Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2981460 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #15750 on: 24 February 2018, 15:53:06 »

Attempted to take the Pussy out for a blast to test the wheel bearing, but the hunt was out again  >:(

I have nothing against the hunt, despite not liking horses much, but the braindead, arrogant, single mind, inconsiderate oppswits who spectate need to be treated in the same way as the fox that gets chased, as a bullet is too good for these knobheads.

Why do they feel its OK to just block the roads so they can get out and look? Or drive at 10mph, spending more time looking over the fields than where they are going, invariably swerving all over the road in the process.

Tuesdays, the lot of them  >:(

Still, I can confirm the horn on Kitty works well for extended periods.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15751 on: 24 February 2018, 16:00:16 »

A bit late....but went up to Serek's yesterday,changed a door solenoid and replaced the bush on the steering idler with a Poly. Top job as usual and then took the opportunity of giving the old girl a thorough spanking on the way home....would have been rude not to! 8)
Be interested to know what you think of that modification Ken.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15752 on: 24 February 2018, 19:36:32 »

Checked the pollen filter in the Pussy. As expected in needs replacing, as is to be expected when it has been dealer serviced.  The date stamps give the game away  ;D

Wrote up a guide for doing it (lot easier than on the X260, Mr DTM), then promptly did a fake air filter change, again to write up a guide.

I'm bloody determined to get some of the Jag mongrels to actually consider some DIY, rather than immediately assume that only dealers can do it, and that they will get fantastic service from dealers.  But its an uphill struggle.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15753 on: 24 February 2018, 20:41:23 »

The 190 wasn't interested in starting yesterday when I was leaving for work, and I didn't have time to fart around with it, so had a look today.
First suspect was the correct one. Vegoil going thick due to cold temps. Filled the main filter with devils juice, to help[ it get started and mixed around 15% devils juice into the tank, and its running perfectly now.
Had to spend nearly £7  in the local filling station though, which makes me deeply unhappy.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15754 on: 24 February 2018, 21:50:39 »

Makes me wonder if the 3.2 was to expire, within a 90 second walk, there are 5 takeaways. 2x Indians, a Chinese, Thai and a chicken burger place. They must all chuck their oil....

Given right car, could you pop to local supermarket stick a fivers worth diesel in then stick 50L of filtered oil from the takeaways in? Not sure how Mr Tax man would like that  :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15755 on: 24 February 2018, 22:45:43 »

No need for the fivers worth of diesel apart from when the weather is cold. Just filter the oil and tip it in the tank.
Taxman isn't a problem. Its perfectly legal to use up to 2500 litres per year before duty is payable. Just need to keep a rolling 12 month record of what / when you've collected in case anyone asks. Although I never have been.
Don't bother getting any from Chinese. Too much fat in it, which blocks filters quickly. Indian is usually good stuff.
XUD engined cars (with a Bosch pump) are pretty good, as is the Isuzu engine 1.7 TD Cavalier. The best of the lot though is the Merc 190D. The injection pump is the size of a moped engine and would pump grease to the injectors if you could get it there from the tank,
which is why I have one.
There is of course a forum on the subject.
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/mybbforum/index.php
« Last Edit: 24 February 2018, 22:47:53 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #15757 on: 24 February 2018, 23:02:06 »

That veggie oil site has a problem section called Dear Deidre.  The top thread is entitled Oh Dear, In The Doghouse Because Of VD ;D

Maybe we should have a similar section called Dear Uncle STEMO! ???

A problem shared and all that!  ;)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #15758 on: 24 February 2018, 23:05:01 »

They ain’t cheap are they  :o

Do 406’s from 2000 era have these Bosch pumps?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15759 on: 24 February 2018, 23:11:41 »

Not sure, but the info might be on the forum somewhere. I think XUD engines can have a bosch or a lucas pump from memory. You need toook at the individual car to check.
Decent 190,s arent usually cheap, but they hold their price well, as they are known to be able to give over half a million miles without giving serious mechanical problems. Rust is their main problem tbh, but I cut it all out of mine and welded it up.
I paid £350 for mine, but it is very scruffy cosmetically. Ive also had to recommission brakes, suspension and various other things as it had been neglected.
They have a nice old school character about them, and handle very nicely. People who own them tend to love them.
I would expect to pay somewhere around £1500 for a half dcent one. That turbo one might go for more, as it is pretty rare in a rhd car.
I could be tempted by it myself tbh.
Its similar to doing an lpg conversion, in the sense that you do the sums regarding how much your outlay is likely to be, how much you will save per month, and how long it will take to pay for itself.
Your fuel will be close to £0, so it should pay for itself pretty quickly. I get around half my fuel free, some I pay for. I went and collected 100 litres of very nice oil the other day and paid a tenner for it.
Most people are happy to give it to you if they can rely on you taking it away when they want rid of it.
There are big companies who will collect it and pay them around 20p pl for it, but they are notoriously unreliable, which pisses people off.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2018, 23:20:13 by Migv6 »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #15760 on: 25 February 2018, 00:16:03 »

Do you find there is much competition for the oil? On the face of it it seems like there would be as it "worth" about £1/L to the right person.

Also, what kind of filtration setup do you use? i watched a youtube vid, clearly a knowledgeable chap, but seemed to be suggesting 3 x 150-200L tanks were required for his setup :o

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15761 on: 25 February 2018, 00:34:28 »

Oil supply varies from time to time. Sometimes I have more than I have room to store it. Other times I struggle to get enough for my needs.
I had a couple of weeks like that recently, so went to Aldi and bought new oil at 80p per litre, which is still a decent saving on diesel.
There are lots of different options for filtering. If you have the space its easiest to have it filtered into 200 litre drums and even have an electric pump to a pipe and nozzle just like a pump in a petrol station.
I have very little space so I have three sock filters like this,one inside the other - 10micron, 5 micron and 1 micron filters.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FILTER-SOCK-3X28-MIXED-3-BAG-SET-WVO-VEG-OIL-BIODIESEL-COOKING-OIL-ENGINE-OIL/173141892616?hash=item28500f9e08:g:oDsAAOSwrklVL568

I have a kitchen sieve sitting on the top to cath the big bits of chips etc., then it drains through the filters into a bucket, about 15 litres at a time, then gets tipped into the car. Probably the simplest, most basic method of doing it.
For me,experience has taught me that to do this succesfully its much easier to just collect good quality oil, with little or no fat in it, or milky looking oil which may well contain water which doesnt do the injection pump any favours.
This needs a little bit of experience and trial and error tbh. but its best to let the oil sit and settle for at least a few days, so any fat or other crap will sit at the bottom of the containers. Its much easier to avoid tipping it in your filters then.
If anyone on here decides to have a go, Im not an expert, but will willingly give advice if I can.
The forum in the link above has plenty of info, but its arranged in a bit of a chaotic fashion and it can take a bit of digging to find what you need.

STEMO

« Reply #15762 on: 25 February 2018, 07:47:47 »

Do you get people queuing at your front door asking for a chicken vindaloo?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #15763 on: 25 February 2018, 10:38:31 »

This needs a little bit of experience and trial and error tbh. but its best to let the oil sit and settle for at least a few days, so any fat or other crap will sit at the bottom of the containers. Its much easier to avoid tipping it in your filters then.
If anyone on here decides to have a go, Im not an expert, but will willingly give advice if I can.
The forum in the link above has plenty of info, but its arranged in a bit of a chaotic fashion and it can take a bit of digging to find what you need.

As with most things in life!  :y

However it certainly does give me pause for thought, as someone who spends over £300pcm on diesel! That said, there is some kind of logistics involved in obtaing 50l+ of the stuff per week and disposing of all the waste cans and the residual unusable fat/water/crud (maybe 5% by volume?). Still, probably worth it for near free fuel.

Plus I've got a real hankering for a 1990's volvo - 740 maybe 8)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #15764 on: 25 February 2018, 15:04:37 »

Makes me wonder if the 3.2 was to expire, within a 90 second walk, there are 5 takeaways. 2x Indians, a Chinese, Thai and a chicken burger place. They must all chuck their oil....

Given right car, could you pop to local supermarket stick a fivers worth diesel in then stick 50L of filtered oil from the takeaways in? Not sure how Mr Tax man would like that  :-\
You have to remember that the sort of car that can run on this stuff will be old, and need lots of love to stop rot - not just the 3 monthly pressure wash that your Omega gets (and the sills show what happens ;)).  Also, it will not be like any modern diesel from a performance and technology (which I know is a big thing with you) side of things.

But if you're happy with giving it time and love, not falling for the snobbery, and happy to poodle about at a sedate pace, it can lead to some very cheap motoring.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.