Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: NCDC2013 gremlins ?  (Read 4874 times)

kevpuk

• Poole
    • View Profile
Re: NCDC2013 gremlins ?
« Reply #45 on: 21 February 2009, 22:10:32 »

Booo ! Had the battery off today on failed attempt @ replacing the ABS/TC ECU ( >:() and still no navigation.....looks like a laser is next step.......

Is the unit spitting the disc out?

no - just refuses to give me 'updating' position/map etc. Thing is, as I have mentioned before, when in the service/test menus, everything appears to be updating fine (position, coordinates, speed, elevation and so on)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #46 on: 22 February 2009, 09:02:36 »

Are you getting a speed pulse signal from the car?

Not to be confused with the signal from the GPS antenna also showing movement.

If you have lost speed pulse, the unit may still show signs of movement from the GPS signals, but as this is a secondary method of checking where you are, rather than the primary method of tracking where you are by speedpulse and Gyroscope, its possible that the map would remain stationary if the signal were lost.

Not sure how you check it on an Omega, but someone will be along soon with some advice. Tech2 maybe? Even try with GPS aerial unplugged?

:-/
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22 February 2009, 10:20:02 »

Are you getting a speed pulse signal from the car?

Not to be confused with the signal from the GPS antenna also showing movement.

If you have lost speed pulse, the unit may still show signs of movement from the GPS signals, but as this is a secondary method of checking where you are, rather than the primary method of tracking where you are by speedpulse and Gyroscope, its possible that the map would remain stationary if the signal were lost.

Not sure how you check it on an Omega, but someone will be along soon with some advice. Tech2 maybe? Even try with GPS aerial unplugged?

:-/
With the siemens unit fitted, unlike the carins, it would appear that speed and gyros are not primary, but used when no gps
Grumpy old man

kevpuk

• Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22 February 2009, 10:36:07 »

Well, my ABS/TC ECU is dead currently - spare waiting to go on, but failed miserably in my attempt yesterday :( - and so I have no speedo atm ? Likely contributor ?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22 February 2009, 10:38:02 »

Well, my ABS/TC ECU is dead currently - spare waiting to go on, but failed miserably in my attempt yesterday :( - and so I have no speedo atm ? Likely contributor ?
hmmm, i guess fix the known faults first, ie abs
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 22 February 2009, 10:40:49 »

actually, more i think about it, more it needs the speed pulse, even if it seems to place more emphasis on gps than mechanical inputs than the carin units did
Grumpy old man

kevpuk

• Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 February 2009, 11:10:11 »

mmmm, so now I am starting to get hope ;)

The AB/TC ECU is going to be fixed sometime soon - a guy I know is hopefully going to do it - perhaps the gremlins will disappear at the same time  ::)

kevpuk

• Poole
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23 February 2009, 15:16:46 »

YAYYY !

Excellent news.......seems that the navigation works perfectly when the ABS/TC light is not on......
So my imminent replacement ABS/TC ECU (tried and failed to do it myself  :-/ ) from the garage guy will make my satnav all spangly again  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 23 February 2009, 17:44:19 »

YAYYY !

Excellent news.......seems that the navigation works perfectly when the ABS/TC light is not on......
So my imminent replacement ABS/TC ECU (tried and failed to do it myself  :-/ ) from the garage guy will make my satnav all spangly again  :y
Thanks for the update - worth remembering that :y

I know the carin doesn't work (or even locate you if stationary) without the speed pulse.  As the Siemens can locate you via GPS without speed pulse, I thought it would be able to work without speed pulse. Obviously not ;D
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #54 on: 23 February 2009, 22:50:47 »

YAYYY !

I know the carin doesn't work (or even locate you if stationary) without the speed pulse.  As the Siemens can locate you via GPS without speed pulse, I thought it would be able to work without speed pulse. Obviously not ;D

Not quite, most of the dedicated in car systems (including most of, but maybe not all Carin versions) use a Speed pulse, gyroscope and a map to track you as you move along, and only look at a satellite every 30 seconds or so for confirmation of location. They do not track by satellite, although the location check every so often can make them appear as if they do.
www.dndservices.co.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 23 February 2009, 22:57:37 »

YAYYY !

Not quite, most of the dedicated in car systems (including most of, but maybe not all Carin versions) use a Speed pulse, gyroscope and a map to track you as you move along, and only look at a satellite every 30 seconds or so for confirmation of location. They do not track by satellite, although the location check every so often can make them appear as if they do.

I guess that's how the system knows your direction of travel when in an underground carpark etc?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #56 on: 23 February 2009, 23:15:16 »

YAYYY !

I guess that's how the system knows your direction of travel when in an underground carpark etc?

Correct, what makes the dedicated systems so much more expensive, and considerably better than the handheld ones for hikers and bikers, is the ability to track you accurately at speed in areas that are difficult to get a line of sight view of a satellite. Not just car parks, but tunnels, built up areas and anywhere with trees that are wet.
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 24 February 2009, 18:44:41 »

YAYYY !

Correct, what makes the dedicated systems so much more expensive, and considerably better than the handheld ones for hikers and bikers, is the ability to track you accurately at speed in areas that are difficult to get a line of sight view of a satellite. Not just car parks, but tunnels, built up areas and anywhere with trees that are wet.
I know the carin is pretty accurate - I used it before without the gps (each car had a carin, but initially only one gps mouse between them), and its not bad considering.  Yes it drifts, but I was still impressed
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.