Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the small wire connector for on battery negative terminal and plastic bl  (Read 2287 times)

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile

Hi there,

I am trying to help somebody with a battery issue on a 2016 Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo.

On looking in the engine bay, I note there is a small plastic module with a small sensor/monitor wire plugged into it.  Lead disappears into the loom.  Main battery negative is then bolted to body just by the battery.

Does anyone know what the small module and wire is on the battery wire at the negative terminal end, and what the little wire plugged in is monitoring ?

I am curious. If Google part number 1K0915181H then that shows a picture  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile

Guessing it's just a moulding to cover were the cable joins the terminal, so you don't see two screws clampi,ng the cable,
Or it has a choke in there??
Hoof'land storeman.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

It's the small plug that is plugged in there "Sensing" something on the terminal which is odd :-\

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

If the vehicle has Stop/Start function, it could be the battery voltage monitor. This monitors the battery condition so that if the voltage drops too low it switches off the Stop/Start function to keep the vehicle running.
On my Beemer it has an additional box/terminal in-line on the battery lead. This relies on crash sensors though, as in the event of a serious collision this terminal blows apart to disconnect the battery to hopefully prevent the occupants from getting fried. This terminal has a lightening strike symbol on though.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

That would tally - it does have Stop Start.

They keep getting "Low Voltage" regularly now as a warning, and after charging the battery with a separate charger standing voltage this morning was 12.3, and when opened door just he lights and other clicking or electronics I could hear under the bonnet was enough to drag it to 12.00.  I think battery if goosed.  I checked also with engine running, and pushes it up to over 14V so its definately charging.

Cheers for solving what the connectors is.

INterestingly, if press an hold the Odometer Trip you can get a "SOC Battery Status" idicator appear on the dash, bit it was reporting a status of "--" which aint good !  However, I can't see in the book any mention of the the Battery Status feature (as I found the trick in the Octavia book) as car in question is a Fabia, so wonder if the feature is there, and accessable if press the right button, its just it has not been enabled in the Fabia model ? 

Will see how it goes, if starts complaining again of low battery, then new Battery is going on.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile

I just came across an eBay advert for the part number that you supplied.
It says:

"Original connection cable for the negative pole of the battery

with sensor for battery charge status

for vehicles with start-stop operation"

:y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

:y :y  Mystery solved  :y :y

Thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Run through Kevin's excellent starting/charging guide before condemning battery or alternator. ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

Its not a voltage sensor at all, you can do that reasonably reliably at many points in the vehicle.

Its a charge current sensor, it allows monitoring of the charge/discharge of the battery which, in turn, allows an estimation of battery capacity and life.

Its also used, on some setups, to allow controlled charging such that under braking the charge current is raised to maximum as a form of energy recovery/regenerative braking

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Its not a voltage sensor at all, you can do that reasonably reliably at many points in the vehicle.

Its a charge current sensor, it allows monitoring of the charge/discharge of the battery which, in turn, allows an estimation of battery capacity and life.

Its also used, on some setups, to allow controlled charging such that under braking the charge current is raised to maximum as a form of energy recovery/regenerative braking

Interesting - I had suspected that but wasn't sure. :y 

So with the SOC reading on the dash (when press and hold the trip zero in) giving a value of "--" would that suggest the sensor is goosed ? any maybe why battery seems to be depleted as it's interfering with the charging ?  Not sure as mentioned if the SOF facility is enabled anyhow as I got the trick from an Octavia and different model all togetgher (which does mention it in that manual, but one for the Fabia and this car not mention the facility  ;D

A good charge of the battery with a separate charger however resulted in a standing voltage when taken off charge 24hrs later of only 12.3 V, and dropped to 12.0 in a few seconds when door opened.  It had settled to a trickle charge at 12.6 V before taking off and dropping pretty quickly to 12.3  :(

Battery I think is not at its best - 4 years old and an EFB type battery, so would have hoped for more.

Will see how it develops  :o

Cheers again all.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Sounds like the battery is either not fully charged or in poor condition.

Could be that the car expects to see an AGM battery and doesn't like the characteristics of the EFB one.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Could be that the car expects to see an AGM battery and doesn't like the characteristics of the EFB one.

Father-in-Law has had the car from 4 months old, and it's not been changed, unless they fitted the EFB at the Factory and it should be a AGM one :D :D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile

If it charged to only 12.3V and then dropped to 12V on door opening, the battery is shot

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • View Profile

Thanks to all for help.  A new battery has now been fitted with a better quality one which was on there.

Will see how things progress.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.