Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15380 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #75 on: 21 August 2020, 21:48:02 »

What would YOU have done if you were driving to Hull instead and had moved to the right to pass the slower vehicle up the off ramp only to find yourself blocked from your exit?

Sucked it up & gone to the next junction or do as he eventually did & braked to go behind
Exactly :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 21 August 2020, 21:59:20 »

Returning home on the M1 southbound and close to joining the M62, I'm doing 55mph in cruise, as I have been for a number of miles before hand, 2 lanes bear left, I'm in the nearside lane, I'd seen a HGV (some kind of rigid tipper wagon) behind me pull out as we'd approached the turn off. As he was alongside me I was aware he was indicating left but assumed he was indicating from bearing left  :-\ ..... next thing he sounded his horn  ???  ???
He wanted me to slow down to allow him to pass me to take the next junction that we were almost at! He was the one that had JUST pulled out to overtake me. I just carried on at my set 55 mph while he braked to pull in behind me with much horn blaring!!
Tosser!
Effectively, your reaction to seeing him indicate and sound his horn was to carry on regardless. That's something that you may want to look at :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 21 August 2020, 22:13:38 »

Effectively, your reaction to seeing him indicate and sound his horn was to carry on regardless. That's something that you may want to look at :D

when he was already alongside me, just what would you have expected me to do? Slam on with almost 2 tonne on the towbar? His junction was all but on the other side of me

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 21 August 2020, 22:35:15 »

Now it transpires that you were towing... a prod of the throttle may have been a moot point then  :-\

Someone else made a misjudgement and you carried on with your day... Meanwhile, in other news :D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 21 August 2020, 22:38:52 »

Now it transpires that you were towing... a prod of the throttle may have been a moot point then  :-\

Someone else made a misjudgement and you carried on with your day... Meanwhile, in other news :D

May I direct the honourable gentleman to posts number #11, #12 and #15 ... :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 21 August 2020, 22:44:48 »

I read those posts as written, not once did Andy say " I was towing my caravan when a nasty tipper driver tooted at me because he was in the wrong lane..." ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 21 August 2020, 22:47:42 »

I read those posts as written, not once did Andy say " I was towing my caravan when a nasty tipper driver tooted at me because he was in the wrong lane..." ;)

post #12 ...

"I used to tow at more like 60 (plus  ::)) with my previous caravan, but this one is the best part of 2 tonne, attached to the car by a teeny 50mm ball ..... I'm happier at 55"

Others, including myself,  picked up straight away that he was towing ...... perhaps you speak a different form of the English Language ?????   :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 21 August 2020, 22:54:22 »

:P Johnnydog brought up caravans, so I overlooked it as a typical OOF tangent :D

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 21 August 2020, 23:03:17 »

What a fascinating thread.  :)

So, I'm driving along minding my own business when a truck swings out for an overtake that he's clearly going to struggle with, especially as he knows that he's going to need to turn left in about a quarter of a mile.  ::)
He can't get past me due to the gradient in the road so tries to intimidate me into getting out of his way. And this is my fault because..........  ::)

Well apparently it's my fault because I'm doing 55mph, which as we all know is just below a trucks 'zone'. So if we know it's a trucks 'zone' I'd assume the truck driver knew that as well, which makes his move even more idiotic.
A lot of the replies have got to be a wind-up surely. And yes, I assumed Andy had a van on the back as I can't see him setting his cruise to 55mph when flying solo on a motorway.  ;)

As I said fascinating thread.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 21 August 2020, 23:07:03 »

So, I'm driving along minding my own business when a truck swings out for an overtake that he's clearly going to struggle with, especially as he knows that he's going to need to turn left in about a quarter of a mile.  ::)
He can't get past me due to the gradient in the road so tries to intimidate me into getting out of his way. And this is my fault because..........  ::)

Well apparently it's my fault because I'm doing 55mph, which as we all know is just below a trucks 'zone'. So if we know it's a trucks 'zone' I'd assume the truck driver knew that as well, which makes his move even more idiotic.
A lot of the replies have got to be a wind-up surely. And yes, I assumed Andy had a van on the back as I can't see him setting his cruise to 55mph when flying solo on a motorway.  ;)

One would hope that posts #49 & #69 are a wind up .......  but I have my doubts ...  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 21 August 2020, 23:13:54 »

Nobody is disputing that the tipper driver was completely at fault :D

Towing or not, sitting at 55 is asking to get caught up with trucks, which is the one thing that most people are uncomfortable with on motorways, which is why most of us choose to drive slightly (ahem) faster ;)
« Last Edit: 21 August 2020, 23:20:32 by Doctor Gollum »

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 22 August 2020, 00:55:54 »

Agree with the Doc here, a few mph doesn’t mean much to and fro for lighter vehicles, but HGV stuff takes longer for both especially if fully laden, and I would add it is a work for them, I.E a job, and I think that is how and why these Professional drivers can get annoyed, if they can go at the speed allowed then why can’t the smaller stuff and non professional folk keep up? Everybody is allowed to go a bit slower than allowed if in the correct lane and of course if 55mph indicated is that speed, then fair enough, but as said that is under the speed that these HGV drivers are earning their living at (key workers even maybe?) Mind you it’s swings and roundabouts, as many a time we’re kept behind waiting for some off these fks to get around someone. Not taking sides but if somebody wants or is able to go faster than me and makes a show of it, I would let them go, however it hasn’t happened yet..... :P

Laying a rubber road.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 22 August 2020, 09:01:12 »

Nobody is disputing that the tipper driver was completely at fault :D

Towing or not, sitting at 55 is asking to get caught up with trucks, which is the one thing that most people are uncomfortable with on motorways, which is why most of us choose to drive slightly (ahem) faster ;)
[/quote[/highlight]]

The Tipper in the video going downhill,  he's just getting on.

The Tipper driver that started this thread I would expect no less, from tippers,  going for the overtake 200yrds before exit, going up outside or inside and pushing in, just generally bad driving.

If you don't want to be near big smelly lorries then as DG said, don't sit at 54-55mph, sit at 60mph, 

Also remember, The truck is working, not bumbling along on Holiday,  Your average motorist might think that it's only a minute here a minute there, but drivers have limited hours so those minutes add up, , 
Hoof'land storeman.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 22 August 2020, 09:34:18 »

Agree with the Doc here, a few mph doesn’t mean much to and fro for lighter vehicles, but HGV stuff takes longer .....

But the original post was in regard to a wagon pulling out to attempt an overtake when he knew he would be turning left immediately after the overtake. That should be the end of the story but people have become fixated on the speed, which should be irrelevant. Would people have the same view if Andy had been driving a truck. After all, biggriffin has already said that some trucks are restricted to 54mph, so should they lift that restriction to avoid annoying truckers that can do 56mph.  :-\  This is not aimed at you personally Rae, your post is just a convenient one to reply to.  :y

And for what it's worth, I towed large family caravans for over twenty five years, and I did travel at just above the trucks governed speed to keep out of their way but, and it's a big but, 55mph is a more comfortable/safer speed to tow at. I used to flout this regularly until my 'M5 motorway incident' but after that I cogged it back a bit.  :)
Just a few mph more can make a difference.  :y

We're never going to all agree on this but from what I'm reading, a truck drivers time sheet is worked out at the absolute 'limit' of the vehicle, which just can't be logical.  :-\
Anyway, I don't tow anymore so you truckers and caravanners are ALL in my way.  ;D  As for Nigel's 3rd lane truck, a bit disappointing not to hear a YEEE HAAA as it went by.  ;D

My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 22 August 2020, 09:48:15 »

;D

One might also ask, now more information has come to light :D, why Andy was doing 55 into a 50... :P

But I digress, the tipper driver was being true to form, and is a very naughty boy ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.