Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: traffic info for sat nav on 2015  (Read 5665 times)

feeutfo

traffic info for sat nav on 2015
« on: 30 October 2008, 00:13:19 »

it has most things on the sat nav but how do you get traffic info involved on the route planner? Is it possible. I saw a post a long while back about an option being grayed out and needing to subscribe. Can see the greyed out box but how do you subscribe? I think its a 2001 disc. Ta.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: traffic info for sat nav on 2015
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2008, 01:15:20 »

TMC is only overlayed on a few stations (Classic for one), never enabled on the UK versions of Navteq AFAIK

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2008, 10:43:58 »

TMC is only overlayed on a few stations (Classic for one), never enabled on the UK versions of Navteq AFAIK

Works fine in France, when I was, there but not in Uk :-(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2008, 18:14:27 »

Classic FM is only station with TMC.  TMC in UK is encrypted, so needs a map disk which has the TM licence on it.
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2008, 18:22:10 »

Classic FM is only station with TMC.  TMC in UK is encrypted, so needs a map disk which has the TM licence on it.
How can i tell if my disc has it? I presume the fact that the  box is greyed means its not on the disc? And that new disc is needed with it on? Then i have to listen to classic fm all day?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2008, 18:47:50 »

How can i tell if my disc has it? I presume the fact that the  box is greyed means its not on the disc? And that new disc is needed with it on? Then i have to listen to classic fm all day?
Your disk won't have it - never seen one with it.

Option not grey out on mine, its just it never shows anything, even if I go in to TMC msgs, though it does prompt me to retune to TMC enabled station all the bloody time

Yes, it has to be tuned to Classic, so your choice is Classic, CDs, or no TMC
Grumpy old man

NickA

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2008, 23:31:03 »

It's a real pain it doesn't work in the UK especially when you see how effective it is when driving in France. The map is marked with the roadworks/holdups and the Satnav offers to divert you around any really major holdups. The TMC messages are pretty useful as well.

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2008, 00:22:15 »

Your disk won't have it - never seen one with it.

Option not grey out on mine, its just it never shows anything, even if I go in to TMC msgs, though it does prompt me to retune to TMC enabled station all the bloody time

Yes, it has to be tuned to Classic, so your choice is Classic, CDs, or no TMC

Its Tmc messages thats greyed out in the menu, i checked on the way home tonight,i cant select it. Still a bit confused tbh. You tune to classic and the message appears in tmc messages? You select it and the traffic appears on the screen? Is that how it works. Except it doesnt work in this country? Aye?
Does it work at all, or not?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2008, 08:28:23 »

Cant really speak for the Omega on this one, but generally the following would apply.

TMC is broadcast in the UK via the Classic FM network, but unlike the rest of Europe where it is free, surprise surprise, in the UK we have to pay for it on a subscription basis.

This is generally done via the purchase of a Navigation software disc with the subscription fees included. ten years ago, when you bought an updated software disc, there were often two versions available, one with TMC and one without, and you paid accordingly. Most Navigation systems nowadays automatically have TMC included in the software as they found that automatically including it at the time of purchase was the only way that anybody ever received any revenue for it.

Again, going back ten years, Some of the Philips and Carin systems (unsure about Omega?) certainly had the TMC logo shown on the screens, but it would not work unless you purchased an external TMC receiver and aerial that came with its own software - this continued on most of the Early VDO / VDO-Dayton systems also - although like many other dealers around the country, we were left with them in our stockrooms gathering dust for the same reasons - in the early days of TMC nobody wanted to pay extra for it.

Although commonplace now, unsure if TMC software (or any hardware if required) would be retrospectively available for what now could be considered a very old and near obsolete system?

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2008, 09:47:47 »

My TMC working in France last year, coming into Le Mans a week before the 24hr race (it was qualifying weekend) The red/white dashed line and the exclamations marked triangles are the warnings..

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2008, 10:31:12 »

Worth having isn`t it !!   :y

I use TMC abroad a hell of a lot, and it really annoys me that we often have to purchase extra bits / software / hardware / licences to use it over here.

>:(
www.dndservices.co.uk

feeutfo

« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2008, 00:29:34 »

Worth having isn`t it !!   :y

I use TMC abroad a hell of a lot, and it really annoys me that we often have to purchase extra bits / software / hardware / licences to use it over here.

>:(

Ok, looks handy as you say, so Weds has it and its all capable, but, it does not work in uk because... the license is not valid?.... Or...?

I take it the european version of the disc dont work over here either?

Weds thanks for posting the pick. Looks good. Do you know which version disc you have? And is your tmc box greyed out in the uk.? As mine is? Presumably you have tried classic fm?

Should i stop banging on about it, as it just dont work here ?

« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 04:13:54 by chrisgixer »

Albatross

• Omega Baron
  • Bedford
  • An LSD & an S2000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 November 2008, 01:56:27 »

No don't stop banging on about it. This is a post worth watching.

If I can do anything to work on this I will too.

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 02 November 2008, 04:26:18 »

No don't stop banging on about it. This is a post worth watching.

If I can do anything to work on this I will too.

well i did some googleing and looks hopefull, possibly. from the saab forum
http://www.saabscene.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31640375

seems easy enough according to the tmc web site,
http://www.tmcforum.com/en/about_tmc/tmc_faq/

tried classic earlier and nothing, tmc messages still greyed out in both sat nav and tuner. tmc settings can be selected but all in there is greyed out also. re checked the disc and mine is actually 2003-1 what ever that means/ dont know if thats the latest disc? suspect not....?

when sat nav is on the screen and the disc is removed, the address and route options are then greyed out and can not be selected as they are no longer available. this would imply tmc is not available either on my version??

i suppose if weds can confirm his tmc is not greyed out at any stage then that would help. also what version he and others have....?

How about yours Nathen?
« Last Edit: 02 November 2008, 05:23:44 by chrisgixer »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2008, 08:56:58 »

For the record, the SAAB system was a bit more expensive, and the TMC subscriptions were included at UK and European level. Vauxhall cut a few costs and made it an upgrade that I`m not sure if they ever implemented in the UK, as they had got around the customer TMC requirements by having the optional TMC box already.

It was probably not cost effective for Vauxhall to provide Sat/Nav TMC costing megabucks to implement, when they struggled at the time to get people to buy the smaller box that hid under the dash and did virtually the same thing (and worked in the UK !)
www.dndservices.co.uk
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.