Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan awning size  (Read 1539 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Caravan awning size
« on: 02 June 2016, 19:48:26 »

Just looking for a bit of advise from OOFERS with caravans......
I am wanting to buy a used awning for my caravan. The caravan manufacturers state the awning size from ground to ground round the awning channel for my caravan is 800cm.
The awnings I am interested in go up in 25cm increments i.e. size 6 is 775-800 cm, and size 7 is 800-825cm.
Question is, do I go for the smaller size or do I go for the bigger size as both cover the 800cm size I require? Has anyone any experience of this aspect buying the most suitable awning?
I have spoken to several caravan dealers who have given mixed info, none of which convinced me as to which to go for.
Any info would be much appreciated.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan awning size
« Reply #1 on: 02 June 2016, 20:10:27 »

Personally I would always go for the slightly bigger size. Reasons as follows :)

The "A-Frame" measurement given by the maker is measured in a factory on a concrete floor that is perfectly flat and level, as is the caravan at the time of measurement. Hopefully the van weight was correct at the time of measurement as well as tyre size and pressures, all of which will influence the accuracy of that measurement.

In real life the surface you are on is seldom level. If the ground "falls away" side-to-side and you have had to use a wedge to get level, then you have, effectively, increased the A measurement by raising the wheel off the ground. If the ground slopes fore/aft by more than a few inches front/rear the same thing occurs. Likewise any dips/hollows where you are about to peg down can have major effects !

It is very easy to angle the ends outwards to take up a small amount of "excess" material if the awning is slightly long, it is very difficult to peg the ends down securely if they don't reach the ground when the awning is slightly short ... (ok...  elastic extenders can be used but I don't trust them)

Just my view .. but in 30 years of vanning I've had both long and short awnings ... and long are far easier to accommodate .. every time !

HTH  :)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 June 2016, 21:26:46 »

Thank you for all that very helpful info! It also makes sense too, as it had crossed my mind that the van could be raised a couple of inches quite easily with the plastic chocks if necessary which would take any out any slack depending on the fall of the land.
It's a Dorema Daytona that I am looking at - seems a good quality awning at a reasonable price, rather than paying top money for an Isabella or less money for a questionably lesser quality such as a Tuscany Pyramid, which I have heard aren't particularly good quality, although I'll stand corrected.
Other manufacturers seem to have different size increments which cover the 800 size, but I quite like the look of the Dorema.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2016, 21:34:09 »

I agree with Entwood.  :y
End to end slope is bad enough to deal with but having one wheel on a levelling ramp you will be glad of the more liberal length.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2016, 21:55:59 »

johnnydog, do you intend to use the awning merely for a few weeks per year - holidays, etc., - or for all season/year? If the latter, you will definitely need a better quality canvas and possibly steel poles in case of foul weather, i.e. English summer! It's worth checking when it was last reproofed if more than a few years old, too.
Oh, and perfect advice from Entwood, too; I echo every word.

Ron.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 June 2016, 23:18:04 »

It's only for a few weeks each year; I have found a 2015 Dorema Daytona with steel poles and Easy Grip quick release clamps, and Quicklock pads (no drilling the van to locate the pole hooks). It's got Ten Cate All Season coated polyester roofing and wall material, and is like brand new. It is the larger size (size 7), so on the advise you have given, I will go for it.
Knowledge from experience is far better than the commission driven advice from sales staff, imho.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 June 2016, 10:29:32 »

As wot Entwood said :y
I like red cars

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 June 2016, 12:40:16 »

As wot Entwood said :y

Yes,I second that ,much easier to deal with a little excess than not enough :y :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 June 2016, 23:58:28 »

Thanks for the responses - now bought a Dorema Daytona in the bigger size. Will have a trial fitting, and hopefully.......... :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 June 2016, 20:36:55 »

Struth...size 7 !!!! Makes mine sound huge at size 16  ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.