunkt unit running the DX-V screen via an exceptionally expensive at the time interface box that allowed all the radio info to be displayed on the screen as well. I`ll try and dig through my archives to see if I have any info as to what we had fitted -

But I take on board your point - modern head unit with remote screen? - now thats a challenge.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 22 March 2011, 13:24:38 »

Well if your taking up the gauntlet,  ;) don't forget it must work with check control, computer functions, steering wheel controls, tmc, and have all the other modern stuff of which you speak. Aux and video in of course..... AND play mission impossible while the driver where's a black romper suit and harness absailing in through the sunroof.  :D

Oh yeah, and Bose. :-X

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #19 on: 22 March 2011, 13:50:23 »

Well if your taking up the gauntlet,  ;) don't forget it must work with check control, computer functions, steering wheel controls, tmc, and have all the other modern stuff of which you speak. Aux and video in of course..... AND play mission impossible while the driver where's a black romper suit and harness absailing in through the sunroof.  :D

To be fair, even if you did get a CD70 to work, 99% of that stuff wouldn`t work with it anyway.

However, gauntlett thrown and accepted !

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 March 2011, 15:02:38 »

Dont get him going Chris.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 March 2011, 20:02:34 »

That final bit may be the undoing of the whole solution  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 22 March 2011, 22:30:24 »

That final bit may be the undoing of the whole solution  ;D
Suspect "the final bit" will be cost..... Didn't mention that bit.  :-X  :D

bigmac

• Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 March 2011, 18:21:59 »

It is possible to fit A CD70 into a non canbus car because ive seen it , Its a lot of work but not as previous members have said impossible

Car in question was a cavalier  ;) Everything worked apart from some BC functions 
« Last Edit: 23 March 2011, 18:32:18 by bigmac »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #24 on: 23 March 2011, 18:43:12 »

Its a lot of work but not as previous members have said impossible

I don`t reccall anyone saying it was impossible, just very hard work and not really worth the effort.

The Cavalier you mention also had more Vectra ECU`s fitted than I care to mention, and all that for what?

To end up with a bog standard stereo system ?

:-X
www.dndservices.co.uk

bigmac

• Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 March 2011, 19:27:56 »

I think you said it wouldn't work plus if we all had that way of thinking we would never try new things out and to call the CD70 bog standard is a bit harsh tbh its a better upgrade than the standard omega units and cavalier IMHO it may take a hell of a lot to wire in and yes you will need some modules from a vectra c but if you want to be different its a start  8-)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #26 on: 23 March 2011, 19:59:20 »

I said it wouldn`t work, I didn`t however say it was impossible.

But I stand by my comments - the CD70 is a crap stereo, and the audio processing is nothing better than the NCDCXXXX range of stereos that integrate so easily with the Omega. You want MP3 or DAB, then use a Parrot kit or Pure Highway through a modulator - thats easy, but don`t try telling me that the CD70 will work fully in the omega, it won`t, nor is it worth the hassle. And have a close look at the Cavalier you mention, I know it well, and there are more than just a few functions that don`t work correctly - All that expense of ecu`s and modules, and it still does not and will not ever work correctly.

We put a Pioneer AVIC Navigation on a shopping trolley once as a P.R. gimmick, sure it worked and even got a speed pulse from the front wheel - got us a great feature in a magazine - was it worth the effort and expense when you could clip a Tom Tom to the handlebar? Of course not.

There are easier and better ways to go.

I seem to recall that some of the older top end Alpine systems used to have a DIN sized commander module that outputted its functionality to an external monitor - the system was expensive, but probably no more so than the time and effort wasted with Vauxhall ecu`s.
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 23 March 2011, 20:45:12 »

All things are relative, it may be a crap HU if your used to dealing with top end gear day in day out. Us "normal", non business owning, hard working fellows are used, clearly, to more aged gadgets to which presumably a CD70 is a step up...?  But, only if working fully as intended other wise it's useless excess weight costing fuel.

Personally I am more than happy with Bxxx premium sound, and the dash display is one of a kind clearly. It's a cracking little system IMO. But then I have never used a modern high end unit.... so clearly am happy with lower expectations of ncdc, relatively speking.

Although TMC and some bloody in/outputs don't seem too much to ask IMO.  >:(.     ;D

So, is there no modern HU with a display output ?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #28 on: 23 March 2011, 21:24:14 »

All things are relative, it may be a crap HU if your used to dealing with top end gear day in day out. Us "normal", non business owning, hard working fellows are used, clearly, to more aged gadgets to which presumably a CD70 is a step up...?  But, only if working fully as intended other wise it's useless excess weight costing fuel.

I`m not comparing it to modern head units - I think its crap because of the sheer number that arrive here for repair, usually with the same fault of flattening the car battery by turning itself on overnight - and the fault is nothing more than poor build quality and cheap shite components inside. Same parts used in CD30 as well, that suffers also.

Well, Apart from the Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood head units that all communicate with the MID via an expensive interface, No. - but none to my knowledge will communicate with the CID though, which is what you all appear to be asking for.
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 23 March 2011, 21:55:09 »

I`m not comparing it to modern head units - I think its crap because of the sheer number that arrive here for repair, usually with the same fault of flattening the car battery by turning itself on overnight - and the fault is nothing more than poor build quality and cheap shite components inside. Same parts used in CD30 as well, that suffers also.

Well, Apart from the Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood head units that all communicate with the MID via an expensive interface, No. - but none to my knowledge will communicate with the CID though, which is what you all appear to be asking for.
CID or similar equivalent..?  :-/.

I guess at best it will have to be an aux to comparable monitor grafted in to dash somehow? So there goes check control and bc functions stright away.... Presumably?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 23 March 2011, 22:19:15 »

Getting bc to work on cd70 in omega will be a massive challenge, and probably why I won't bother
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #31 on: 23 March 2011, 22:42:33 »

Ok, lets try to work out how to solve this.

Do you retain the BC functions with the CID in place and the stereo removed?

eg - if you fitted an aftermarket stereo with iPod, DAB, DVD playback and all teh bells and whistles that you could ever want, and connected to the steering controls but DIDN`T connect to the display, would the check controls still function?

www.dndservices.co.uk

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 24 March 2011, 14:33:24 »

Yes and no!!

If refering to the CD70 OR the NCDC CID from a Vectra, without the head unit you cannot change the time or date as they don't have the buttons like the Omega does.

You can still scroll through the BC functions with the steering wheel buttons/ scroller wheels on the steering wheel with the head unit out. Assume you can do the same with stalk control on the Omega, but not having one in the Omega someone else will need to confirm

« Last Edit: 24 March 2011, 14:33:59 by Phil »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #33 on: 24 March 2011, 14:54:16 »

OK, so the problem is to find a way to add an external source, ie: MP3 to the existing head unit then, without the use of a modulator - as changing the screen is going to cause clock issues - doing this with a BOSE head unit would also be a bonus.

Thats about it? Yes? Or am I missing anything else?

I know that there are mods about to put an external input into the original CID display, so aftermarket and up to date navigations can be run via that one, and that solves the out of date mapping software issue - run an aftermarket nav via the existing screen - sorted.

The Parrot Phone kits are easily fitted without much wiring to be done, and usually have an external input on them to plug in an MP3 device - so that is another one easily sorted.

I`m happy to start doing some serious research into any other solutions, but just need to be clear what you are all actually after.

« Last Edit: 24 March 2011, 15:28:58 by Dave_DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 24 March 2011, 22:05:43 »

Ok, lets try to work out how to solve this.

eg - if you fitted an aftermarket stereo with iPod, DAB, DVD playback and all teh bells and whistles that you could ever want, and connected to the steering controls but DIDN`T connect to the display, would the check controls still function?

The Omega BC won't work without HU, due to no way to control it. The CID has no connections to the remote steering wheel, unlike Vectra CAN based implementations.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 25 March 2011, 00:44:51 »

OK, so the problem is to find a way to add an external source, ie: MP3 to the existing head unit then, without the use of a modulator - as changing the screen is going to cause clock issues - doing this with a BOSE head unit would also be a bonus.

Thats about it? Yes? Or am I missing anything else?

I know that there are mods about to put an external input into the original CID display, so aftermarket and up to date navigations can be run via that one, and that solves the out of date mapping software issue - run an aftermarket nav via the existing screen - sorted.

The Parrot Phone kits are easily fitted without much wiring to be done, and usually have an external input on them to plug in an MP3 device - so that is another one easily sorted.

I`m happy to start doing some serious research into any other solutions, but just need to be clear what you are all actually after.

That's about it, hence all requests on here to input iPod, tv/video, etc etc. Michael Grosser (?) from one of the German forums has had video input mods to CID for a while (alot of work), and an aux in to the cd section of the head unit via the ribbon(?) connector between the two units within the double din.(not very professional apparently, but there's nout else)

I guess it's an input to the head unit issue...? Of which there are none as we all know, apart from mono phone.

If GM had continued the omega these things would have been added/developed in as normal.

The only oe addition is to add a telematics, hence the differance between 2013 and 2015 etc also as we all know.

So as said, a way to input the oe unit seems the only way as it's as good as bespoke to the omega.... Afaik anyway.  :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #36 on: 25 March 2011, 00:51:41 »

Sure you've seen this? Info within, In German though. Google translate is not quite good enough.

http://www.migrosser.de.vu/

Although the site seems to have changed since last viewed and having loading issues here.  :(
« Last Edit: 25 March 2011, 00:57:57 by chrisgixer »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #37 on: 25 March 2011, 09:33:15 »

Sure you've seen this? Info within, In German though. Google translate is not quite good enough.

http://www.migrosser.de.vu/

Although the site seems to have changed since last viewed and having loading issues here.  :(

Be carefull, that link has become pop-up hell !!

:(
« Last Edit: 25 March 2011, 09:33:40 by Dave_DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #38 on: 25 March 2011, 09:40:24 »

Has anyone played around with the Autoleads iO system at all?

Not experienced it myself yet, but essentially plugs in line with the ISO connectors, has its own built in amp, and a variety of stereo inputs available from streaming bluetooth to plug in 3.5mm -  as it plugs inline, it can shut off the head unit audio and use its own powered amp to play through the existing speakers - control box looks nothing more than a basic rotary knob style phone connector - and may even be suitable for BOSE if the volume increments are small enough ?

Not tried one yet, and little info on the net about them that I can find - may be a contender though unless someone can tell me different? If no one has tried one, I`ll order one up and have a play.

:-/
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #39 on: 26 March 2011, 08:26:47 »

Don't suppose iPhone mp3 player can be made to work via steering wheel controls and display song titles on CID ? (well if you don't ask) I guess some sort of CD input would be needed?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #40 on: 26 March 2011, 08:51:24 »

Don't suppose iPhone mp3 player can be made to work via steering wheel controls and display song titles on CID ? (well if you don't ask) I guess some sort of CD input would be needed?

Never going to happen - technology inside the head unit to support that just isn`t there.

The Connects2 iPod FM modulator claims to display tracks on the screen though, although not tried it in the Omega and remain unconvinced about its performance.

www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 26 March 2011, 10:43:52 »

Nothing 3rd party will ever talk to CID chrisgixer. Accept that and move on ;)

Should be relatively easy to do away with (most - need to keep can in place, and fool some sensors) of the cd changer, and feed the audio in through that - would need a bit of tweaking around the electronics and some matching. Wouldn't display on CID though. Also, not sure what the HU and/or CD board would think when its been playing for 99 mins. Not worth the effort imho, become heterosexual again, and leave he gayPod at home...
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 26 March 2011, 17:49:20 »

If you really want to keep some sort of board computer why not get a standard VX single DIN head unit and fit that in the glovebox single din slot that used to have the telematics in it then mount a helf height MID/TID up in the sunroof panel.

Saw something similar on an Astra and it freed up the headunit and display screen space.  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 27 March 2011, 00:22:52 »

Was aware it was something of a "moon on a stick" request tbh.  ;D ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.