Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery not as powerful as it was before I changed a bulb  (Read 1504 times)

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • 2.5TD Silver Auto Elite
    • View Profile

Hi all,

I changed a bulb on the passenger side area and removed the battery because it was in the way.

Now the cars starting ability is not as good after I have put the battery back. It has less power then a few days ago and the weather has been cold for all of it so thats not a factor.

I'm thinking I didn't clamp it to the cables properly or well enough and maybe the connection to the battery is not as strong, perhaps it is not charging fully or when the starter motor needs all the power it is not flowing properly anymore.

Here are the specs of the battery, it is 1 1/2 years old and was excellent until I removed it :(

12V 950 CCA, 100 Ah,

Does anyone have any pictures or tips to fitting them properly.

I thought I put the terminals back on far down enough and then tightened up the clamps as much as I could but maybe not.

Thanks guys

Alex

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
Re: Battery not as powerful as it was before I changed a bulb
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2013, 14:03:11 »

Also, just thinking in general, do trickle chargers work on Omegas, the ones that plug into the 12v socket?

Thanks

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2013, 14:06:47 »

Also, just thinking in general, do trickle chargers work on Omegas, the ones that plug into the 12v socket?

Thanks

No... The socket is only live with the ignition on ;)

Check the readings with a multimeter as per the guide :y

I'd be suspicious of the crimps personally
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2013, 14:10:57 »

OK understood about the charger.

Yes my thinking too.

What is the best procedure for doing this?

Should I remove the battery again and then install it again but with some helpful hints ... ( that I am hoping you can provide now if possible :) )

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2013, 14:17:15 »

You can't really go far wrong... If the terminals are all the way down on the battery posts and tight (not stupidly tight) then that part's OK. Check to see if they get very hot when the engine is running then it points at bad crimp where the wires go into the clamps ;)

Don't forget though, in the cold weather the battery takes a beating and if it's not had a decent run (at least 20-30 mins) then it will be less than fully charged anyway

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2013, 14:21:23 »

Hiya,

OK thanks very much for that.

Next question,

How do I know if my battery cables are good, I suspect they are originals and may not be the best.

I can see that places offer replacement cables but I don't know where the cable would attach to at the other end?

Thanks

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2013, 14:45:31 »

Hiya,

OK thanks very much for that.

Next question,

How do I know if my battery cables are good, I suspect they are originals and may not be the best.

I can see that places offer replacement cables but I don't know where the cable would attach to at the other end?

Thanks

Rare to need to replace the whole cable... Worst case is just needing to sort the crimp at the clamp :y

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2013, 20:49:50 »

OK, I shall take a close look and report back.

Thanks

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 April 2013, 20:33:59 »

Hi all,

I have just ordered a multi meter so when it arrives I will test out the voltage and report back with my findings.

Just out of interest.

Is there a how to guide for replacing the cables that go from the battery to the alternator? Mine look kinked and not in the best condition and they will be originals so 14-15 years old now.

I'm not going to replace anything before testing and checking on here but I just wanted to know how to do it if need be.

Thanks

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2013, 22:02:01 »

Hi all,

I have just ordered a multi meter so when it arrives I will test out the voltage and report back with my findings.

Just out of interest.

Is there a how to guide for replacing the cables that go from the battery to the alternator? Mine look kinked and not in the best condition and they will be originals so 14-15 years old now.

I'm not going to replace anything before testing and checking on here but I just wanted to know how to do it if need be.

Thanks

Hi,

The multi-meter will be good for a static test and a dynamic test (when car off and with it running) but from what I've learned at school (and guys here will correct me if I'm wrong  :)) but the battery can still be bad.

Your problem though started straight after you did something... so i'd guess the battery's good.

You did remove neg. first, then positive... and on replacement positive first, then neg.? I've heard (although not seen it personally) that bad things can happen to the batt. if this isn't done.

if all done correct i'd try cleaning the posts and the terminals with a wire brush..... good connection is essential :)

hth
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 April 2013, 23:01:44 »

Hi all,

Just out of interest.

Thanks

Hi,

The multi-meter will be good for a static test and a dynamic test (when car off and with it running) but from what I've learned at school (and guys here will correct me if I'm wrong  :)) but the battery can still be bad.

Your problem though started straight after you did something... so i'd guess the battery's good.

You did remove neg. first, then positive... and on replacement positive first, then neg.? I've heard (although not seen it personally) that bad things can happen to the batt. if this isn't done.

if all done correct i'd try cleaning the posts and the terminals with a wire brush..... good connection is essential :)

hth

Safety first, thats all. with the negative still attached, removing the positive first could result in a spanner short to the bodywork situation.
Remove the negative first, you have risk assessed your way out of trouble.

SR-71Blackbird

• Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 April 2013, 00:03:06 »

Ok thanks for the tips all. I hope to be able to look at it soon and report back. I agree that it is very likely me not doing something right as is generally the case, very annoying as it had great power before seeing as the CCA is so large and now it is kinda rubbish. Hopefully an easy fix somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.