Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drivers lock saga  (Read 3737 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Drivers lock saga
« on: 14 February 2019, 16:57:55 »

I am having problems with the drivers lock in that when I unlock with the remote the button stays down all others are ok.I lift the button manually and then it will operate perfectly several times with no problem.I leave the car some time and once again the button stays down. I have tried to lubricate via the latch, one bolt removed but no better.Any ideas.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Drivers lock saga
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2019, 17:09:56 »

I am having problems with the drivers lock in that when I unlock with the remote the button stays down all others are ok.I lift the button manually and then it will operate perfectly several times with no problem.I leave the car some time and once again the button stays down. I have tried to lubricate via the latch, one bolt removed but no better.Any ideas.

I would say your drivers door lock solenoid has failed and will need replacement Ron. ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2019, 17:16:03 »

Yes classic solenoid failure as LZ has advised.

No amount of lubricant etc will fix..time for replacement or if nifty with soldering iron fit new micro switches.

All covered in Guides

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2019, 17:51:57 »

I have just recently fitted a refurbished solenoid why does it operate ok several times after I have pulled the button up manually?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2019, 18:33:07 »

broken wire in the door shut loom or poor contact on the door multi-plug  :-\
(would be consistent with intermittent fault)  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2019, 18:35:41 »

broken wire in the door shut loom or poor contact on the door multi-plug  :-\
(would be consistent with intermittent fault)  :y

.............and a failing solenoid.  I have had the very same in the past, and the only answer is to replace with new. ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2019, 21:48:12 »

Is this the central locking failure you had recently. which you and DG overcame by a secret trick? After which you presumably replaced the solenoid and lock assembly.
Try removing the plastic cap on the driver's door locking lever. It may work then. If it does you will have located he fault.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 February 2019, 07:04:27 »

Yes Terry that's the one and a refurbished motor fitted. Do you mean the black cover on the lever that attaches to the motor? I just cant understand why it works ok for a while and then stops working until I lift the button and then works again but not for long.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2019, 09:11:46 »

Yes Terry that's the one and a refurbished motor fitted. Do you mean the black cover on the lever that attaches to the motor? I just cant understand why it works ok for a while and then stops working until I lift the button and then works again but not for long.
I mean the plastic piece attached to the locking rod with a plastic insert. On the Omega here it is grey, trim colour. I have found in the past it can be stiff enough in the slide to resist being pushed fully up, but if missing the rod will come up. The locking insert may be the problem.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 February 2019, 10:31:33 »

I mean the plastic piece attached to the locking rod with a plastic insert. On the Omega here it is grey, trim colour. I have found in the past it can be stiff enough in the slide to resist being pushed fully up, but if missing the rod will come up. The locking insert may be the problem.
The inset is there for a reason... Namely to secure the rod. If it's sticking then remove, clean, lubricate and refit.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 February 2019, 15:32:48 »

I may be stupid but are your speaking about the knob that protrudes at the top of the door card with a red insert indicating door locked or unlocked.There is plenty of space for movement here.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 February 2019, 16:09:52 »

I may be stupid but are your speaking about the knob that protrudes at the top of the door card with a red insert indicating door locked or unlocked.There is plenty of space for movement here.
Yup.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2019, 18:20:05 »

Although i agree that this sounds like a classic door solenoid faliure....The solenoid Being fitted by ron is one which had a new microswitch fitted by me, done as per kevin woods guide and ive done a few of these now for members on here and had nil fail till now.

The only thing i can think is if you cannot find any other fault..IE  door loom...Then get the one you removed from the car and get it posted to me.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 February 2019, 19:29:12 »

Although i agree that this sounds like a classic door solenoid faliure....The solenoid Being fitted by ron is one which had a new microswitch fitted by me, done as per kevin woods guide and ive done a few of these now for members on here and had nil fail till now.

The only thing i can think is if you cannot find any other fault..IE  door loom...Then get the one you removed from the car and get it posted to me.
Did you replace BOTH switches :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 February 2019, 20:45:13 »

Did you replace BOTH switches :-\
No Al i never...Just the one,That is what ive always done,even on my own cars and never had a problem,Ive even stripped the old switches down and seen that in time they burn like a set of old contact breakers/Points over time,But his fault does sound like a solenoid problem.....

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2019, 13:49:15 »

It appears that this problem is now solved Steve B has been very helpful rebuilding my faulty solenoid and then sending me another when it appeared that the repaired one was not functioning, wrong  diagnosis on my part, staying with the repaired solenoid and lubricating the lock via the button opening and the catch mechanism the system is now OK .

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2019, 16:29:59 »

It appears that this problem is now solved Steve B has been very helpful rebuilding my faulty solenoid and then sending me another when it appeared that the repaired one was not functioning, wrong  diagnosis on my part, staying with the repaired solenoid and lubricating the lock via the button opening and the catch mechanism the system is now OK .
Glad it's sorted now. Did you spray oil down the lock button hole and into the lock from the side to cure it?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2019, 16:41:24 »

Yes I did that and I also took a bolt out of the lock retaining area and sprayed though the orifice I used Ambersil 40 plus as suggested in this thread.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2019, 18:03:53 »

Just seen this, Glad your sorted Ron  :y

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2019, 20:43:01 »

Has anybody found an uprated micro switch for these that fit or are more reliable?

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2019, 20:56:52 »

Has anybody found an uprated micro switch for these that fit or are more reliable?
They break owing to arcing on the switch contacts,

But it may of taken many years before it packed up,so with a new switch fitted inside the solenoid,i should think you should get a minimum of another 5yrs out of that switch.

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 March 2019, 11:25:05 »

Mine only seem to last a couple of years, easy enough to change but a nuisance none the less.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 March 2019, 21:35:25 »

Interesting demonstration that a stiff lock can cause intermittent failure of the central locking system.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.