Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Another e-mail scam to beware of  (Read 6257 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Another e-mail scam to beware of
« Reply #30 on: 08 February 2021, 20:30:41 »

then let them know I work alongside Kent Police and what they are doing is totally illegal and immoral.   ....

that'll get them quaking in their boots ......  ::) ::) ::) ::)

You joke, but yes they tried everything to persuade me they were genuine after I said that, then after I rang off to report the event, they rang me back working hard to convince me they were legit.
They were panicking, then when I repeated what I thought of them, THEY cut the call! 

I had pissed them off and I was happy! ;D ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 February 2021, 20:32:09 »

Yeah, most will be a standard attack, purely derived from a suckers list sold via the dark web.  The best lists are the ones with, errr, real suckers on. Thats the point.  If its INTERNATIONAL prefixed, its suckers. End of.

A well orchestrated spearfish from somebody who knows what they are doing, thats a different thing altogether, and its very likely a high proportion of us would fall for one.  They tend to be a long con by there nature, so built up over days/weeks/months. Hence expensive to exploit, hence a different game altogether than a quick call to grab information or compromise some home technology.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 February 2021, 20:32:27 »

Got to agree with you Lizzie , to hand any personal details to anyone is extremely foolish fortunately most folk are aware of these ridiculous scams now.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 08 February 2021, 20:38:58 »

Got to agree with you Lizzie , to hand any personal details to anyone is extremely foolish fortunately most folk are aware of these ridiculous scams now.
Well, its a booming business.  They get more than enough victims to pay for expensive infrastructure to set this up and pay swathes of people ;)
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08 February 2021, 20:45:31 »

Well, its a booming business.  They get more than enough victims to pay for expensive infrastructure to set this up and pay swathes of people ;)

Believe what you want but most people are aware & simply string them along or  hang up.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 February 2021, 20:49:16 »

Yes indeed, with the authorities playing catch up I’m afraid. £1.2 billion in 2019, although another potential £1.8 billion was avoided by improved security and policing :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 February 2021, 20:57:41 »

You joke, but yes they tried everything to persuade me they were genuine after I said that, then after I rang off to report the event, they rang me back working hard to convince me they were legit.
They were panicking, then when I repeated what I thought of them, THEY cut the call! 

I had pissed them off and I was happy! ;D ;D ;D

'THEY' cut the call with me when I question them too ..... I very much doubt the mention of plod has them even bothered, let alone panicked  ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 February 2021, 21:02:46 »

It's laughable because  almost 100 percent of the scam calls I've received have Indian accents ,if that doesn't get your guard up then quite honestly you deserve to get scammed .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 February 2021, 21:07:01 »

You keep answering the phone to them ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 February 2021, 21:10:11 »

I  treat your comments with the same opinions I have of the scammers.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 February 2021, 21:12:26 »

It's laughable because  almost 100 percent of the scam calls I've received have Indian accents ,if that doesn't get your guard up then quite honestly you deserve to get scammed .

;D ;D Yes, all too often!

That is why Andy B is very correct in saying these people are not panicked by any mention of the police.  However, there are some of these outfits that operate in this nation, and maybe the chiefs who stand to make the big bucks, think they can outwit the authorities and do not fear them. But, the foot soldiers they throw crumbs too for their illegal work are running scarred of being found out and can be panicked. It is interesting that in the police raids I have seen those workers quickly run and disappear, with their bosses staying put and being arrogant enough, or in denial, to think they can ride the storm. They don’t  ;D ;D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 February 2021, 21:16:09 »

You keep on saying that, but I do have genuine calls from outside the U.K. and I cannot ignore them altogether.  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 February 2021, 21:31:04 »

Actually you can, especially if they're unexpected  ::)

In this day and age, a business related call is almost universally pre empted by some form of email...

I occasionally get calls from Ukraine... Doesn't mean that I automatically answer them ;D

And my phone has a spam filter on texts from dubious sources, so they just get deleted...
« Last Edit: 08 February 2021, 21:33:27 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 February 2021, 21:52:00 »

Actually you can, especially if they're unexpected  ::)

In this day and age, a business related call is almost universally pre empted by some form of email...

I occasionally get calls from Ukraine... Doesn't mean that I automatically answer them ;D

And my phone has a spam filter on texts from dubious sources, so they just get deleted...
Oh..do shut up.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08 February 2021, 22:00:38 »

You keep on saying that, but I do have genuine calls from outside the U.K. and I cannot ignore them altogether.  ;)
Have a look at Jim Browning on YouTube, Lizzie, there's a lot of stuff he's put up, but it gives you a small insight into the goings on.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.