Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My Omega is running a temperature of 97Thermostat?  (Read 1546 times)

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
My Omega is running a temperature of 97Thermostat?
« on: 20 August 2007, 20:08:46 »

Hi...  My Omegaa is running at a temperature of between 95 and 97, fans are constantly on.   I've flushed the system out twice now with cold water until I see clear coming through.   I've yet to try this Forte coolent flush, which is my next step.

After this and assuming no cure, can someone tell  me how easy and how long would it take me to get the thermostat off.   Are there any how to's?

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: My Omega is running a temperature of 97Thermos
« Reply #1 on: 20 August 2007, 20:26:40 »

Mine runs at around this temperature.  However, the cooling fans are not constantly on, rather they cut in and out (all be it fairly regularly).  A long while ago, there was a thread about running temperature of people's cars and it seems that quite a few run at these sort of temperatures.  However, some people report that they run at around 92.

I have just left mine as it is TBH.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 20 August 2007, 20:55:31 »

Mine was running high before thermostat change.

As a measure here outside temperatures are changing between 38-43 ...My engine temperature unless very heavy start stop traffic runs 94-95 region..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 August 2007, 22:11:18 »

Stat in V between cylinders.  Not the most convenient place.
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 August 2007, 23:18:16 »

Would the best time to replace the stat be when doing cambelt and waterpump??

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2007, 08:33:59 »

I've just posted on another related thread with regards to flushing.. It's advisable to flush and reverse flush the radiator seperately, as the crud when losened blocks the tiny veins in the rad...  restricting cooling... had to have a new rad on mine £100 ish (Applied Radiators on the net)  I would also agree that your water pump could also be a culprit here too..  especially if you don't know the history.  Mine runs around 93 nearly all the time now... :)

DC
Do it right, do it once................

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2007, 17:57:34 »

Changing the thermostat sounds great fun  ;D.   I'll have to wait and see how the Forte Coolent Flush works first.    I had my cam belt changed by the VX dealer 2 years ago, I did ask the water pump be changed the same time, how do I test a water pump?    I'm about 10K off the next belt change and I guess if the thermostat needs changing I might as well do it all (water pump, thermostat cam belt).

The last time I changed a cambelt was on my old 1.6 cav. this was dead easy.   When is the next cambelt party, I know you guys do these, I got the DVD and this makes the change look simple, but I'd like to see things done real time first if you know what I mean.

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2007, 12:50:02 »

Saturday Update..

Right I've added the Forte Cooling Flush... Instructions say  bring to operating temp and leave runing for 20 30 minutes with heater on... after drain and flush well... My qerey is; on coolent changes you always start from cold... so do I flush out with hot water as the engine is up to temp, or leave to cool down then flush from cold with cold water?

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2007, 13:12:02 »

I brought mine up to temp as per instructions (also took it for a wee run, to ensure all was circulated properly) then allowed it to cool for a coffee cup length, then carefully opened the expansion tank cap and then the drain.

I put the garden hose into the header tank and balanced the hose input with the drain output so it cooled the block slowly, if you follow.  Had the engine running at tickover at the same time.  Once the water was running clear, took out the radiator and flushed/reverse flushed any and every hose and pipe that was exposed.

The soddin' thing still runs warmer than I would like but the waterpump is a little suspect as it has too much free play.  You can see it running in and out of true when you look at the aux belt turning it.

HtH

B  

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2007, 21:01:36 »

if it is running a temp of 97 then calpol might be worthwhile  ;D

Sorry couldn't resist the quick joke....

Mine used to run this hot, stat change, flush and a 50/50 anti freeze mix has helped it back to between 85 and 90, although i find the fans are on a lot still

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2007, 21:43:17 »

If the flush doesn't the work , then Calpol may not be a bad idea... ;D... Got a horrible feeling I'm gonna have to change the stat though ... just don't like the thought of having to do it......

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 August 2007, 20:46:12 »

Hoooooray the Forte Coolent Flush has worked, I did exactley what hotel21 said and the result is perfect... thanks everyooe for your input, thougH I seem to be dogged by yet another problem with the car (Gearbox) which I'll post if I can't find a solution on site... Thanks once again  :y
« Last Edit: 26 August 2007, 20:52:02 by madmonk »

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 August 2007, 23:35:58 »

Thanks for the update and glad that it worked OK for you.   :y

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 August 2007, 04:30:04 »

so what's it's average running temperature now then? Has it stopped the fans coming on? and was the waterpump actually changed when you had the cambelt done???

madmonk

• Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 August 2007, 10:12:23 »

Can't b e 100% on the pump, I assume this was done, i shall attempt a cambelt and pump change myself next time, that way I will know...

The Temperature now sits at about 93 on motorways, round the back lanes and thru towns slow driving she creeps up to and sits at about 95 (+/- 1).  when stationary for a while temperature will rise to 97, fans kick in and bring down to about the 95 mark..., so I guess average for motorways 93 and round town etc 95

To give an example.   When I placed my first post, the temp gauge would never go below 95/96, wherever  or however I drove, and constantly crept to 97 fans always on with what appeared no reflection in temperature drop or to that matter  no increase either,   last saturday I drove to Sidcup (7am nice and cool at that time) on M25 from Essex about a 40/50 mile Journey I guess. The gauge was sitting 97 as was usual.  When I stopped at a roundabout the gauge shot over the 100 mark the warning light came on (at this point I was a little concerened  ;D).   I just about managed to keep the temperature below the 100 marker with the heating full on and did make it home... Sunday morning flushed thru with Forte Cooling flush, followed Hotel21 advice and this seems to have done the trick, withe results mentioned above.
« Last Edit: 27 August 2007, 10:14:03 by madmonk »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.