Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell ink cartridges  (Read 2311 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Dell ink cartridges
« on: 25 January 2015, 19:38:36 »

At the price of OE, I'm looking elsewhere for my 964 cartridges. has anyone any experience of aftermarket ones. I know some can cause problems, and all the suppliers claim their's are OK to use. :-\ :-\ :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
Re: Dell ink cartridges
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2015, 16:09:04 »

Anybody? :-\ :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2015, 16:22:52 »

Cant comment on Dell (I seem to recall Lexmark made most of the Dell printers) but never had an issue with my HP on aftermarket ink

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 January 2015, 16:26:41 »

Unfortunately there are a few reports of printer damage using some after market cart's, so I am hoping that I can find someone who has found good ones. Yes, agree about Lexmark, so if anyone has used aftermarket successfully with these I would like to hear about it. I should mention here that my printer is an all-in-one that a neighbour was throwing out, so even if I have to pay for OE, I will be ahead. ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January 2015, 17:31:06 »

Generally, aftermarket cartridges (including "genuine" sold via dubious outlets like egay and amazon) are shite.

Those with printhead in the cartridge, this is no hardship, although you may prematurely fill the waste reservoir, as you replace printhead with cartridge. Those with separate printheads, always use reputably sourced genuines.

In the case of Dell, bin the printer and buy a big name brand, so you have better cartridge competition. 2 choices:
Cheap printer (sold below cost), expensive cartridges, sometimes cheaper to replace printer than cartridges (but beware some manufacturers only supply part filled cartridges with device)
Expensive printer, "cheap" genuine ink

Canon, HP and Epson would be my initial choices, but avoid Epson if you want to try pattern ink.
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 January 2015, 17:43:23 »

I have Kodak at home and HP at work,inks are similar money but Kodak gives more yield :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2015, 18:20:37 »

Generally, aftermarket cartridges (including "genuine" sold via dubious outlets like egay and amazon) are shite.

Those with printhead in the cartridge, this is no hardship, although you may prematurely fill the waste reservoir, as you replace printhead with cartridge. Those with separate printheads, always use reputably sourced genuines.

In the case of Dell, bin the printer and buy a big name brand, so you have better cartridge competition. 2 choices:
Cheap printer (sold below cost), expensive cartridges, sometimes cheaper to replace printer than cartridges (but beware some manufacturers only supply part filled cartridges with device)

Canon, HP and Epson would be my initial choices, but avoid Epson if you want to try pattern ink.

I have two Epson printers....one cost me...£200, reduced from £400 when Epson bought out a new model....that one runs a 6 ink CIS system...absolutely fine. The other one was a cheapo £40? all in one.....that's got pattern ink in it.....occasionally pops up a window complaining of non genuine carts in it......but I just click the 'I know' button and it carries on  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2015, 18:33:45 »

I have two Epson printers....one cost me...£200, reduced from £400 when Epson bought out a new model....that one runs a 6 ink CIS system...absolutely fine. The other one was a cheapo £40? all in one.....that's got pattern ink in it.....occasionally pops up a window complaining of non genuine carts in it......but I just click the 'I know' button and it carries on  :y
As said earlier, the reason I wouldn't recommend an Epson printer if you wanted to use pattern ink is the fact that the printheads cannot be replaced (or the ink tubes on the more upmarket 5 and 6 cartridge photo ones).

Personally, I like Epson inkjet printers, but I've shagged far too many using pattern ink...  ...possibly not helped by sporadic use, as I use the laser most of the time.
Grumpy old man

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2015, 01:20:00 »

Unfortunately there are a few reports of printer damage using some after market cart's, so I am hoping that I can find someone who has found good ones. Yes, agree about Lexmark, so if anyone has used aftermarket successfully with these I would like to hear about it. I should mention here that my printer is an all-in-one that a neighbour was throwing out, so even if I have to pay for OE, I will be ahead. ::) ::) ::)

I've used JetTec cartridges for Lexmark, HP and Epson over the years without issue.  Also, I sold thousands of JetTec cartridges when I ran my IT business, without any complaint or return.

Now use Canon printers and inks from http://www.internet-ink.co.uk without any problems.  They also do Dell pattern cartridges, but I've no experience of these.

Best advice re Dell printers is TB's advice - bin it ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2015, 20:39:54 »

I've used JetTec cartridges for Lexmark, HP and Epson over the years without issue.  Also, I sold thousands of JetTec cartridges when I ran my IT business, without any complaint or return.

Now use Canon printers and inks from http://www.internet-ink.co.uk without any problems.  They also do Dell pattern cartridges, but I've no experience of these.

My old Epson managed 3 sets of JetTec before the heads wouldn't clean any more.

I think part of my issue is the colour printer gets so little use. 
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2015, 22:30:42 »

I've ordered some JetTec and will run on them til it stops then throw it away as advised. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2015, 08:32:20 »

I've ordered some JetTec and will run on them til it stops then throw it away as advised. :y
I genuinely believe thats the way forward :)
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2015, 13:16:35 »

Ordered from Amazon yesterday, arrived this AM! It (black) works fine, but the new Dell colour cart. I replaced last week now doesn't! >:( >:( >:(

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2015, 19:34:12 »

You usually have to have same make of carts in the printer  ;)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2015, 19:36:50 »

Ive successfully cleaned the heads using a cleaning kit on my Epson printer.....it can be done without using the printer software to clean the heads  :y

The Sheriff

« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2015, 21:32:05 »

I've got a HP wireless all in one, had it a about three years. Because we don't use it that often, I buy the genuine carts, about £17 for back&colour. I can't see the point of buying compatibles for such light usage, they will eventually bugger it up.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2015, 11:19:44 »

Ive successfully cleaned the heads using a cleaning kit on my Epson printer.....it can be done without using the printer software to clean the heads  :y
I ran £25 worth of cleaning fluid through. That and £50 of cartridges to try again. After that it went to landfill, and its successor bought (for £150  :'()
Grumpy old man

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2015, 20:07:01 »

Laser printers are reliable. Colour printers available but black and white is good enough.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 01 February 2015, 09:54:07 »

I ran £25 worth of cleaning fluid through. That and £50 of cartridges to try again. After that it went to landfill, and its successor bought (for £150  :'()

I am surprised soaking them overnight with blotting paper under the heads didn't work...
Tho it could have been because of the type of ink you used. Pigment ink will block the heads more easily if little use, hence I always use dye ink.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 February 2015, 10:21:21 »

I use an Epsom SX series and get ink from here http://www.prink.co.uk/
No issues at all.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 February 2015, 10:28:58 »

I only use genuine. As recommended with all other parts :o
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.