Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: driving holiday  (Read 4171 times)

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
driving holiday
« on: 01 February 2015, 16:10:39 »

well me and my brother are planning driving to malaga from leeds......should be fun....getting the chunnel over to froggy land then driving thru france and spain.....just been looking....frogot about the tolls and the other things that are compulsary to have in the car....the tolls are gonna cost about 200 euro altogether....better get saving.... ;D :y

The Sheriff

Re: driving holiday
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2015, 16:17:58 »

Not in an omega? No..of course not....silly me for even thinking that..... ;D

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2015, 16:34:52 »

oh yes lol...just having the engine split and rebuilt....and i will have breakdown cover haha...and my trusty tool box with me too...

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2015, 16:59:31 »

well me and my brother are planning driving to malaga from leeds......should be fun....getting the chunnel over to froggy land then driving thru france and spain.....just been looking....frogot about the tolls and the other things that are compulsary to have in the car....the tolls are gonna cost about 200 euro altogether....better get saving.... ;D :y

am doing it meself the other way round this week .
done it about a dozen times now.
and going no tolls takes the same time as with tolls!! anywhere between 23 and 25hours non stop :y
check out newhaven to dieppe, its 39quid much better then the tunnel or dover ferry!

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2015, 17:21:52 »

its about 65 quid return on ferry...so might be doing that instead of the tunnel

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2015, 17:45:57 »

yup more money saved on ferries and tolls the more you have for important things like drinking and eating! Im about 40mins from malaga,
dont like the place though lol, we are out in the campo where its lovely and truely spanish unlike malaga,
if you go calais go eo5 to rouen, then bordeaux then san sebastion, then burgo then madrid then granada then malaga, this missies the fetid hole that is paris! :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2015, 17:49:07 »

yup more money saved on ferries and tolls the more you have for important things like fuel. Im about 40mins from malaga,
dont like the place though lol, we are out in the campo where its lovely and truely spanish unlike malaga,
if you go calais go eo5 to rouen, then bordeaux then san sebastion, then burgo then madrid then granada then malaga, this missies the fetid hole that is paris! :y
Fixed :y

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2015, 17:50:16 »

I have always liked taking the ferry to Santander, then near enough a straight run down... Have a great and safe journey and break..
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2015, 17:50:55 »

Sounds good when are you doing this trip?

Camping? Hotels?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2015, 17:51:21 »

yup more money saved on ferries and tolls the more you have for important things like fuel. Im about 40mins from malaga,
Fixed :y

lol well off toll the price is about 25cent cheaper than on it! rip off bastards the french! that why the only tol i do is from rouen to calais after filling up on the n10 where its very cheap! lol

hawke113a

• Intermediate Member
  • leeds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2015, 18:52:49 »

thinking about oct....my mum lives in torre del mar in malaga....so hotel not needed...more money for beer.....and tolls lol

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2015, 18:54:06 »

its about 65 quid return on ferry...so might be doing that instead of the tunnel

I'm off to France again in March. My parents have had a property near Cognac for 25 years, and we're going to visit my aunt who lives near Mont de Marsan close to the Spanish border.

My experience of using the tunnel is that it always costs double what the ferry does, and you might save 45minutes. If you've come from Leeds, then you're probably  going to want a bit of a break and some food, which you can do on the ferry, and that easily gives you the time back. I live 45minutes from both Dover and Folkestone, and can time my arrival at Dover so that we normally drive straight onto the boat. Breakfast and a couple of coffees mean I don't need to stop for lunch, which means even more time I claw back.

As for the tolls, if you want to meander through France as part of your holiday, then avoid them and have fun. It's a beautiful country. But if you actually want to get to Spain(or indeed anywhere specific), then you'll save time and money blatting down the motorway. I can do the 725miles from my aunt's house to Calais in ten hours on the motorway; I know friends who can't get to our house in that time as they insist on not paying the tolls As they're a rip-off. I suspect that you'll easily spend the amount you 'saved' on extra fuel, food and farting about. It's also next to impossible to get lost on the motorway; that isn't the case in rural France!
« Last Edit: 01 February 2015, 18:55:49 by Nick W »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2015, 19:05:35 »

thinking about oct....my mum lives in torre del mar in malaga....so hotel not needed...more money for beer.....and tolls lol

lol she does? Torre del mar is in malaga province but not Malaga! its 35 mins down the road from me!!
im up just past Lake Vinuela!!

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2015, 19:13:14 »

I'm off to France again in March. My parents have had a property near Cognac for 25 years, and we're going to visit my aunt who lives near Mont de Marsan close to the Spanish border.

My experience of using the tunnel is that it always costs double what the ferry does, and you might save 45minutes. If you've come from Leeds, then you're probably  going to want a bit of a break and some food, which you can do on the ferry, and that easily gives you the time back. I live 45minutes from both Dover and Folkestone, and can time my arrival at Dover so that we normally drive straight onto the boat. Breakfast and a couple of coffees mean I don't need to stop for lunch, which means even more time I claw back.

As for the tolls, if you want to meander through France as part of your holiday, then avoid them and have fun. It's a beautiful country. But if you actually want to get to Spain(or indeed anywhere specific), then you'll save time and money blatting down the motorway. I can do the 725miles from my aunt's house to Calais in ten hours on the motorway; I know friends who can't get to our house in that time as they insist on not paying the tolls As they're a rip-off. I suspect that you'll easily spend the amount you 'saved' on extra fuel, food and farting about. It's also next to impossible to get lost on the motorway; that isn't the case in rural France!

lol agree with all that except, sat nav does not get lost,and if going to calais I allow the toll from rouen to calais as its only 13 euro,the rest i have to admit is just blatting down though country roads in rural france,but here is the thing done tolls 3 times,all the rest have been no tolls apart from the aforementioned, and it takes the same amount of time to malaga,part of the reason i think is the blasted queue,s at the tolls when you have to stop get out walk round to pay then get back n,average time at a tol both including quing for me is around 7 or 8 mins,add that up over 1500 mles of driving at about 1 an hour and it soon takes up the time,hence  go no tolls,much less stress,easier to stop anywhere, cheaper fuel,better views and you have to concentrate on the road rather than drone on and on on the toll roads

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2015, 19:39:06 »

I used to be very pro-tunnel. But you have to be aware they can invalidate your ticket on a whim (and if its a return ticket, that means you are force to pay nearly £200 to get home). Best avoided at all costs.

A longer ferry, say Plymouth-Caen, allows a bit of a relax, even a kip, after the 4-5hr trip from Leeds, and gets you a bit nearer. Best of all, it avoids Calais ;D

I've taken my Omegas over there several times, and its going again in June.

Having suffered a failed crank sensor in France, and the car being delivered back to Blighty several days after I got home, I'd recommend all V6 owners take one ;D.

Don't treat the toll roads like German Autobahns. The local authorities take a dim view, and Brits are easy targets. Off the tolls, the limits are lower (normally 90k, motorways/tolls are 130k in dry, 110k in wet) but you get to see more.

Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.