Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: cambelt changed and not happy  (Read 2623 times)

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
cambelt changed and not happy
« on: 04 October 2007, 20:00:45 »

higuys finally add the omega into VX today for the cambelt changing and am not happy :-[the cost was 330 for the full cambelt kit i dont mine paying as ive no idea about engines,just the genral etc,ok so on picking the car up i was informed they was a slight coolant leak suspect heater exchange ok i said paid the money jumped into the car drove no more than 10 mins to pick my daughter up and the car started overheating .i rang VX they told me to take the car back although the cars overheating anyway i got it back to them in time before they shut handed the keys over and they told me it will be looked at tomorrow..

can you guys give me any info to what the problem is any advice so i dont get fobbed of tomorrow by VX

i realy do feal it was a quicky job as they was a couple of pipes which was not fasten back on propley just a complete sham of a job.

am just going to take it out on the dog now lol  

Grumpy

• Manchester
    • View Profile
Re:  cambelt changed and not happy
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2007, 20:18:05 »

So........
The car wasn't overheating when you took it in.
After they've worked on it it overheats after 10 mins.
They say a slight leak from the heat exchanger???????
Do they mean the radiator at the front of the engine?
Or the cabin heater matrix where they wouldn't have been anywhere
near doing a cambelt change?

Where was the leak from?
How much did you you lose to overheat in 10 mins?
Is there any damage to the radiator near where they were
working, that looks like impact damage from careless use
of tools?
If the radiator is damaged on the rear, the engine side, it's
likely that something has hit it from the engine side. This can
only be done by someone working within the engine bay unless
your fan or shroud is damaged or loose.

Mick_600

• Warrington, Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2007, 20:46:24 »

Hi, If they say a slight coolant leak, surely they must have seen fluid in which case I would have thought they would have seen where it was from.

Having watched a couple of guys change my belt who really knew what they were doing (they used to build the v6 engines when they were made at elsmere port) I could see that it is tight getting the ram system out out between the engine and the radiator pretty much right the way accross and a coupld of extremeties which could cause damage if they weren't taken off carefully.

Having said that I gather a common cause of leaks on the omega is the heater distribution control that at the back of the engine, not to expensive as a part but a bugger to get at. Would be a bit if a coincidence though but this would have nothing to do with the cambelt change.

If they do say radiator,any other part at the front or you don't know what they mean, you should ask them to see the old part and get them to show you where it came from. If you aren't satisfied you should take the old part away with you so you could get a 2nd opinion as to the cause.

Hope this helps.

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2007, 20:53:06 »

So........
The car wasn't overheating when you took it in.
After they've worked on it it overheats after 10 mins.
They say a slight leak from the heat exchanger???????
Do they mean the radiator at the front of the engine?
Or the cabin heater matrix where they wouldn't have been anywhere
near doing a cambelt change?

Where was the leak from?
How much did you you lose to overheat in 10 mins?
Is there any damage to the radiator near where they were
working, that looks like impact damage from careless use
of tools?
If the radiator is damaged on the rear, the engine side, it's
likely that something has hit it from the engine side. This can
only be done by someone working within the engine bay unless
your fan or shroud is damaged or loose.

the car as never overheated
after driving the car for 10 mins i noticed the temp go up pritty quick and then noiticed steam coming from under the bonnet.
i pulled over lifted the bonnet and water had come out of the coolant box(not sure if thats the right word for it)i then took the top of the coolant i noticed the coolant had dropped by half to what it was before taking into VX  :'(

help :'(
i just feel it was a rush job.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2007, 20:54:18 »

They shouldn't have had to disturb the cooling system at all - unless they changed the waterpump. Even still, it would take a special kind of muppet to make a mess of this.

They handed the vehicle back in a state where it would have destroyed itself had you not had an eye on the gauge. I would insist that it was working when you gave it to them, they have broken somnething so they need to fix it gratis.  >:(

For that sort of money this level of service is unacceptable.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2007, 21:08:23 »

They shouldn't have had to disturb the cooling system at all - unless they changed the waterpump. Even still, it would take a special kind of muppet to make a mess of this.

They handed the vehicle back in a state where it would have destroyed itself had you not had an eye on the gauge. I would insist that it was working when you gave it to them, they have broken somnething so they need to fix it gratis.  >:(

For that sort of money this level of service is unacceptable.

Kevin

i agree with you kevin its just not on and to had to it i know its nothing but the drivers feet mat was filthy on picking the car up and i always keep my cars in good clean condition,they is going to be a few harsh words tomorrow

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2007, 21:43:02 »

As said, unless waterpump changed at the same time, the cooland system should be untouched apart from the smallest of water loss when the inlet/throttle bodys are disconnected.

Sounds like a big airlock.  If they were pushed for time then probably just filled it with water and left it at that without bleeding air properly.

If a real leak, then the oil cooler would be almost visable if the plenum removed.  May have seen old water in the bottom of the V....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2007, 22:46:18 »

Water pump is what springs immediately to mind.  If they removed the pipes from the throttle bodies, perhaps an issue there...
Grumpy old man

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2007, 23:01:33 »

sorry to sound sceptical here but the 'water leaking round the oil cooler' is one i have heard on a number of occasions now.

I was told it after i had mine done and i know of a couple of others who have been spun the same yarn, they told me mine was so bad the oil cooler was badly rusted......however when i asked if they had taken it out they said no!!!!

It would seem that this is a well used phrase as an oil cooler can be done in a short space of time and could be a real money earner for a dealer..........

Since mine was diagnosed i have not touched it, that was 50,000 miles ago and still she plods on not losing a drop of water....

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2007, 17:58:27 »

update  :-[
  after ringing vauxhall to get a quick up date on the car they said they was a fault from what they could see was the heat exchange and is going to cost me around 700 quid, ye right  i said a few harsh words blar blar blar told them they is no way on this earth am going to pay a single penny for something your guys ave caused they then said ok we will take it out on a run monday and take it from there.

a weekend without my car then  >:(

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2007, 18:37:13 »

update  :-[
  after ringing vauxhall to get a quick up date on the car they said they was a fault from what they could see was the heat exchange and is going to cost me around 700 quid, ye right  i said a few harsh words blar blar blar told them they is no way on this earth am going to pay a single penny for something your guys ave caused they then said ok we will take it out on a run monday and take it from there.

a weekend without my car then  >:(

I would get intouch with customer complaints at vauxhall head office and tell them what the garage has done. I am sure they will have some force on them and get intouch with them and tell them to repair what it is they have done free of charge, even if this means they replace damaged parts at there cost.
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2007, 18:44:53 »

i love how they're quick to diagnose a fault and say "give us £700 to fix it" but when you tell them "no" they say "we'll give it a run and look for a cheaper fault to fix!"

timbuk needs to open his "omegarage"! :D

Mick_600

• Warrington, Cheshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2007, 19:25:03 »

You didn't ask for a courtesy car then ?? ;)

Craig_R

• Omega Knight
  • Watford
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2007, 20:17:05 »

looks like VX strike again

what a total bunch of muppets they are  :-? :-?
Mod's
LPG, MV6 Dark Grey Leather, Carputer, Euro Grill, Rear Sun Blind,  Auto Dip Mirror, Cruise Control, AMP for Carputer
[To be Fitted]Reverse Sensors

Richard A

• Aldridge, West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2007, 20:25:33 »

Thank them for there advise, but say 'before you authorize the repair you wish to have the car inspected by an independent engineer ie AA, RAC', (it will cost you £35/£50 quid), much better than giving a Vauxhall "stealership" full access to your wallet.  :y
best regards
richard
richard a

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2007, 00:34:02 »

.. and threaten to go to trading standards and VX head office with the evidence of the engineer's report if it finds them lacking.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 October 2007, 01:12:43 »

Shame you are not closer, I bet they missed a clip of the throttle body coolant hose, or a bolt out the water pump, or something daft...

Sir Gingerlot

• Leicester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 October 2007, 08:27:25 »

You are legally required to pay for the parts they have fitted when changing the cambelt. However I would not just be refusing to pay anymore I would be insisting that if they do not put it right that you also try and recover part of the £330 you have already paid. They have negated on the initial contract by returning the car not how it was and also not fit for purpose. Don't get angry with them but make it very clear what you want them to do and put it in writing to the manager if they start to resist.

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2007, 21:10:58 »

thanks guys for your thoughts and help on the matter,i again contacted VX this morning and told them not to take the car out on a run monday as this will do even more damage to the engine the latest is, they are going to get there so called head mechanic to have a look at the car monday. ive been in touch with trading standards this morning they have told me to put into writing everthing whats happened and therefore give VX 5 working days to resolve the matter otherwise it will be taken further.

am going to fight them all the way

whish me look.

ill update again on monday.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2007, 08:45:49 »

thanks guys for your thoughts and help on the matter,i again contacted VX this morning and told them not to take the car out on a run monday as this will do even more damage to the engine the latest is, they are going to get there so called head mechanic to have a look at the car monday. ive been in touch with trading standards this morning they have told me to put into writing everthing whats happened and therefore give VX 5 working days to resolve the matter otherwise it will be taken further.

am going to fight them all the way

whish me look.

ill update again on monday.

Go for it mate  :y

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2007, 17:41:54 »

if the heater exchange is the fault how much should i expect to pay from a garage NOT vx.is this a big job.

cheers lads

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 October 2007, 18:16:24 »

update

after many phonecalls today i left work and went down to VX asked to speak to the top man,we went throw everthing he said he taken the car out on a test drive and they was no overheating,engine noise he put it down to the muppet who changed the belts seemed to have overtighten them ok so tomorrow he him self is going to strip the engine and re-do the belts as for overheating well all i can do at this point is to take is word...hhhhmmmm

maybe a different story once i pick the car up tomorrow.

one thing for sure am not driving the car of there premise until am happy :y

ricardoman

• yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2007, 18:09:06 »

update
  after working away and getting the phone call id been waiting for finally my mv6 is ready  :ypicked the car up and now a happy chap :)

overheating was down to one of the muppets at vh for what evereason did not put the coolant top back on properly,they said the first cambelt kit they put on was faulty :-/

can i ask as he pointed out the manifold was blowing,is this a pain of a job and expensive

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2007, 21:47:03 »

Will probably cost a lot in terms of time , depends also which side is blowing . Mines been blowing since I've owned the car , but stops when it's warmed up and has always passed MOT ok (touch wood)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.