Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Care homes and NHS yet again  (Read 1524 times)

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
Care homes and NHS yet again
« on: 31 January 2015, 09:26:17 »

I posted about my short notice trip up north 2 weeks ago when my mother ended up in hospital.

Well she was stable so we came home and she remained under observation for her erratic blood sugars. On Friday the 23rd Jan both the care home and myself were assured she would NOT be discharged before 26/27 Jan. I made arrangements for the weekend. On Saturday afternoon I got a call from the Care Home that mum was back. Mum told me that evening that she had not walked in a week, had been waiting for a physio before she left hospital and her blood sugars were high.

The following morning I get a call from the Care Home that my mum has fallen whilst staff trying to get her to stand. She is on way to A and E and even before fall blood sugars had been 23.

Outcome is that her is leg is broken. Speak to Care Home who advise that in notes from hospital there is no mention that she had not been on her feet for a week.

Up to Manchester again having 20 minute hands free call whilst driving with ortho surgeon who says they cannot operate as bones too brittle and basically this could be end of mum's mobility (it was not great before). Blood sugars high.
A lot has gone on but we have what is classed as an unsafe discharge with the hospital having made no discharge and handling assessment and discharged her with high blood sugars which was the reason she was in there in the first place for treatment and observation.

Whilst I am on the case and have been all week and now back in Sandhurst you wonder what mum has done to deserve all this.

Waiting now for formal reports and meeting at fracture unit on 3rd Feb.
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 09:27:54 by pscocoa »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
Re: Care homes and NHS yet again
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2015, 09:45:49 »

Hoping for the best for Mum..
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2015, 09:57:33 »

I know exactly where you are coming from...
My mum broke her hip in a care home last June, had a new hip fitted, but has not walked since. She spent seven weeks in hospital, mainly because they could not decide what level of care she needed. Eventually the care home won and mum was discharged to her new care home.
Standing was as close as she ever got to walking. Sadly now she has gone downhill and is not expected to live much longer. We were called back from the tin tent at the beginning of the month as she was expected to pass away, but has rallied. We have been warned to expect a phone call any time.
So I can see where you are coming from. We had terrible arguments over at the hospital.
Forms...sick of the sight of forms....filled the same forms out three times to different people !!!!!!
I hope you get sorted, mate :y
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2015, 10:07:06 »

Very sad to hear all that.

At the end of the day someone has screwed up probably under pressure to free up a bed. Sadly the patient and family have to live with the outcome.

Mrs varche has been in Scotland for over four months now , most of which has been waiting for the discharge of her aunt from hospital following a fall in Sept. The wait is while Social Services try and organise home care in a rural situation. There isn't,t any as the careers do not get paid travelling time. So why work in the countryside when you can do more paid visits in a town?

The aunt was moved from her local hospital to one two hours away on the pretext of suspected Meningitis . Turned out not to be. That new hospital had zero notes from the original ICU hospital that fixed her afer her fall. That involved middle of the night bedside attendance. Probably done to free up a bed. Anyway she is going home on Monday. This is the third such discharge date.

Our observation of the NHS is that a lot of staff do a great job ,some are poor and it isn't very joined up.

One thing is for certain, it does not bode well for our generation when we need old age care and fixing.

Good luck with trying to secure the best outcome for your Mum.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2015, 11:17:16 »

Wishing your mother all the best.

I receive a constant stream of telephone calls from my mothers carers. The older she becomes the more attention she needs. :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2015, 11:59:51 »

I receive a constant stream of telephone calls from my mothers carers. The older she becomes the more attention she needs. :-\

Well it is good that the carers call you. The uncle in law with dementia complained to us about "his beard". He has never had a beard and shaves every day. What beard? Turned out his shaver had been broken for weeks and they never thought to mention it. If they had we could have bought him one and sent it with his weekly shopping we do.

You are right about the older she becomes the more attention she needs. There will come a point when you will have to make the decision and have her sent to a care home. I hope you have arranged power of attorneys (Health and Wealth) now while she is of sound mind to avoid any huge problems later...
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2015, 14:12:49 »

Have to say, our care home Lewin House, Aylesbury, call us regularly with any change in my mother. In fact her care manager rang last night to say that mum had 3rd grade bed sores, which they were treating.
Yes, as they get older, they obviously need more closer attention. To be quite frank, I am really surprised mum is still with us.

* Just had a call from a close friend to say his mother has passed away. They were called by the hospital to say she was slipping away. The family rushed down to Wycombe, where she had been for weeks, got up to the ward, to be told. 'She is not here'   Asked where the heck she was, they were calmly told..'We sent her to Stoke Mandeville' What!!!!!!!!! 20 miles away without informing the family !!!!!!!!

The Sheriff

« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2015, 14:18:13 »

I wish you mum all the best, Phil, although it appears that the hospital is doing their best to see her off.
I would be taking legal advice on this, it won't do your mum any good but these fickin callous, useless bastards have to be held to account.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2015, 14:32:14 »

Well it is good that the carers call you. The uncle in law with dementia complained to us about "his beard". He has never had a beard and shaves every day. What beard? Turned out his shaver had been broken for weeks and they never thought to mention it. If they had we could have bought him one and sent it with his weekly shopping we do.

You are right about the older she becomes the more attention she needs. There will come a point when you will have to make the decision and have her sent to a care home. I hope you have arranged power of attorneys (Health and Wealth) now while she is of sound mind to avoid any huge problems later...

I made an appointment with the doctor to assess my mother. I wanted the doctor  to give me power of attorney. It turns out I had waited  too long.The doctor told me that my mother no longer had 'capacity' to make the decision. In summary, I f*cked up. :-\

This is now causing me problems where money is concerned. :-\

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2015, 14:56:22 »

Not going to say this will help you, but have you looked at the Office of the Public Guardian. Maybe it is possible to apply to them for POA.
May be talking bull, but I think its worth a look at the website. They do offer some useful info (at least in my case)

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 14:59:03 by terbert »

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2015, 16:32:53 »

I made an appointment with the doctor to assess my mother. I wanted the doctor  to give me power of attorney. It turns out I had waited  too long.The doctor told me that my mother no longer had 'capacity' to make the decision. In summary, I f*cked up. :-\

This is now causing me problems where money is concerned. :-\

You can go via the Court of Protection to be a deputy but this is quite expensive compared to straight forward P of A. Depends on how much you are looking after and whether a big bill on fees is worth it if going Court route.

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2015, 16:35:24 »

I wish you mum all the best, Phil, although it appears that the hospital is doing their best to see her off.
I would be taking legal advice on this, it won't do your mum any good but these fickin callous, useless bastards have to be held to account.

I have to let NHS internal systems do their job under PALS system before deciding whether their conclusions represent closed ranks or a genuine attempt to report openly and honestly. They have 45 days to respond initially.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2015, 02:02:52 »

Very sad to hear all that.

At the end of the day someone has screwed up probably under pressure to free up a bed. Sadly the patient and family have to live with the outcome.

Mrs varche has been in Scotland for over four months now , most of which has been waiting for the discharge of her aunt from hospital following a fall in Sept. The wait is while Social Services try and organise home care in a rural situation. There isn't,t any as the careers do not get paid travelling time. So why work in the countryside when you can do more paid visits in a town?

The aunt was moved from her local hospital to one two hours away on the pretext of suspected Meningitis . Turned out not to be. That new hospital had zero notes from the original ICU hospital that fixed her afer her fall. That involved middle of the night bedside attendance. Probably done to free up a bed. Anyway she is going home on Monday. This is the third such discharge date.

Our observation of the NHS is that a lot of staff do a great job ,some are poor and it isn't very joined up.

One thing is for certain, it does not bode well for our generation when we need old age care and fixing.

Good luck with trying to secure the best outcome for your Mum.

Seriously this is a big problem, because the pay is so low, and often mileage is not paid there is little 'Care' in the rural areas, believe me, this is fact............... :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.