Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSE questions - I don't think these have been answered yet?  (Read 5065 times)

SUPASTU

• Midlands
    • View Profile

Hi,

I have looked around this forum but I don't think my questions have been answered yet - please forgive me if I am wrong!

Has the issue of plugging an aftermarket HU with low voltage pre-outs into the BOSE amp/speaker setup been sorted yet?  I have seen various threads on Audi forums where adapters can be purchased to feed pre-outs into the existing wiring has anything been done for the Vauxhall system?

If not, can the speaker feeds from the BOSE amp be channelled into the high-level inputs of a different amp, which could then be used to drive replacement speakers and a better sub option?  I accept that these feeds will have had their frequency ranges doctored by the amp, but I'm assuming BOSE did a good job with their choice of curves?

Stu

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: BOSE questions - I don't think these have been answered yet?
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2011, 14:13:07 »

If your going for an aftermarket HU you will have to ditch the Bose amp and speakers and either fit new 4 Ohm speakers or new 4 Ohm Speakers and a new amp.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2011, 14:47:51 »

I think Question 7 on this link should be made into a sticky

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/automotive-systems/f-a-q/?xforce-bypass-dd=1

Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Michael2.6

• Intermediate Member
  • Bishop Auckland
    • Vauxhall Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2011, 15:01:37 »

cant understand why you want to get rid of the bose sound system

bose is the best

bose system fitted to mercs and BMWs

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2011, 15:44:27 »

bose is the best

Because unlike the modern BOSE systems fitted to later vehicles, the Omega version was designed and built nearly 20 years ago using paper cone speakers, and whilst a fairly good system in its day, it has been vastly overtaken by modern speaker technology.

Move on.

BTW - never seen BOSE in a Merc or BMW ?
Could be wrong, but I thought they usually use Harmon or Mark levinson as their preferred audio upgrade.
www.dndservices.co.uk

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2011, 15:55:19 »

Never seen Bose in a Merc either, Audi use them though....

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2011, 16:09:20 »

Never seen Bose in a Merc either, Audi use them though....

As do Porsche and Honda
www.dndservices.co.uk

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2011, 16:15:38 »

bose is the best

While bose is ok, when compared to the dynaudio setup in Volvos' is when you realise that Bose is quite a few steps behind in sound quality.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

SUPASTU

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2011, 17:01:20 »

Thanks for the replies shame about the HU issue.

What about connecting the speaker feed from the BOSE amp into the high level inputs of a superior amp and using that to drive replacement speakers?

BOSE did do Mercedes - I owned a E class (1999 W210) with standard Mercedes stereo but sourced from the states a BOSE sub for this model.

See this link for Mercedes models:
http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/automotive-systems/automotive-systems/previous-models/mercedes-benz.jsp

My intention was to install it because it was designed to take no space up in the boot, replace the driver and power with a mono amp but because of shipping issues I never got it!!!

A work colleague owns a 2011 Mazda MX5 with Bose and its very good.

My plan (was) to source a high spec Omega estate with Bose and use Alpine up front (my preferred make for many years) and have the HU filter everything under 80htz from going into the BOSE setup, and then install a bigger sub run directly from the HU to deal with 80htz and below (or thereabouts). Just an idea now it seems.

Do any of the Omega BOSE head units run a CD autochanger?  In which case would the xcar link be suitable for getting an ipod to run direct through the HU?

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

Thanks for the advice.

Stu

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2011, 17:47:09 »

Neither Xcarlink, Connects2, Autoleads, Dension, Soundlinx, IQ, Maystar (nor any other manufacturer to my knowledge) have a solution for the Omega, and its unlikely that any manufacturer would invest any time or research into such an old car nowadays.

SUPASTU,

Please read the previous threads on this forum about mixing and matching BOSE stuff, virtually everything has been tries and virtually everything has failed, it is well documented and I must confess to be getting really tired of seeing and answering the same old questions now.

Anything BOSE and anything aftermarket in the Omega simply DO NOT MIX.

Changing any component within the Omega BOSE setup, whether it be the head unit, amp, speakers or wiring, will require THE ENTIRE SYSTEM to be changed, and that will include the head unit, amp, speakers and the wiring.

Now can we pleeeeeeeease move on ?

BTW - the BOSE sub in the USA Merc was a "bit of a hybrid" and was no means a full BOSE system like the Omega or other marques. As I recall, it was also such a poor performer that it was not taken up by the European market, who went in a different direction.
www.dndservices.co.uk

SUPASTU

• Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2011, 19:45:33 »

I must confess to be getting really tired of seeing and answering the same old questions now.

Thanks for all the replies and the advice.

Dave - simple solution if your fed up of newbies asking 'old' questions is don't bother to respond if you find it tiresome and just ignore the thread.  Thanks for the warm welcome.

Stu

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2011, 10:52:04 »

Dave - simple solution if your fed up of newbies asking 'old' questions is don't bother to respond if you find it tiresome and just ignore the thread.

Amazing, 5th post by a newbie telling me(!) to ignore a thread about car audio !!

Stu - welcome to the forum, no, I really do mean that - and I look forward to some banter over the years.

But, your opening line of "BOSE questions - I don't think these have been answered yet?" followed by "I have looked around this forum" does suggest to me that you have not spent much time at all looking. I cant think of any aspect of BOSE connectivity, replacement or upgrade that has not been discussed to death here - you just need to look a little harder.

The forum would be a very dull and boring place if the questions being asked every day were exactly the same, and if that were the case, then people would stop using it.

I will continue to answer questions on car audio, thats why I am on here, its not for the love of the Omega, I`m here to assist those with car audio problems. But like all of the other experts in their own field on this forum, you will get far more help from them if you ask questions that have not already been answered so many times previously in recent posts. If we took your suggestion and simply ignored to respond to questions, then the forum woudl be full of people who needed help and received none.

No, this forum works very well the way it is, and I hope that you join in with us, and whatever your own chosen field of expertese is, that you can also share this knowledge with the other members.

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2011, 11:02:12 »

Just to confirm what VXL V6 and Dave DND has said, if you want a different HU in your Bose equipped car, you have to remove all the Bose stuff - HU, Amp, speakers etc.

You should be able to reuse the wiring for modest amps.

In addition, the only ways to get iPod audio into a Bose'd Omega is cassette adapters or FM adapters.  No CDC emulators available.

Hope that helps.
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2011, 13:48:14 »

Would it help if I wrote a quick guide to BOSE to add to the FAQ pages, a bit like the CDR ones I did a while ago?

???
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2011, 13:53:49 »

Would it help if I wrote a quick guide to BOSE to add to the FAQ pages, a bit like the CDR ones I did a while ago?

???
I've done a quick and dirty sticky in this section, feel free to suggest additions/corrections :y
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.