Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Coolant Change - Part 1  (Read 1442 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant Change - Part 1
« on: 05 August 2006, 22:53:30 »

Started work on my coolant change today, using Markjay's excellent write up [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Gave the bolts securing the undertray a good soaking in plus gas along with those that fix the radiator cover and went out to buy various bits like hose clips, drain bowl and some of Sainsbury's finest mineral water!

Got back home and removed undertray and radiator cover and located the rad drain tap.  All OK so far.

Removed the expansion tank cap and then noted a series of cracks following the neck of the tank. Bu**er!

Pictures show what I mean: (first attempt at posting a pic so hope it works!)

(*** links removed - MJ)

So, went to vaux (dealer only ½ mile up the road from me) to get a price.  £39 for a tank with sensor and in stock!  Why do that have that and not a brake light switch I wonder?

Anyway, I will be fitting a new tank as, whilst I am sure that this one will be OK for a while, I like to do things properly.  Will be phoning Autovaux on Monday to fit out their price.

Still, I was going to take the bottle of and use a bottle brush to clean it up - at least I will have a nice shiny new one now I suppose!

I am replying in a separate thread so that you can keep the 'How2' continuous.

You mention the undertray securing bolts - removing it is only needed if you are actually going to take the rad out (which is not a bad thing as you can flush it properly), but as you already know where the rad drain tap is you can see it is easily reached without removing the undertray? Unless like me you are in the habbit of spraying any rusty or corroded looking bolts with WD40 just in case...

Can you give an idea as to what the plan is, i.e. are you going to just change the coolant or also flush, and if so will be you taking the rad and/or thermostat off, etc...?

BTW, one way around finding-the-right-type-of-water issue is to use ready-made coolant (such as Halfords Long-Life Antifreeze) - it comes ready mixed with soft water from the factory. However I prefer Vx's own coolant and that comes as a concentrate and needs added water.

The pics are great, whatever you chose to do please keep taking them and posting here....

« Last Edit: 06 August 2006, 07:26:17 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant Change - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2006, 10:48:01 »

Thanks for the additional info Markjay.  I took the undertray off as I wanted to copper ease the bolts and make sure that I could undo them in my own time - i.e. not struggle later if time is an issue!

Like you, my coolant is clean - I was going to flush the rad, but on second inspection have decided against it.  I will simply do a quick change as you did.  I am only doing this as the antifreeze mixture is too low for my liking following work at the Vaux dealer.

I did think about the premixed coolant but, also like you, I prefer genuine Vaux fluids.

In spite of the cracked tank, I will do the first drain today.

Glad the pics turned out OK - I will take a few more as work progresses!

Thanks again
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.