Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Water Temperature Sender Unit  (Read 2443 times)

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
Omega Water Temperature Sender Unit
« on: 04 December 2016, 22:57:18 »

Hi Guys

First off, I’m talking about a year 2000 Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD, in other words the one with the 6 cylinder BMW lump in it.

I’m having some trouble with the water temperature gauge, the indicator needle hardly moves and that’s after about 30 miles of driving, the car heater is working fine.
I’m assuming the fact the needle does move but only very slightly the fault must be the sender unit(s).

Questions:

Is there only one sender unit for the water temperature gauge?

Where does it (they) live, I’m guessing under the darn inlet manifold?

Does anyone know the part number for them or better still where I can buy one, other than the main agents that is?

Thanks for your help

Clive

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Water Temperature Sender Unit
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2016, 23:09:57 »

Obviously could be stat as well.

2 temp senders, one for ecru and one for gauge. Both in head under the inlet manifold
Grumpy old man

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2016, 12:47:41 »

Hello TheBoy

Thanks for your quick reply, sods law under the the inlet manifold and I bet there's no chance of getting at them unless I take the manifold off?
I'm guessing you don't know off hand where I can buy both of the senders from??

Do you know which one is for the gauge although if replacement involves getting the manifold off maybe it would be prudent to renew both??

Thanks again for your help

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2016, 12:53:33 »

Do you know which one is for the gauge  ....

Don't know specifically for the diseasal, but on the V6s, the gauge has just one (drawing pin looking) connector on top, the ECU uses a two pin plug

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2016, 20:54:59 »

Hi Andy

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I have got a manual, well its on disk I bought it off ebay some time ago, only trouble is it says refer to operation sheets for some of the dismantling and unfortunately the disk doesn't come with any sheets show on it , so its only part of a manual.

I've also got Haynes manual because it does cover some of the parts common to diesel and petrol but its mainly body parts that are similar, I guess I was hoping someone on the forum had already done the exact thing I need to do, but thanks again for your reply. 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2016, 21:10:30 »

The same engine was used in the P38 Range Rover. I suggest you download this manual for future reference.

Re: Temperature sensor location
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2016, 22:23:06 »

The manifold comes off fairly easily, its just a question of patience. I did have difficulty the last time I had mine off to replace the glo-plugs - which you may consider replacing while it is removed - as the rearmost stud had come slightly out of its stud hole in the head meaning the manifold could not clear the bulkhead, fixed eventually by brute force and then refitted a shorter stud to prevent recurrence. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2016, 08:21:04 »

On the TD, it's not uncommon for the wiring to fail under the boot over the plug.

No real chance of doing without manifold coming off - but that's a 10 minute job.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2016, 12:44:09 »

On the TD, it's not uncommon for the wiring to fail under the boot over the plug.

No real chance of doing without manifold coming off - but that's a 10 minute job.

Ignore him, it will take at least 40 minutes working methodically. If done carefully, you may be able to re-use the gaskets, although I always have new ones to hand just in case. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 December 2016, 18:48:31 »

Ignore him, it will take at least 40 minutes working methodically. If done carefully, you may be able to re-use the gaskets, although I always have new ones to hand just in case. :y
Clearly I've done it far too often ;D

I got glow plugs down to under an hour on these
Grumpy old man

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08 December 2016, 13:21:29 »

Hi Fellas

Andy H, thanks for the tip about the manual I’ll have a look around for a download, the disk I bought some time ago for the Omega isn't up to much.

Shackeng
I’ve done the glow plugs in June this year 2016, I’m inclined to go along with how long you said it takes to get the manifold off and with regards to the nuts which are nearest the bulkhead, I usually slacken all the nuts off first then either shove a short piece of garden hose onto them so it fits tightly so I don’t drop them when unscrewing them the rest of the way off or pad the socket out with masking tape.

The first time I did the job didn’t I manage to drop a nut and sods law it lodged somewhere in the engine and took an age to find, when your looking into a mass of engine it’s not easy to see them.
Coming back to TheBoy’s time of doing it, maybe it’s me getting old but it would take me 10 minutes just to get the tool box out and sort out what was needed for the job, TheBoy your hands must be a blur when doing it ;D ;D.

My experience of getting the manifold off is it’s real back breaking to get at the nuts at the bulkhead end and when I’ve got them all off it’s then a swine of a job trying to lift the manifold off the studs without it fouling the bulkhead.
Anyway, I had a gut feeling the water temperature sender unit would be under the darn manifold.
Andy H said the engine is the same as the P38, I remember now I used the same gaskets which are used on the P38.

Does anyone know if the water sender unit is the same as the P38 being as they are the same engine, I don’t want to stick the wrong one in! what a pain that would be having to do the job all over again.
I'm guessing there wouldn't be much point in contacting anyone selling P38 parts to confirm if the sender was the same because there are usually none committal that's why I try and find out on the forum from  someone that's already been there if you get my drift.

Thanks again chaps for your advice. 

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 December 2016, 14:32:16 »

Hi Fellas

Andy H, thanks for the tip about the manual I’ll have a look around for a download, the disk I bought some time ago for the Omega isn't up to much.

You should be able to download the manual using the link I posted.

If you want to be sure about the sensor then buy one from a Vauxhall dealer.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 December 2016, 22:59:06 »

Andy

Many thanks for the manual link that will come in real useful as I don't think I'll be getting rid of the car any time soon and it certainly beats what I have on DVD.
I think I'll give the main agents a call and see how much they are charging for the sender and of course a new seal, I'm hoping it shouldn't be too expensive.

If I do buy the part from them I'll get back on here with the part number and price, it may come in useful for anyone else who has the same problem, mind you once I've got down to the sensor I'll check the wiring first as already been suggested.

Thanks again 

Clive

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2016, 11:51:04 »

Sensors are robust-ish.

Rip the manifold off and check wiring before spending money.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.