Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 4428 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Windows 7
« on: 09 October 2019, 10:38:09 »

As Win 7 is dying, I am about to try Linux. In my disc management, there is a partition saying:

System Reserved
100Mb NTFS
Healthy, System, Active, Primary Partition

What is this for?
The options to delete or extend volume are unavailable. :-\ :-\ :-\

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2019, 12:12:35 »

It's a system reserved partition for Windows. A fresh install on Linux will allow you to edit the HDD config and delete this during the installation process.

Which flavour of linux is tempting you?
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2019, 12:43:13 »

One that a friend has given me on a stick, but I've forgotten the name. :-[ He says it is suitable for a numpty such as me.
As far as the partition is concerned, I thought I had partitioned my hard drive sometime ago preparing for Linux, but the one I referred to is the only one besides the C drive. :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2019, 12:57:28 »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2019, 13:07:24 »

Cheers Aaron. Delete option is greyed out anyway. :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2019, 19:57:59 »

I,m using Linux Mint that my BIL installed for me last year. Seems ok at the moment, but, as i,m such a computer dummy, my usage is, shall we say, very shallow. :-[

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2019, 20:14:01 »

I,m using Linux Mint that my BIL installed for me last year. Seems ok at the moment, but, as i,m such a computer dummy, my usage is, shall we say, very shallow. :-[

:y :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2019, 17:16:39 »

If you're not using Windows, you can blow it away.

If you like Windoze, you can still upgrade it to Windows 10 for free - assuming the hardware can hold it.

Linux is my day job nowadays, since the demise of real, reliable Unix.  Its fair to say, whilst I'm comfortable with it, and Redhat Certified, I sure as hell wouldn't use it as a desktop myself.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2019, 19:09:11 »

If you like Windoze, you can still upgrade it to Windows 10 for free - assuming the hardware can hold it.

Linux is my day job nowadays, since the demise of real, reliable Unix.  Its fair to say, whilst I'm comfortable with it, and Redhat Certified, I sure as hell wouldn't use it as a desktop myself.

Hmmm, the two friends who recommended it are not IT experts, well one is a professional so I suppose he is very competent. The other is just an interested amateur, and both happily use their version of Linux as desktop systems.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2019, 08:59:06 »

Hmmm, the two friends who recommended it are not IT experts, well one is a professional so I suppose he is very competent. The other is just an interested amateur, and both happily use their version of Linux as desktop systems.  :-\
(Assuming you have good backups of all your stuff) There is no harm in trying it :).  You may take to it like a duck to water, especially if all you do is use a web browser :).

But just before you blow away your Win7 system, get your free Win10 licence for it by doing the upgrade. Then you have a supported, licenced path back to Windows should Linux not work out for you :)

PM me direct if you need clarification.
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2019, 09:07:31 »

What TB said, really - if you mostly browse the web, you'll probably get along with it just fine .. my other half - albeit also an IT bod - uses it happily on her laptop at home for browsing/email/working from home.

I toy with the idea regularly - but mostly I'm a Mac person these days (since corporate support that). There's a Raspberry Pi 4 running Linux to my left that I play with occasionally .. it's next to the Amiga 1500, 1200, 500, Spectrum +3 and Sinclair QL that I also play with occasionally ;D :-X

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2019, 13:24:14 »

(Assuming you have good backups of all your stuff) There is no harm in trying it :).  You may take to it like a duck to water, especially if all you do is use a web browser :).

But just before you blow away your Win7 system, get your free Win10 licence for it by doing the upgrade. Then you have a supported, licenced path back to Windows should Linux not work out for you :)

PM me direct if you need clarification.

Thanks Jaime. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2019, 16:55:24 »

What TB said, really - if you mostly browse the web, you'll probably get along with it just fine .. my other half - albeit also an IT bod - uses it happily on her laptop at home for browsing/email/working from home.

I toy with the idea regularly - but mostly I'm a Mac person these days (since corporate support that). There's a Raspberry Pi 4 running Linux to my left that I play with occasionally .. it's next to the Amiga 1500, 1200, 500, Spectrum +3 and Sinclair QL that I also play with occasionally ;D :-X
My Mac - an i7, 16Gb, 512G SSD, 2017 vintage I think, sees less action than my QL/Spectrum (original)/A500 ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2019, 17:00:36 »

My Mac - an i7, 16Gb, 512G SSD, 2017 vintage I think, sees less action than my QL/Spectrum (original)/A500 ;D
It dual boots windoze (because I need stuff that either isn't available on macOS, or simply doesn't work since the previous, previous set of updates), but there is no way I'll ever get used to Apple's stupid non US keyboard (for non Mac users, the non US keyboard is essentially a US keyboard)…   ...that's before you consider its one of those keyboards (for non Mac users, these are the new Apple laptop keyboards that don't actually work, and only a class action has made Apple "repair" them, the repair being as reliable as the original).
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2019, 17:04:08 »

I have a 10" iPad. I do everything on it, surfing, banking, emails, YouTube, etc. Although I appreciate that some people need to do a lot more than me, I reckon it's all the average user needs.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.