Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One for the sparks:  (Read 5092 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
One for the sparks:
« on: 23 June 2018, 13:35:55 »

The 18th Edition of the wiring regs. is published on the 2nd July and comes into force in January 2019.

https://www.wiringregulations.net/pages/18th-edition-wiring-regs

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: One for the sparks:
« Reply #1 on: 23 June 2018, 13:40:52 »

Thanks for posting that :y :y

Essential reading for any of us who work with electrics around the home, and I have been awaiting the latest update. 8)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 June 2018, 13:42:54 »

Half the people here will still be on wylex re-wireable fuses and round pin plugs   :P

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2018, 13:49:02 »

Half the people here will still be on wylex re-wireable fuses and round pin plugs   :P

You joke about that, but last year a friend of mine, who is a builder, had to stop a professional electrical contractor, hired by his major housing association landlord, from wiring up a complete flat re-wire to an old, ceramic and wire fuse consumer unit!!

I, with other experiences surrounding so called "qualified electricians" just wonder how many of them actually read and always put into practice the current regs.  Bloody frightening, especially as one incident two years ago started a ceiling fire due to mis-wiring of what I would call a very simple lighting circuit :o :o :o

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 June 2018, 13:54:11 »

A Former neighbour of mine worked as an electrician for a left wing national newspaper. If you saw how his house outside lights are wired, you know he had never read any wiring regs. :o
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2018, 13:58:03 »

A Former neighbour of mine worked as an electrician for a left wing national newspaper. If you saw how his house outside lights are wired, you know he had never read any wiring regs. :o

I can quite believe it! :o :o ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2018, 14:26:28 »

I can quite believe it! :o :o ;)
"the cobbler's shoes are never fixed"

with Bs7671 people make the mistake of interpreting one section rule applies ,and if their solution covers that rule, all is good .
BUT , other sections and rules must also be met .

still have a chuckle to myself when Billy "prince of darkness / DIY SOS" says "ring main" instead of ring final circuit 
ring main  being the term for the DNO supply cables

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2018, 16:16:57 »

Back in my college lecturing days, we had a Principal lecturer for the sparks' courses who trained and rehearsed his students religiously into answering vast numbers of their City and Guilds final exam papers, so that they were word-perfect on the day. Obviously, his pass rate was immaculate, and the Department Head never sussed him - or didn't want to?
I was seconded from the \Electronics Department to service that aspect of the Electricians' course, as this bloke knew nothing about electronics - nor much else, really!
When I first met this group, I started by outlining the Scheme of Work, and what they were expected to know, along with sample of Lesson Plans.
I was not expecting the astonished reaction that I got....."Wow, you are not going to TEACH us, are you Sir?"

I think that says it all, but isn't if frightening that so many tradesmen are released "fully qualified! with a licence to practise, not having much of a clue what they are doing?  :o ::)

Ron.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2018, 16:48:59 »

I did my apprenticeship when the 14th Edition (1966) was current ( :) ) did a 17th Edition update quite a few years ago.. Most of my work was breakdown maintenance but I'm now retired...

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2018, 18:47:11 »

I can remember my Father asking a yoof( not that many years ago ) in the local DIY store for one of those ancient socket connectors that plugged into the light fitting so he could run some power off it  , the poor kid just looked baffled  ;D

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2018, 18:56:52 »

Still got them here, nothing wrong with that, does the job, trick is when they blow to then run additional three or four fuse wires together, twist them together, that way the current is shared among each one, so when one them does blow you've still the other three to take over without any interruption in supply. Although I must admit I not had any blow since then.  :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2018, 19:04:27 »

Still got them here, nothing wrong with that, does the job, trick is when they blow to then run additional three or four fuse wires together, twist them together, that way the current is shared among each one, so when one them does blow you've still the other three to take over without any interruption in supply. Although I must admit I not had any blow since then.  :D

Hope your not in your house ,WHEN it burns down  ::)
hope you at least use RCD protection ,live close to a fire station, have "house is burning down due to electrical fires" alarms fitted , and wear thick rubber gloves and wellies everywhere  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2018, 19:12:00 »

hope you at least use RCD protection ,live close to a fire station, have "house is burning down due to electrical fires" alarms fitted , and wear thick rubber gloves and wellies everywhere :y
No need for wellies dont have Damp anymore, in fact the since my mod we dont have any condensation on the Bathroom or Kitchen walls anymore either.

Phew its warm in here again , looks like I need to leave the windows open again tonight.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 June 2018, 19:13:06 »

hope you at least use RCD protection ,live close to a fire station, have "house is burning down due to electrical fires" alarms fitted , and wear thick rubber gloves and wellies everywhere  :y

...........plus zirk, I have to ask, when was the last electrical testing done in your home? :o :o :o

Also, if you are being serious with your comments your insurance cover may well become null and void when you try to claim, and if anyone dies a manslaughter charge could be on offer!! :o :o ::)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 June 2018, 19:20:17 »

hope you at least use RCD protection ,live close to a fire station, have "house is burning down due to electrical fires" alarms fitted , and wear thick rubber gloves and wellies everywhere :y
No need for wellies dont have Damp anymore, in fact the since my mod we dont have any condensation on the Bathroom or Kitchen walls anymore either.

Phew its warm in here again , looks like I need to leave the windows open again tonight.

That would be the underfloor heating (and in wall heating ) due to cables glowing  ;D

guess your not at home much then , (at work all the time , to pay the electric bill)
or does it all run off an extension lead ,plugged into the lamp post ?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.