Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Solar charger  (Read 7552 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Solar charger
« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2012, 08:56:32 »

.....- even up north !!

We do see the sun up here sometimes!  ;D ;D ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2012, 11:28:02 »

.....- even up north !!

I bet you can`t name both days though !!   :P
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2012, 11:36:25 »

.....- even up north !!

I bet you can`t name both days though !!   :P

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mathewst

• Omega Knight
  • Split, Croatia
    • v40
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2012, 13:50:28 »

Guys I have an idea.
Buy smaller panels and leave your cars at my country  ;D
They should  receive a decent amount of sun here.
Alos try to leave the keys at my possesion for safekeeping ( and some spare parts  ;))

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2012, 14:33:04 »

Been there, got the T Shirt, IMHO waste of time if your looking at the cheap Maplin charger ones, there just not up to the job in this country, they need strong direct sunlight for hours and even if the get that they overheat, making them less efficient.

If you was going down the Solar route you would be looking at a Panel nearly the size of the Cars roof with some intelligent charge controller attached.

Cant see why a working battery wouldn't hold up to the job of starting the car once a week, I would save your money and probably invest in a second battery and jump leads for the boot, if your cars not parked near mains.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2012, 15:51:53 »

The size of the solar panel will give a rough indication of how well it will work. Just for comparison, I have a large panel about 24"x12" on my garage roof to keep my bike charged when not in use, and this struggles at times - if you are using one of those solar panels that will fit in your glovebox, then I hope the lead is long enough to reach the sun, as thats the only way you are going to get anywhere near enough out of it to keep a car battery alive.

The concept and idea is sound, its just that everybody goes for these tiny panels and expects miracles. Maplins have some nice , large panels for touring - look at something like this for your needs.

Thanks Dave, mine says it is rated at 2.4W, so I guess it will give about 1.75w in good sun, which will at least help. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 May 2012, 17:37:05 »

I'm sure someone will know this. How can I feed a wire through from the battery/fusebox area to the glove box without dismantling anything, or must the glovebox come out? The panel is giving 19.7 volts at 5.30 this evening. Is that any good?
« Last Edit: 30 May 2012, 17:40:59 by Shackeng »

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 May 2012, 18:59:35 »

I'm sure someone will know this. How can I feed a wire through from the battery/fusebox area to the glove box without dismantling anything, or must the glovebox come out? The panel is giving 19.7 volts at 5.30 this evening. Is that any good?
there is a rubber gromet in with the pollen filter area if good size to fit with other wires an comes out in to of glove box area.
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 May 2012, 19:01:30 »

There should be plenty of permenent 12v behind glovebox. Remember to fuse it, 1.7W isn't much more than 100mA, so no need to go mad over cabling.
Grumpy old man

Martian

« Reply #24 on: 30 May 2012, 19:11:17 »

Volts doesn't count for too much (especially when measured "off load" as you have), what matters is the current.
19.7V will cremate your battery in ordinary circumstances, but as this is a solar panel I doubt very much it has the current to back it up.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 May 2012, 20:44:04 »

there is a rubber gromet in with the pollen filter area if good size to fit with other wires an comes out in to of glove box area.

Yes I can see that cable grommet, but by it's height off the ground it looks as though it will come out somewhere in front of the airbag, so I guess access to the 'inside' of the grommet is with the glovebox out???

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 May 2012, 21:12:07 »

Yes I can see that cable grommet, but by it's height off the ground it looks as though it will come out somewhere in front of the airbag, so I guess access to the 'inside' of the grommet is with the glovebox out???

I used this grommet to for a cable, but I didn't remove the glove box. I poked a piece of wire through from the bonnet side & then looked up behind the glove box for my wire.  :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 May 2012, 22:12:30 »

I would find a live feed under the dash rather than trying to poke a wire through that grommet, personally.

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 May 2012, 23:00:40 »

Thanks for all the help, I shall look for the live feed inside first, but I'm not going to enjoy the grovelling on my back.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 May 2012, 23:02:02 »

Thanks for all the help, I shall look for the live feed inside first, but I'm not going to enjoy the grovelling on my back.  :y

Remove the two screws from above the fuse box & pull the whole thing out .............. as far as the wiring behind will allow.  ;) ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.