Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer question.  (Read 1044 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
Computer question.
« on: 18 July 2018, 18:58:00 »

Probably a silly question but iam a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to techi stuff.
 Can i buy a pc that will allow me to wifi to three different tv/monitors.

Iam thinking of
My office computer hd wired to my tv(monitor) printer
My sons room tv/monitor wifi mouse/keyboard
My daughters room tv/monitor wifi mouse/keyboard

Can i have the above total wifi also can i have all three using and searching the net at the same time.
 Looking at a budget of about £600. I already have a dell using windows 7 with wireless mouse keyboard.

Any help with setup list of stuff i need to buy would be great thanks.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Computer question.
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2018, 20:28:18 »

No

There are some quiet clever Casting tricks you can do with Monitors with some additional Hardware, but it will painfull when they start dropping off the Network and then trying to re connect again.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2018, 00:51:41 »

I am probably not understanding the question properly, but I have my computer here, with two monitors, hard wired to my BT hub....then the tv is connected to the hub (WiFi) via a dongle, as is the TV upstairs. ???
I thought you could connect as many as you like, but its the hub you connect to, not the PC.
As I said....probably in the wrong tree !!!!!
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2018, 12:13:02 »

You cant WiFi to the screens unless they are 'smart' or have another device connected to them that supports the functionality.  Depends also if you mean casting to the screens or just providing Internet access through WiFi from where they can stream TV and media.  Either of them will require a device connecting to the screens to enable the functionality.

In terms of budget you can get a half decent desktop for about 250 leaving you 350 for screens, a couple of Raspberry Pis and the keyboard/mouse.  Very doable.

WiFi signals and throughput will differ a lot depending on the neighbour's traffic, the hardware used and where it is placed along with the fabric/size of the home.  Each channel has a finite bandwidth or throughput.  If all your neighbous used the same WiFi channel then regardless of your setup you could have a very slow connection.  This can be further restricted by the quality of the backbone on the WiFi router, generally the more you pay the better you get but not always.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2018, 19:29:27 »

If all your neighbous used the same WiFi channel then regardless of your setup you could have a very slow connection.
But infinitely better than if they put on an adjacent channel.  2 on a co-op channel works, 2 on overlapping channels does work well at all.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 22 queries.